Skip to content
Small town docs...
ScooterPooterPuddinPie posted:
I posted this under another thread, but thought it should probably have it's own. I'm sorry, I'm new to this sort of thing!!

I have thisproblem with docs in my town, and have no idea what to do about it. The one time I went to the ER I was called a drug-seeker and discharged. The rhreumatologist I saw that diagnosed me told me essentially that people with RA have it much worse and I should change my diet. I am afraid to try to go to a different doctor because I don't want to be seen as "doctor shopping". It's a terrible position to be in in a small town. Any thoughts anyone?

booch007 responded:
First leave the small town! Go to the largest teaching facility in your area. Everyone has a Trauma Center and University Hospital somewhere close to them. You can start there...make the trip and get diagnosed and get started in the right direction. THEN.... this is the big part. Refer back to closer to home once on the right track.

We refer local all the time. It is hard for people to always stay with us. The docs have their friends that they know understand and care for their patients similarly. So, that is what I would do.

I have people that go down to Florida for trips and we have "connections there" to watch over if there is an issue.

Somebody always knows somebody......it is only the jerk that is in the mind set that you are a drug seeker.

When I was on my road to find my champion physician I had my list...

The list said: This is what I know is a triger for problems. This is what helps me *****ALL MY NON MEDICAL TRICKS*** and this is what I take to get by. I need your help as it is more then I can handle at this point.

At that time I also wanted a diagnosis!! I saw 9 doctors. I can tell you some real jerks I saw, some stupid answers out of some learned mouths. BUT THEY DIDN'T KNOW THIS.

It wasn't their road. For the most part rheumatology has been given this to follow. Try the University Rheumatology Dept and get an appointment. I will hope you will find the *teddy bear* in the group and have a good fit......they will make you feel better, even just emotional relief can make such a difference.

Make your list of the positive things you do for you....what issues you are still having trouble with and bring that to the office.

Look in to the books I use. FM and Chronic Myofascial Pain a survival manual by Dr Devin Starlanyl and the co-book THE ADVOCATE. This book is for the docs in your life and others that have issue. I bought it but don't really need it. You may find it so useful. They are on Amazon.com.

I wish you so much luck and keep on TRUCKIN....don't let anyone get in the way of you being cared for. This is a tough diagnosis and a tough life. BUT you can have a life with the right doc and care. Stay here, keep us posted on you issues and needs and we can help so much. Hugs, Nancy B

ScooterPooterPuddinPie replied to booch007's response:
Hi Nancy,
I really appreciate your reply and also the hugs! I have looked into teaching universities in arizona, and there is only one...which is Tucson, 7 hours away from where I live. I will check into those books you mentioned, but to be honest, I hurt so damn much, I can't function. I would try to go to phx to find help, but I don't know where to start...I can't just go down there and troll for docs, it's still 3 hours away...can't do a 6 hour drive in a day and not pay for it. Big time.
I'm whining again, I'm sorry, but I just feel abandoned here.
Cindy

Kinkatia responded:
I'm also from a small town, and if there's one thing I can suggest, it's keep trying. Before you see a new doctor, ask if he or she has any experience treating people with fibromyalgia, or anything else you might want to know before making an appointment. That way you won't have to go in if they're not going to be able to help.

Taking care of you is more important than how you're seen. Try doctors in the next town over, if you have to. You may not find anybody who knows enough to help you, but you ought to be able to find someone who believes you and is willing to learn so that they CAN help you.

I've also found that making the time and setting aside the energy to read some books helps. The one that's helped me the most is "The First Year: Fibromyalgia" by Claudia Craig Marek. I read it over the summer and it's helped me come to terms with a lot of stuff, given me helpful ideas for how to take care of myself, and has helped me be a better advocate for myself when it comes to dealing with healthcare professionals.

Hugs! I hope you find someone to help you get back on your feet! Don't give up, mmkay? Giving up is the single worst thing you could do for yourself.

booch007 replied to ScooterPooterPuddinPie's response:
Cindy,

So much can be done by computers these days. Look into the department on the University's websites and get informed. Some have email links that can begin your dialog.

The phone also can begin the process, the person on the other end of the phone will be aware you are choosing to travel quite a distance to SEE this doctor and get a good diagnosis and assessment of care. IT is hard in the beginning and traveling is what I would have done to where ever to get the right diagnosis and plan in place.

Ok, how about looking into the MD registry in your area plus a mile or two and see WHO trained at large facilities and is board certified in their area of expertise.........research the path you can take.

Some patients tell me when I ask, how did you find this MD? They say the researched and saw he trained at Duke, or Mt Sinai, or Colombia Presbyterian. So people walk the walk before they show up.

I wish I had more to give you, maybe the books will help a bit. Good luck, Nancy B

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.