Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
For those on Pain Meds
ScooterPooterPuddinPie posted:
I know that some of you are able/willing to deal with this condition without taking pain medications (and I applaud your tenacity!!!), but my question to those who go down the other path is this: How many of you take the meds before you need them, knowing that you're going to do something that is going to make you hurt, or do you wait until you're at the point where nothing else is going to help before you take them?
I'm wresting with this right now, wondering " am I addicted?" when I take them preemptively, or pondering "wow, I'm dumb and I should have taken them an hour ago." Any thoughts?
Best,
Cindy
I smile because I have no idea what's going on!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

MaryinMt responded:
If I am going on a trip I may take a couple Tramadol before I leave as a preemptive. But usually I do wait til nothing else helps especially if its for a bad headache. So I gues in answer I do both.
Signing off with tender hugs , caring thoughts and well wishes.

sparkyar responded:
I ALWAYS take something before I feel that I need them. I work full time, so I take them before I do anything that I know could cause me pain. I still at times have break though pain, and I have to take more. I have found if I wait until the pain is already there, it takes much longer to work...

CelineOC replied to sparkyar's response:
Hi Cindy, I take Tramadol at the same time each day and also repeat the dose as soon as I feel the first return of the aches. at least this way I avoid the debts of despair of waiting for the pains to ease. This method of treatment was advised by the Doctor on another Support Group. Maybe best to check with your own Doc. first????

xperky responded:
Hi Cindy. You ask a good question. I can tell you my experience so far, and you can take it or leave it...lol.

When I first came down with Fibro, I found it too painful to keep bowling my two leagues. I tried lots of ibuprofen, but still couldn't bowl. At that time my only diagnosis was possible MS and my neurologist prescribed Tramadol. I found I could bowl 3 league games a week if I took 2 Tramadol before, and a muscle relaxer after.

Otherwise, I tried not to take Tramadol unless I couldn't stand the pain, but I had a lot of pain days and despair. I found if I take 1 Tramadol before any activity, it helps me actually enjoy my activities.

I also take one Tramadol during the evening to reduce the pain from the stiffness that sets in every evening. I avoid taking it at bedtime as I take a muscle relaxer then. If I wake up from pain, I take a Tramadol though.

So, to summarize, I've learned to take my pain medicine before activities and before predicted painful times, as well as to treat breakthrough pain. This is what I've been doing for about a year now, and I seem to function better than before, and maybe about 40-50% of my pre-Fibro self.

Good luck with your experiment. We are each unique.
With Compassion,
Margaret

1wareaglefan responded:
That is a great question! And one that I ponder over at times, too. My doctor has mine prescribed as take one pill every 4-6 hours as needed for pain.

So I take one first thing in the morning, b/c I feel so awful then. I'll then take one at lunch time, which is 4 hours later, followed by another one 4-6 hours later. I've found if I go longer than 4 hours, the pain starts getting worse, and it's harder to control at that point.

I usually don't take anymore after that, unless I've had a lot more activity going on, and I really feel awful. Then I take my muscle relaxer at bedtime.

This routine works pretty well for me. If I wait until I'm in really bad pain, I find that the med doesn't work as well, b/c it's having to "chase the pain."

Now I don't refer to that as "being addicted." Look up the difference between addiction and dependance. We are dependant on the med for physical reasons....it controls our pain. Being addicted means you're taking it for emotional reasons. Follow your doctor's instructions with it, and you should be fine.

Take care...Elizabeth

ScooterPooterPuddinPie replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Hi guys!
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. I like the understanding of the difference between dependence and addiction, Elizabeth, I'll keep that in my toolbox. I also like the concept of "chasing the pain", as that is what I feel I am doing most of the time.
I'll really think about your responses and let you know what I come up with. Seeing a new doc on Wednesday, a neuro, so we'll see what she says. I'm really nervous about this appt, as no one has really helped me so far, and i don't want to go to phx for help. Too far to drive just sets me off more and I don't feel like I can get back sometimes.
Anyway, thanks all, and I'll post more if I come up with anything else.

1wareaglefan replied to ScooterPooterPuddinPie's response:
Ok...sounds good! I'm glad we could help you.

Hugs, ELizabeth

Wolfsong452 responded:
some great advice here, thinking I'm going to try some of it,

thanks all!

Kimmons responded:
Ten years ago, I started out with the lowest possible prescription pain med and have gone through all of the other potential meds that sometimes control pain. I started on oxycontin 20 2x daily 6 years ago. Gradually, that also stopped working. Since then, my meds have increased step by step and I am now on oxycontin 100 mg twice daily, percocet 10 3 x daily for breakthrough pain, and soma (a muscle relaxant) 3 x daily. I have learned my lesson by waiting until the severe pain hit. Taking my meds at that time is just too late-and doesn't help alot. You have to "stay ahead of the pain" and take it on a regular basis-according to my Dr.. Check it out with your Doc though...but that's what mine recommended! Good luck~
Kimmons

ScooterPooterPuddinPie replied to Kimmons's response:
Thanks Kimmons!

JRFrogger responded:
I am new to this but like many I have read I also do both. If I am sore when I wake up and of course a few hours into the morning I figured I am going to get worse instead of better and thats when I give into the med.'s. I guess I go straight for the powerful stuff cause I dont feel like waiting around a few hours before I know that the over the counter might work or might not. A day without some pain somewhere is mostly in the past I am afraid. I get very frustrated cause I was never much of a pill popper as you might call it. Just crazy, I hope some day to wake feeling good if it is just for one day ;-(

annette030 responded:
If you wait until the pain is as bad as it can get and then take your pain meds, you will probably take more than if you take them early on, and they probably won't work as well anyway.

I take a long acting pain med, but also have breakthrough meds, and I sometimes take them ahead of time if I know I will do something beyond the usual and that it usually causes increased pain. I do not take them closer together than my doctor has agreed though, not ever.

The addiction problem usually happens when you are taking the pain meds to get high, rather than to treat pain. I have never gotten high from my pain meds, even after 15 years. I don't worry about it anymore, but I am always aware of it.

As you go down this path, you will figure out the best way for you to use meds, and other treatments.

Take care, Annette

CrazyTaurensWife responded:
I'm another one who does both. There are several people in my family who have had problems with addictions, so the fear that something like that would happen to me is always in the back of my mind. I try to keep myself on a 'schedule' as far as my tylenol 3s go. Unless I'm to the point where I can't stop shaking, I only take the 3s once or twice a day (usually after work and sometimes again in the late evening) on Thurs - Sat. I have to be in pretty bad shape before I take them earlier in the week.

I know it's better to take them before the pain gets bad, but sometimes it's hard to convince myself that it's really ok to take them before I'm to the point where I can't stop shaking.

cjh1989 responded:

been there I don't think it's addiction I think you'r just trying to keep the pain away with out getting addicted
example when i feel pain comming on and take my pain medication I usually do fine, but if i wait it out hoping I can get by with out it, alot of times I end up hurting and by then when I do take the medicine it doesn't help as much

so I say get the pain before the pain gets you but just be-careful of course.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
456 of 531 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.