Skip to content
Just curious
missshortyd posted:
I was wondering how many of us with FM also have sleep apnea?

Dollbug responded:
Hello, MiMi in NC....I do not have sleep apnea...I do have issues sleeping though...and I can tell when I am stressed (even though sometimes, I do not "feel" stressed)....my sleep is always affected....

Interesting question....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Wolfsong452 responded:
well haven't been offically told that I have sleep apnea, though I do go for a sleep study with in the next couple of weeks.

I am like MiMi, not a good sleeper,

so it will be interesting to hear what the tests shows up.

interesting question.

missshortyd responded:
Good Morning Fmily
I wanted to bump this back up because while I was up this morning reading at 1am (sleep is rare for me ; - ( ) I found that a lot of us have sleep apnea and I know tha it's stress related so I was just curious as to how many there are.

((((((((((((((((((((Soft Hugs))))))))))))))))))

Linda

foreversore replied to missshortyd's response:
I don't know for sure if I have sleep apnea but I do snore when I manage to sleep. Like the others I don't get much sleep, maybe 4 hours on a good night.

Wolfsong452 responded:
guess I have to wait at least 2 weeks before I get the results back from my sleep study.

At that time, I will be able to tell you if I have sleep apnea, or something else.

Such as restless leg syndrome.

egads, just what I need.

sometimes I think hey!

give me the drugs, to sleep, to work, etc.

Yet, I know this isn't the way it's done,

also, it just doesn't work!

TomJust responded:
Hi All!

Just finished my second sleep study in 4 years. On the DL the technician told me that I had 2 apnea incidents and no limb movement. Same results as the last one. The formal results will be interesting to see how I pass through the sleep cycles. The last test showed that I fall into REM sleep very quickly and wake up then repeat that process. These days I am awake hourly through the night.

My psychiatrist has prescribed Klonopin for me to take at night. It makes me feel sleepy but does nothing to keep me asleep. Trazadone prescribed by my PCP worked well for me but the psychiatrist says it conflicts with Cymbalta. I'm going to start sleep counseling with a psychologist soon. Since drugs aren't working, it seems like a good idea...but it's not easy and can take months to achieve results.

What sleep medications are the rest of you using?

Tom

Dollbug replied to TomJust's response:
Hello Tom....MiMi in NC....I do not take anything but my vitamins and supplements....but I use to be up every hour on the hour....when I first got sick...and I do know that sleep is so very important for us FMers....

I just listed the vitamins and supplements that I take in todays TGIF post....I think that we FMers certainly lack something to have so many sleep issues...the doctor tried me on several medicines....but I did not have good results taking them...

I do know that taking a hot shower...using lavender baths salts help to relax my body....so that I rest better...
and I am one of the FMers here who sleep in a recliner....but I do not do this by choice...I do it to have less pain...

I am sure that you will find something that will work for you....but like anything else with the wrath of the dragon....this too takes time.....

And I have found that "stress" makes a BIG DIFFERENCE for me getting enough sleep...(sometimes we can NOT control)

Take care and good luck...

MiMi

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

TomJust replied to Dollbug's response:
Thanks MiMI! I admire you for your stick-to-it nature.

Dollbug replied to TomJust's response:
Tom....I think that each of us should do whatever it takes to learn how to cope better and feel better....if a person takes medicine for a reasonable amount of time...and it does "nothing" for them....then I do not think that it is a good thing....and especially if the medicine is actually causing other things for us to deal with...

When my dad got alzheimers....the doctors told me that he could take this or that medicine...and then provided the list of side effects that might happen in the process....OMG....I could hardly believe it...I decided that nope....I was not going to put him through this....

He actually existed for a long time....and with little to no others "issues" to deal with....why would anyone take something that would make things worse for them...

I do take Pristiq for depression....but to be honest with you...I am not sure that I was/am depressed....I do know though that this medicine helps me keep my emotions under control....I guess there are a lot of different definitions for what depression may or may not be...

But...I also know that people are different....so we, FMers....have to find what our body needs....and we must keep on keeping on....until we "feel" a difference...so we have to do whatever it takes...

I do know that at one point in time....I was so sick...that I could barely put one foot in front of the other....and my body hurt all over....this is NOT a good thing...

I do hope that you will find something to help you as I am sure there is something out there that will...

Take care...and good luck...

MiMi

TomJust replied to Dollbug's response:
Thanks again MiMi. When you share your experience with me it makes me grateful that I have had a relatively early diagnosis, that I've been through a pain management course and that I have doctors who know what I have and know that Fibromyalgia is a real condition.

I also know from the things you write, that if it gets worse for me that I can keep on going...that I might be down but I won't be defeated!

You'll be so proud...I asked my PCP to check my Vitamin D level and he already had it on the list of blood work to be done because he knows I have Fibromyalgia. My D levels are good!

I have tried many medication for depression over the years. I'll give Pristique some research.

Thanks for being here for me and for all the good you do for others.

Tom

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.