Skip to content
A sad day (OT) maybe long
Wolfsong452 posted:
My father called on Sunday saying that one of his outside dogs wasn't eating, I told him to try some lunch meat, but she still wouldn't eat, yet she was running around a bit.

The dogs are 1 minature american eskimo, by the name of Cotton. The other is a Lab-collie mix. He has those Collie ears but he's all black. His name is Swab.

Monday, my father called again, saying Cotton was lying outside in the rain. He tried to catch her to bring her in the house but she wouldn't come.

When I got there she was really sick & in pain. She was moaning- groaning breathing hard. Father thought it was pnuemonia, or she was poisoned. I thought she had stomach problem.

I went and picked her up, calling her my Rotten Cotton. I took her into the garage, made her warm and comfortable, with water blanket etc.

I came back later and thought Cotton was looking better, yet she was moaning more. She'd moved and drank some water. I thought this was encouraging.

I had to go to my sleep test,

I called my father as soon as I could this morning,

Cotton died last night This was my mothers dog. My mother passed away in Feb. so of course my father is upset, he's blaming himself, for not taking her to the Vet.

I told my father that I'd be there to take care of her.

My father called me back,there something was wrong with Swab. He was standing by the patio door looking where Cotton lay barking at her. Swab has the Collie type of ears, with the tips folded over. This time they were standing straight up like a German Shepherds they'd never done this in his whole life that I know of.

When I got there, he was still barking. Him and Cotton had been yard mates for 11 years.

I let Swab into the garage, where he went and stood by Cotto He barked at her, then gave her a long sniff.

He then went and laid down in the far corner and just stayed there.

Swab refused to leave the garage. He's never done that, as he knows the routine, come in for some loving, a treat and then back in the yard.

I had to take him by the collar and bring him outside, where he again, stood by the door and barked at Cotton. My father said that Swab could stay in the garage while I went to dig a grave. My father wasn't able to help, he's 75 years old, even if he was a young man, he couldn't have helped.

I left the door open to the garage, Swab NEVER came out to help me. He was always a helper.

It took me over an hour to dig a grave, as it was steadily raining. I was soaked to the skin, head etc. At least my feet were dry. Love my duck boots.

This was also having just come from my lousy sleep study. Barely had any sleep at all last night.

Imagine what the rain and lack of sleep did to my FM.

Cotton was buried, me & father were crying, Swab refused to leave the garage. My father said that Swab could stay there for awhile.

My father and brother in law, went to help my brother move, thank goodness Chet is close to my father's age, good for him to have someone to talk to.

Swab is still refusing to leave the garage. My father says he can stay, just hoping he won't make a mess, as he'd never been house trained.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

spookiesmom responded:
I'm sending hugs for all of you. ((hugs))

fibroinsd responded:
So so sorry....wish I had better words...I am so sorry for your loss...hugs to you..I know this isn't easy..

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Wolfsong452 replied to spookiesmom's response:
thak you sending the hugs back,

Wolfsong452 replied to fibroinsd's response:
I tell my father, she had a good life, had some great adventures,

JBirdFletcher replied to Wolfsong452's response:
(((WOLFSONG)))

I am sorry to hear about your loss. It is never easy when a family member passes on. Know that she is in a better place chassing all of the tree rats she wants.

I am also soo sorry that you had your sleep study after such an ordeal. Perhapes because of the days events they will be able to find something that will work for you. It quite possiable could be your silver linning.

Let me know if there is anything I can do. Until then many warm gentle hugs.
I may have dyslexia and can't spell, I may have Brain Fog and not remember who you are, I may have tremors that scare you, I may drop everything I pick up but, By ALL I do it with everything I am!!!

Wolfsong452 replied to JBirdFletcher's response:
THANK YOU ALL FOR LETTING ME POST HERE.

I know pets, are not FM but they are always well loved and can do wonders for the body.

Even though Cotton wasn't my dog, I still cared about her, she was my unoffically adopted dog.

funny story, according to the humane society she was. Both her and Swab had escaped from the yard when I was pet sitting.

My parents had gone on vacation for a month. When I found them they were at the humane society, who wouldn't let me have them back unless I said they were MY DOGS. So, that's what I had to do.

THANKS AGAIN ALL,

This means a lot to me.

As of today, Swab is still grieving, he stayed in the garage all night, my father put him out this morning, but after a few mins. he started barking again, at the patio door.

He's still looking for Cotton.

I hope he's not going to get sick from this, as he is also 11 years old.

Dollbug replied to Wolfsong452's response:
Hello.....MiMi in NC....I am so sad about your dog passing and the other one grieving.....as they were pals...I am sure that this is really hard for the one left...they were probably soul mates as well....I hope too that the one living will not get sick from losing the other one....all you can do is try to talk to him...and hope he will get past it....

Sorry all of this has happened this time of year...not really easy on anyone...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

angelswife responded:
Sorry, Wolfsong ((((HUGS)))). Thinking of you today. XO

Wolfsong452 replied to angelswife's response:
thank you all,

Swab seems to be doing a bit better, thought I did find him around the grave today.

My father has been letting him into the garage several times a day, sometimes all night. He doesn't want the dog to get used to being an inside dog, as he's been an outside dog his whole life, he's 11 yrs old now. Would be hard to house train him now.

He is such a loving soul, I"ve never seen him aggressive, never seen him act goofy,

When he was nuetered, my father just walked the dog into the Vet. sat down, Swab did nothing wrong, nothing bad, didn't even look side ways at another dog. Thing is, either dog has had very little time outside the yard.

Thought with both my parents grandkids coming over, neighbor kids,

these dogs didn't want for attention.

Swab just wants to lean on you, he's done this is whole life.

Wolfsong452 replied to Dollbug's response:
THANK YOU ALL,

Wolfsong452 replied to JBirdFletcher's response:
THANK YOU,

Wolfsong452 replied to fibroinsd's response:
THANK YOU

krb005 responded:
Hi wolfsong!
just wondering how your dad, swab & you are holding up?

I have furbabies and reading this just made me cry. my babies had to check on me! the unconditional love is amazing.

Give your dad & swab (& yourself) a hug from me

Warm thoughts & soft hugs,
K.
Warm thoughts and soft hugs!

Wolfsong452 replied to krb005's response:
thank you for asking,

my Father and Swab seem to be doing ok,

Swab is eating, spending his time outside.

He stays outside most of the time, though my father does let him come into the garage - family room.

when I go over to help my father, I always check on Swab, me and him have a long talk, with no words, he's good at that.

Thank you again,

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
196 of 213 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.