Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
MEDITATION
1dazygal posted:
How many of you practice meditation and positive affirmations on a fairly reg basis?

What are your affirmations and what forms of meditation do you practice? (guided, self hypnosis ( have you ever left your body), different types of sounds) there are some new brave wave pattern ones.

Which have helped you or given you a headache or no improvement ?

Booch007 responded:
Good morning,I don't practice any formal anything....

I do use distarction and counting the positives in my life to help. I do take time in the day to B R E A T H E...a moment to take deep breaths stand or sit with perfect posture, to help the muscles.

I do stay small in my mind to not overstress over things that I have no control over. These are triggers of large proprtion for me.

Last ngiht on a "Gifted Man" they commented on Ti Chi being so helpful for FM.....my husband tuned into that immediately...and my reply " how many times did I ask you to come with me to do this??"

They were having a meditaiton room and positive "thankful seesion" I think he called it. Interesting how holistism is joining in on this show. I enjoyed it.
Some is hard to take as a nurse but it isn't to bad.

I think there is a place in everyones life for reflection and finding a place of peace, a healing garden as I called it years ago..............whether real or imaginary....

Thanks for the topic. Nancy B

xperky responded:
Years ago I learned how to meditate and empty my mind. It took lots of practice to be able to calm my mind that much, but so worth it. I visualize a white light and draw myself into it, and basically feel like floating in the light.

Now, when I feel anxious, I quickly try to go to that place in my mind. It helps turn around the anxiety.

I also try to do waking meditation, where one takes in the beauty and energy of all around them while active during the day. I have some work to do there though.

I suppose meditation would help ignore the pain of FM. I guess I should try that. Don't know why I didn't think of that before!

I don't think I've ever really left my body and been able to travel. Have you? I know some can actually do that, and visit other people.

Meditation or contemplative prayer are helpful tools for anyone, at any point in their life.
With Compassion,
Margaret

TomJust responded:
HI All!

I practice meditation...and I mean I'm still practicing-I haven't perfected it. It helps me to relax, and when I relax, my muscles are less tight. When my muscles are looser I have less pain. I also think it's a great diversion from pain. I have chatter that goes on in my head pretty much all the time. It's like the sub headlines on CNN or the Weather Channel. The more I can ignore that and pay attention to the here and now, the better off I am.

This is a great topic! Thanks for bringing it up!

Tom

1dazygal replied to xperky's response:
I've practiced since I was a teenager on and off. More on now. They have many apps for the IPH/IPAD. There are also cd's on Amazon.

I find guided meditation helps my mind wander less, which is normal and ok, you just rejoin the speaker with a few deep breaths.

Yes I have left my body on one occasion my cousin was certified and worked with me over a week 2x a day while he was with us on vacation . He told me he had done it and I laughed at him so hard. I was about 18. The first night he was gone I layed done and began to meditate. I slowly became aware I was looking at my body laying on the bed and I was almost at the roof. I got so afraid I pulled myself back and never allowed myself to go that deep again, and yet I wanted to know would I have flown in a trance state? I know it sounds weird!

I suggest you try some of the ones for healing, fatigue, sleep Pain, headaches. They even have ones for ENERGY!

You must devote yourself and do it every day for about a month, then your in a pattern and can do it less if you like. You will get results if nothing more then a brief escape from your body. I confess I often feel so relaxed I take a little nap.

I also try and take 5-6 very slow deep breathes each hour, dropping my shoulders down to relax.

It's mental work that helps the mind.

Amazon has headphones in headbands for women and men. They keep your ears from hurting.

Good luck! Many apps for this or relaxing nature sounds are free if you have an IPH or IPAD.

WISHING YOU RELIEF NO MATTER HOW BRIEF IT MIGHT BE!

Share a smile, we need them

xperky replied to 1dazygal's response:
I'll have to look for apps! I have a smart phone with droid, and have found a couple free sound machines I like to relax with. I bet I could find some meditation apps. What a great idea..thank you for that.

Smiles back at ya
With Compassion,
Margaret

Thanks. Another migraine today so a smile is wonderful!!

Such a simple thing to share that makes both parties feel good and better yet seen. I confess I'm looking weak and tired. I'll take any smile headed my way!! So here ya go.

Smile everyone ! .

Xperky, Next time your feeling anxious stop what your doing and take a slow deep breathe, hold for a count of 3 and drop your shoulders down. Take 4 more slow deep breathes ( in through nose out through your mouth) and count to 5 for each inhale.

I think you'll find - I hope- that this will reduce how anxious you feel faster and clear a little bit of brain fog. With practice you can do it while grocery shopping which stresses me out.

Good luck!

Xperky I was looking at a new IPH meditation and they said you could google and pull up meditations for your type of phone. Good luck

Smile

JBirdFletcher responded:
Hey guys.

I use meditation as well. Years ago I purchased a CD called Meditation Made Easy. It had something like 9 diffrent meditations on it along with one soundtrack.

Today I use one that focouses on relaxing every muscle in the body. Starting at your feet tensing the muscles and relaxing them one by one.

That is my bedtime meditation. I also use it when my muscle tension gets bad. Or I am fighting a headache.

I have left my body many times. Being grounded helps me to find my way back. Friends are always amazed when I show them.

Simple breathing excersies come in handy when dealing with stressfull situations. I also use breathing during tremors and after them to help.
I may have dyslexia and can't spell, I may have Brain Fog and not remember who you are, I may have tremors that scare you, I may drop everything I pick up but, By ALL I do it with everything I am!!!

xperky replied to 1dazygal's response:
Thanks dazygal. Grocery shopping can get difficult when I get tired and can't make decisions any more. I try to have a detailed list of what I need so I don't get confused.

The worst is when I leave it open to decide what to get for tonight's dinner according to what looks fresh and on sale. Then I have to make impromptu decisions, and uh oh, brain fog sets in!

I'll try your breathing technique, for sure.
With Compassion,
Margaret

XPERKY, love your user name, very witty!

Try the breathing. I always - cheat- I pick up a box and act like I'm reading the back of it. Hey whatever we can do to look normal. I have 6 herniated disc so often I lean on the handle bar to stretch back a little bit and breathe.

If I don't have a list Im hosed. I don't know why but all the movement etc in the store well I can't get through sometimes even with a list!

Crazy I know. Think I'll ask that question. Maybe I'm not alone.

Take care here's a smile

1dazygal replied to JBirdFletcher's response:
JBIRD, you've been practicing a while. To leave the body not only takes very deep concentration but be brave and unafraid to see where your going !!

Many may think its hog wash but it does happen. We use so little of our brain power. I've been back to doing 2-3 meditations a day. It's been awhile and I'm doing several different ones. One for relaxation , sleep and astro travel. For the first time I let myself go really deep, took a deep breath as I left my body (from fear of the unknown and as suggested) and perhaps I was asleep or very deep in relaxation but I flew above the houses and trees. Sun on my body and wind thru my hair. I took deep breathes when I was ready to come back. I awoke myself and starting smiling that I achieved it and then cried it was so beautiful and there was no feeling of fatigue or pain just pure happiness.

I hope my new friends will at least try the energy, sleep and relaxation ones. On IPH people give their input so it helps to try one.

Yours sounds very good in the relaxation method, so I think I'll search for it. Do you have the author by chance?

Keep enjoying your one of the elite. Smile

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.