Skip to content
Tramadol
tmari posted:
Anyone else taking Tramadol having issues with excessive itching ?

shs1969 responded:
Hi. I have been on Tramadol for several yrs. I live in MN, where it goes from humid in the summer to dry in the winter. Yes, I seem to have more itching than previously. I tried lots of brand name lotions and cremes with little improvement. The "itching" areas are usually on my upper back and arms. I finally went to see a dermatologist who prescribed fluocinonide ointment. It is a steroid product, so you can't use it excessively because it can cause skin thinning, I think. But, it does help sometimes when I can't sleep between the itching and pain. I also do more "partial" baths, trying not to irritate the old skin. Take care. shs 1969

sparkyar responded:
I took Tramadol for ten years, then all of a sudden I started the itching. After talking to my rheumatologist and telling him what was going on, he told me that I was becoming allergic to it. He prescribed Nucynta which is a narcotic, but oh boy did that switch make a difference!!! I don't itch and the pain is SO much better.

annette030 responded:
Itching is a fairly common side effect, 5-12% of the folks who use tramadol have itching as a side effect according to my drug handbook. How severe it was would affect my decision to continue using it.

If you also have hives, I would consider it an allergic reaction, stop taking it, and go to my doctor immediately. But without hives, a tightening of my throat, or other allergic symptoms, I would not assume it is an allergy.

I had transitory itching as a side effect of hydrocodone/APAP many years ago, it came and went away without any treatment at all.

Take care, Annette

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
197 of 214 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.