Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fingernails
sbncmo posted:
I've known for 20 years since I was diagnosed with FM, that it affects the fingernails with "beaking", where the nails curve down instead of straight out & the vertical lines. Well, I've had a new thing happen with my fingernails & wonder if it is related to FM or not. I keep my nails cut short because if they get 1/2 inch past the tip of my finger, they start to "beak" & if I let them go longer, they break off, so I just keep them cut. Well, this past month, my fingernail tips have become thin & very sharp. I file them flat, but they still seem thin & sharp. So sharp (and this is very embarrassing) that after I went to the bathroom & wiped myself, my fingernail cut thru the TP & sliced my delicate area, causing me to bleed for several minutes.

I know the change in my nails is not due to a change in diet. I'm diabetic & have been eating the same foods I've been eating for the last year when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I also know that it takes a few months for the nail that is at the tip to have reached that point from the base of the fingernail.

I have so many health issues & I'm in constant pain. I have spells where my skin burns if anyone or anything touches it. I was that way a couple of months ago & it lasted for a month. I don't know if that is FM or CMP or something else, but maybe it is connected with my fingernails.

I just wonder if anyone else has had similar fingernail problems - being thin & sharp.

Shelia

Dollbug responded:
Hello Shelia....MiMi in NC....on 9/13 I fell outside and crushed my wrist....had surgery 2 days later....and I am now in therapy with it....I am still having issues with trying to allow my hand to be palm up...and we do a lot of things which require this position....opening up a house door or car door is one example....anyway...since I have not been able to use my left hand as much...my nails are very long...

My daughter has always had very long and pretty nails....up until something happened to her...she found out that her Vitamin D was extremely low and after she started taking the prescription for Vitamin D...both her hair and her nails have improved...

I do not know if you have had your Vitamin D level checked...but if not...I would indeed encourage you to ask your doctor to check it...

I have also had problems with my nails breaking in the past...but since I have been on Vitamin D...not as much...
My left thumb nail gets to a point of length on it though...and it cracks right down the middle of the nail...and I have had the ridges on them also...

Low Vitamin D can also cause additional pain for some of us...and it can also affect other illnesses as well...

I hope that you will find something soon that will help you..

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

sbncmo replied to Dollbug's response:
Hi Mimi,

I've been on Calcium with vitamin D for years because my doctor caught osteoporosis very early & get my vitamin D checked yearly to check for problems with my thyroid or an autoimmune disease, but the tests are always normal. I also get monthly shots of vitamin B-12. Rarely my nails will flake off in layers & I have to file them down thin to get past the layers.

So, I appreciate that suggestion, but it doesn't seem to fit. My last vitamin D test was in July - normal.

Any other suggestions?

Shelia

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.