Skip to content
internal body thermostat gone wild
NanaDevie posted:
Has anyone else experienced their internal body thermostat gone crazy? I've only seen this mentioned 2-3 times with Fibromyalgia and can't find any more info. I'd been thinking it was my hormones (I experienced surgically induced menopause 6yrs ago), but since I was dx with FM 3yrs ago, it has become a regular nuisance! I sweat profusely when I'm cold, but dislike getting overly hot. I wake up wet with sweat, other times I'm cold...
I'm on a lot of meds already, but sometimes still feel awful!

xperky responded:
My thermostat is wild too. If I move a little I get hot, hot. If I sit still I get cold, cold! Covers on, covers off in bed.

Fibro came on at the same time as menopause for me. So, I don't know the root cause of my hot/cold symptoms. Maybe both?

Have you ever wondered about a connection between menopause and Fibro in your case? I ask because I find it hard to believe there's not a connection in my case.

I found the ceiling fan, on low, was helpful while sleeping this summer. Last winter I had lots of layers on the bed. An extra blanket on my legs and feet was nice, plus wool socks over cotton socks.

It sure doesn't help with my insomnia issues!
With Compassion,
Margaret

dollbug replied to xperky's response:
Hello ....MiMi in NC...I wanted to mention that we have discussed this some....and I think Dr. P has a post about this...

Just wanted to say also....that I have found wearing the thin Cuddl Duds helps me....I wear them to bed...and they keep me warm...but not hot...I found them a couple of years ago...and was so very pleased with them...they are great also to wear when it is cold outside...I even wore them this summer...it seems to allow my body to stay cool enough but also warm enough....I do not quite understand how they work...as they are really light...

For those of you who are having an issue with body temps...you might want to try them...

Take care.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

booch007 responded:
Dr P speaks of our autonomic nervous system getting a bit messed up. BUT for me, and I can speak for me. I have a 2 part issue...maybe 3 part.

I am on Savella, which gives you sweats, I am on Tramadol..which will give you sweats amd I am 57 and in Menopause.

SO...the chlothes are on and then they are off and so it goes. I am into almost November here in NY with sleevlesss outfits. I wear a lab coat in the office and it is on and then off......

I was on a stressful call with the lawyers office on Friday and it triggered a flash with the stress of it all, I actually had water in the crook of my arms.........Just love this part of life!!

One thing I have added to my life and it really helps keep me comfortable is to use antiperspirant under my breasts..less sweating from there, bra is more comfortable and little risk of rash (fungus growing).B I G...I have a fan at the bottome of my bed to give a small breeze over me, despite the room temperature..it stops the wet flush in the night. These are my tricks.

I hope you get a plan and get througth this in comfort. It really is so hard to explain to a man or someone who has not had this sensatation. Like breast feeding...if you haven't done it and not felt "Let down" you can't explain it well.

Good luck...we are many in your shoes. Nancy B

Love being a woman with broken parts..............

dollbug replied to booch007's response:
Nana B.....you said it all

Love being a woman with broken parts..............

I think we women can all relate to this.....as it speaks with
so much volume....

Have a good week-end.....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

crazytaurenswife responded:
Once I'm in bed, my temp changes every few minutes. I'm either really hot or really cold when I first get in bed, then it switches a few minutes later....and again...and again...until I fall asleep. About the only thing I've found that helps is to keep at least one leg out from under the blankets. I seem to regulate my temp better that way.

If I can't wear a bra during the day, I've started wearing tank tops that I can tuck up under my breasts. It feels like my skin is tearing if I'm hot and I don't have anything under them.

Another thing I've noticed is that on my extremely bad pain days, I usually feel very cold. It makes it harder to get warm because the weight from blankets makes my skin hurt more.

crazytaurenswife replied to crazytaurenswife's response:
One other thing I meant to mention...I had a partial hysterectomy just after I turned 22 (10 years ago). According to my doctor, I haven't started menopause yet...but I've had symptoms off and on since a year or so after my surgery. I don't know which symptoms should be attributed to FM and which are due to perimenopause (the stage leading up to menopause).

JBirdFletcher replied to crazytaurenswife's response:
I also had a partial hysterectomy at age 26 with onset of fibro around the same time. My Gyno said the my overies work sometimes. I have been on and off of hormone thearpy since 2001. You might have those levels checked. Being a small thin person I always have problems regulating my body temp. I am also on Savella witch like the others said cause you to sweat. So you might also review your meds and see if they could be part of the problem. Having temp swings sure can make life interesting. Hot and naked one minute and freezing and bundled up like the kid from the Christmas movie. Just remember to laugh. Que Seria Seria. I hope that helps.
Keep moving

xperky replied to dollbug's response:
MiMi, those thin Cuddl Duds sound nice.
With Compassion,
Margaret

crazydoxymama responded:
I'm right there with you babe! A big part of the sleeping problems I have is because I feel burning-up hot and then a minute or two later, I have cold sweat chills and my teeth almost chatter. It is terrible!! I can deal with the constant pain better than the sleep deprivation.

I get so tired that I have fallen asleep with food half-way to my mouth, while on the telephone with no feeling of tiredness before I just wink out and during a face-to-face conversations with people. It's very embarrassing when you open the door and find a county sheriff standing there wanting to make a check on you because you fell asleep while talking to a friend long-distance and she was concerned that something had happened to you. It did but it wasn't catastrophic just aggravating to the nth degree.

I gave up laying in bed trying to will myself to sleep. I just go with the flow and get up to catch up on the postings here or do some quiet homemaking so that I won't disturb my neighbors. I'm tired all the time but at least I don't have that awful feeling of frustration because counting sheep, biofeedback, meditation, whatever, didn't work and time drags until it's finally time to get out of bed and my body just doesn't want to move.

Just know that, for what it's worth, there are a lot of us going through the same sleepless night with you.

NanaDevie replied to booch007's response:
Thanks to all those who sent their tips.
I'm on Savella, Skelaxin, Neurontin, Wellbutrin, and recently Propanolol. And these are just for FM ! I'll try the antiperspirant under the breasts, because I sweat there also-sometimes have to change shirt, because it gets too wet! I've gone to cotton bras, & that helps. I'll also only buy cotton, rayon, or knit tops, as I can't even try on something acrylic or polyester without breaking out in a sweat all over.
To XPerky: My hormones have been checked several times, & everything is normal there (for postmenopause). The temp changes are worse at night. I sleep with a fan on low, wear socks (cold feet), & stick a leg out of the covers when too hot, then wake cause I'm cold! OR wake all wet from sweating.
I'm sorry for those who have the same problem, but also glad to hear how others cope with this. THANKS

lpete301 replied to NanaDevie's response:
NanaDevie,

I have a question for you. How long have you been on the combination of savella, neurontin, and wellbutrin? I tried adding the Savella this summer (already taking 1800 mg Neurontin and 300 mg Wellbutrin) and had a horrible reaction of anger, hostility and short temper and after being off it for a few months still the noise sensitivity. I was only on the Savella for 3 weeks before I had to stop taking it. I was on a camping trip and had to go home after just 1 night. I was happy to have a few days to get the stuff out of my system with out the rest of the family around, but it was 4th of July. Fireworks in the neighborhood left me completely crazy!

I hope your doing well on the combination...The Propanolol works really well for my migraines.

Linda

Martha317 responded:
I was dx with FM about 15 years ago, I manage pretty well most of the time, but the sweating for the last 4 years or so is driving me insane, I have been to all kinds of doctors and I don't know who to turn to next. I carry washclothes with me all the time to dry my face and body constantly. I did have heat stroke when I was 30 and understand that my internal thermomoter is broke.

MaryBruce60 replied to Martha317's response:
I understand completely! Whenever I've brought up the profuse sweating to any doc, it's immediatly blown off as menopause. I'm 59, had a hysterectomy in my 30's. For some reason I'm not able to find the right words to explain the intense sweating, even when sitting still or the severe heat intolorance, which is getting worse with time. I was dx with fibro 5 years ago but know it started 15-16 years ago. I like the wash cloth idea. Tissues leave little pieces on my face. I've only seen this problem mentioned a couple of times and then with very little detail.

adgyb responded:
myboby thermostat has totally gone have to wrap up like an eskimo in winter in harare with blow heater on last spring was diagnosed with hypothermia in harare its unheard of will get eltroxin levels checked as have just seen this may be the problem

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.