Skip to content
speech being affected from fmd
lken641 posted:
Is there anyone else with FMS that their speech has been severely affected, just got out of the hospital as they thought I had a stroke due to my speech change, it is hard for me to talk and the sound of my voice now sounds southern and I live in RI, I now slur my words, my throat feels tight and the pain in my face is really bad. I have a hard time in the pronounciation of words. I sound like I did have a stroke. Does anyone else have this syptom and does anyone know why this is happening? I had the same speech problem when I had severe symptoms in 2001 but at that time the doctors had no idea on what was happening to me. While in the hospital the doctor ordered a brain mri of my brain and the nerve endings, catscan of brain, ultrasound of arteries in my neck, had me see a psychiatrist, I was on a heart monitor and had an eceagram of my heart and received hepron shots in my stomack which is a blood thinner. Every time I have an extreme fms symptoms, i eat but loose a lot of weight and in the hospital I weighed 93 lbs. I normally weigh 115 pounds as I am 5'1 last bad episode I went down to 85 lbs. The doctor also increased my pain medication to try to get my pain under better control until I see my pcp and can start cymbalta and soma as I was diagnosed on 9/27-11 after a very long 20 yrs of suffering with this and having no answers After 2 days of tests the doctor told me that my speech is another symptom of FMS and I need speech therapy. I would greatly appreciate everyone's input and to receive all the information I could possibly get on this subject.
Thank you so much,
Laurie

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I have speech issues with my FM too though mine don't sound nearly as extreme as yours.

I hope others here will share their ideas, experiences and suggestions. (((hugs)))

Have you begun to regain some of the weight you recently lost?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

mymyrt responded:
Hello, Laurie. I haven't been here much in a while, but I'm really glad I logged in today. I also have begun to have problems speaking, with stuttering, forming words, and repetition. Mom has AD, which of course scares me every time I have speech problems. I was not aware that FBS causes speech problems, but it sounds as though you had a very thorough workup. I'm sorry to hear you have been suffering so long with no diagnosis. I have had FB for 22 years, and was diagnosed in 2000. You are so tiny, I hope you can get your weight up soon. I have lost a great deal of weight over the past three years, but mine has been stress-related in combination with care-giving, and being so ill.

Thanks so much for sharing. It gives me a little hope.

Soft hugs to you.

Joan
Knowledge is power.

TJAutry responded:
I developed speech problems with Cymbalta. When I was switched from Cymbalta to Lyrica the speech problems slowly subsided and now only occur on occassion.

newgrandma1953 responded:
Hi Laurie,
I was diagnosed 2 years ago with FM. During that time I notice that I have to think before I speak, so that I make sense . I have difficulty expressing what I am thinking, or what I want to say. It is so frustrasting. I feel for you and what you are going thru. I cannot imagine how difficult this has been for you. This is the first time I have heard someone else discuss speech problems. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. You will be in my prayers.
God bless you,
Carol

Wolfsong452 responded:
I posted a while back. talking about some speech problems I was having. I thought I was stuttering, and someone explained it was something else.

Whoever told me this, please tell me again what it was.

Kind of getting stuck on one word, not being able to say the next word, but not the typical sta-sta-sta-rutting, that I know of.

It's a real pain, as I'm very much a talker, people have noticed and have asked me about it.

I've had people ask me where I'm from as I have a funny accent,

totally funny, as my fathers family has lived in Indiana since the 1800"s while my mothers familly has lived in Tenn. since the 1800"s also.

so totally funny on where I'm getting this problem.

I've even been asked where I am from, as some thing I sound German,

no one in my house speaks German, nor anyone close to me.

sooooooo,

guess it's FM

crazytaurenswife replied to Wolfsong452's response:
I sometimes wonder if some of my verbal problems are because I'm from Kansas, but I've lived in Canada a little over three years now. Up here, people stress different syllables and pronounce words differently than we do in the US (been is pronounced like we pronounce the word "bean"..."process" is pronounced "PRO sess"...and don't get me started on the letter Z!). It sometimes makes it hard to tell if it's my FM acting up or if I'm starting to pick up what I hear around me.

lken641 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I have gained 3 lbs and was at 97 lbs yesterday. I was in the hospital most of Aug for severe pouchitis and they think irritabowel syndrome as I had severe ulcerative colitis in 1989 and had my colon removed along with my appendix and most of my rectum and had reconstructive surgeries to put my illiostomy back inside and to connect it to the pouch they built inside to replace my colon.

So in Aug the doctors put me on a low fiber no fat diet. I just figured out that I needed a high carb diet and so far I am starting to gain some weight. I think another key factor is that the doctors increased my pain meds to lesson the extreme pain I am in now which helps me to be able to eat.

I love your saying, it is so true.
I also hope others will keep sharing and I am thankful for all the support that we give and receive to one another.

Thank you so much
Laurie

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to lken641's response:
I'm glad things are starting to improve for you now, Laurie. And thanks re the saying; I love it too.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

lken641 replied to mymyrt's response:
Joan, I am so glad that you saw this discussion and it has given you some hope. Yes, this speech problem is another symptom of FM. It has been a long struggle for me not being believed by the doctors I used to see and told it was all in my head and basically I was crazy. However, I did see a chiropractor who has known me since 1991 and knew I was very sick. When my speech changed in 2001 and I could not swallow and choked on my food, he worked on my neck and back for a while. The great news is that during one treatment, he cracked my neck and it released something and MY SPEECH CAME BACK TO NORMAL. I called and made an appt. with him starting on Tues. and am hopeful that this treatment will work again. I will lwt everyone know how it goes and if it does work again and if it ddoes work again, we may all have the answer. In the meantime I also have an appt to start speech therapy on Nov. 30th, and will keep everyone updated on that too. I have never been to speech therapy so I do not know what to expect. I changed my diet to a high carb diet and have gained 3 lbs. I find that even when I am very peaceful with hardly any stress I continue to lose weight and believe it is part of finding the right diet and also believe it has a lot to do with my hormones going crazy. I hope this information is helpful. I copied this discussion and took it to my FM doctor because many of these symptoms are still new territory and if we all work together we can find some peace and hope instead of being afraid and also help the doctors and researchers to all of our symptoms that have yet to be proven as part of FM. You are not alone and I hope you get some relief. I too am very sick right now and had to stop driving. My doctor increased my pain med. to try to give me a little more relief, today I will be in bed most of the day as I can hardly walk and it is hard to breathe today, just short breaths. I had pt in the pool yesterday, so I knew today would be a really bad day.
God Bless you,
Laurie

lken641 replied to newgrandma1953's response:
God bless you, Carol. You are not alone! I have every single symptom everyone has discussed, I too have to think before I speak and sometimes it still comes out wrong. Yesterday a woman who was also having pool therapy told me that she thought I was deaf because of the way my speech sounds and that my speech is very slow. It is so hard for me to keep talking as it makes my speech worse and last night and other times I could not speak at all, it was just too hard. And I love to talk! I have accepted that this is the way it is for now and am at peace now that I know that other people with FM have the same symptoms. I am sharing with everyone that when this affected my speech in 2001, I saw my chiropractor who has known me since 1991 to work on my neck and back due to the pain that I had no explanation for at that time. After several treatments, I went 3 x a week, he adjusted my neck and I felt something release and my voice came back to normal and I no longer had that lump in my throat or choked on my food. My speech stayed good until now. He explained to me that the first chiropractor worked on a mute man and after several treatments this mute man's voice came back and this is all documented. I have an appt tues. to start treatments with my chiropractor and will let everyone know if it works again. I also will start speech therapy the end of Nov, I have never had speech therapy so I do not know what to expect. I also gave a copy of this discussion to my FM doctor as we all need to learn and work together.
I will also keep you in my prayers.
The power of prayer moves mountains and keeps me at peace with all this.
Laurie

lken641 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you, my weight is improving but the pain is now at a level 9-10 most of the time and so tired can hardly walk and cannot drive anymore, my pcp increased the pain med which is helping right now they have me on percosett and I started cymbalta today and will be starting soma once approved by insurance co. I am very peaceful and remain is good spirits as you know it is just part of the course. I have replied to others to let them know that when I received treatments at my chiropractor in 2001 with same speech problem, it worked and I got my speech back, will be starting treatments again with him on tues. getting very tired so will go for now.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.