Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dr P. please reply
missshortyd posted:
Hi FMily
I was in the hospital recently with chronic bronchitis and Rx COPD.
As I was reading some old post I noticed a lot of us have Allergies,COPD,ENT problems, High Blood Pressure and I was wondering if maybe there is a connection with FM.

thanks
shortyd

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Shortyd,

It may take a while for Dr. P to respond so I hope you'll keep checking back. In the meantime, I hope the hospital stay and any treatments are helping you feel better now.

P.S. I'm an asthmatic and have serious allergies (and have had them since I was a few days old). I don't know if there's a connection with FM but I do know what it's like to fight to breathe and I'm sorry you've been dealing with that.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

missshortyd replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
thanks caprice I'll keep checking back

booch007 responded:
NOT DR.P,

But I think he will tell you they are not related to FM, but you need to watch them along with the FM...

Your med regime can make some things worse. So it is important the lead doctor in your care is good with pharmacology. Just off the top of my head..our savella and your B/P wouldn't be good.

I see your morning coughing to clear you airways as a trigger for discomfort...would want you in the shower to inhale the warm air to liquify secretions and the warm shower on you back muscles to help them not to hurt so much after coughing.

But for the most part ...two independant things. I am sorry there is more on your plate. Dr. P will explain better I am sure. Just thought I would pop in here. Keep all your docs aware of changes in your care and use the SAME pharmacy for all meds so no interactions occur. Good luck, Nancy B

DakotaWilsonFM responded:
I deal with a lot of bronchitus and high blood pressure... My cardiologist says a lot of patients in pain have a lot higher bp then I do... He is always fighting with my other drs about not putting me on bp meds... for when I have low pain days my bp is terribly dangerously low on them.. and it being low can kill me faster then high according to him... and as long as mine is within his range he is happy... so far I have hit higher then his range maybe 4 times in the past year...

the bronchitus and probably copd as I will fight but the drs claim because I am a smoker... is probably just that because i smoke.. they claim I will feel better in those areas if I quit and I have set a date... and have started praying for the strength not to be too grippy and not to eat too much... plus I live with atleast one smoker who isn't going to be helpful... and he has already started the process of not being helpful lol... so I will need ways to tolerate his attitude and ridicule... I didn't make him my X husband 28 years ago for nothing... and as of lately I have been reminded well of why I did... lol...

I hope you feel better very soon... I will keep you in my thoughts...

take care...

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi shortyd,

I hope you are feeling recovered from your recent hospitalization.

A lot of us have issues that affect our respiratory system because of FM. They can include allergies, immune dysfunction, sinus problems, upper airway resistance syndrome, anxiety attacks; and can include what I would call "spin-off symptoms" from these issues such as bronchitis, asthma aggravation, cough, post nasal drip, sinus-type headaches, easily short of breath etc etc. So, technically, some with FM are more prone to getting chronic bronchitis-like symptoms.

There has been no definite relationship found between COPD and FM but both can cause breathing-related symptoms. People can have both conditions and those with COPD are more at risk for chronic bronchitis than those with FM only. Smoking or certain exposures can aggravate both. I often advise my patients on the hazards of smoking.

Hope this info helps.

Dr. P

TomJust replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Thanks for this response to shortyd, Dr. P.

I have experienced shortness of breath or "oxygen hunger" since my diagnosis with FM. MY PCP ordered x-rays and pulmonary testing and while my airways are not blocked I have slightly limited lung capacity. My doctor (a caring, compassionate guy who really listens to what I say) ceded that since so much of breathing is muscle related, that there might be a link. Other doctors I have seen have discounted the connection between respiration and FM. My psychiatrist told me that I'm short of breath because I'm "53 years old and have a gut." Yikes! Okay, so I'm 20 pounds overweight and working on losing it. But still...a little diplomacy goes a long way!
I haven't heard of upper airway resistance syndrome. I'm going to look that up.
Thanks for you input on this issue. Quite helpful to me!
Best to you, Tom

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
457 of 532 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.