Skip to content
What do you when you are working and in a flare?
schrode posted:
I started working as a seasonal part-time cashier to help my family, moneywise. For the first 3 weeks I was doing okay, just a some pain at the end of the day. Now I am in a fibro flare! It hurts just to stand up, let alone move. I get home from work and take a hydrocodone but it is not helping. I usually only take hydrocodone 3 or 4 times a month. I am resting when I can but we really need the extra money.

What do you when you are working and in a flare?

Deb

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
That's a really good question, Deb, and I hope others respond. I'm responding to bump this up to help with that.

As you say, you need the money so the only thing I do in similar circumstances is to do a LOT of self care when I'm not working and really focus on what's important and what's not. I don't know your living situation... if you have a partner, kids, live alone, etc. If alone, let the housework slide and look after basic tidying up after yourself when it comes to dishes and not a lot more. Use hot showers and rest to ease the pain, etc. If you have others in your home, including kids, start delegating.

While at work, focus on the tasks rather than on the pain itself and let it pull you forward through the days.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

1wareaglefan responded:
Hi, Deb....I'm sorry you're in a flare right now. How did your doctor prescribe the hydrocodone? My doctor has on there to take 1 every 4-6 hours for pain. I take 3 a day. If you're only taking it on rare occasions, it has to "chase the pain". That means it works hard to catch up to your pain level, which is pretty hard to do.

Talk to your doctor about taking it on a regular basis, at least when you're in a flare. I take one first thing in the morning and start to feel better within an hour. Then I'll take one 4 hours later, and I feel pretty good, pain-wise. I'll take one more in the evening. That way, my pain is under better control.

Heat also helps. I use a heated throw that I can wrap around my shoulders and back, and it really helps.

Best of luck to you! Elizabeth

booch007 responded:
I repeat my med regime early, keep warm with theracare patches and stretch the muscles gently before work...look for rest periods frequently and FOR YOU...Try and keep your elbows in toward your body when you are working.

Arms stay home is Dr P's mantra and it is priceless. It takes the stress and strain off the whole neck upper back and fatigued arms. You have a repetative job, be wise to look for inventive ways to change muscle groups to do what you do.

Put the patches on and enjoy the muscle relax with the heat.
I have a tes machine too....put that on (you can get on the internet...) I place that where the patients can't see along my neck under my hair and give myself a treatment to stim myself from pain.

Temporary, but it gets me through the day when I am in trouble. A massage after work has also helped move the blood out of the muscles and help bring in fresh with deep breathing........last tiem I had to do that I thought I would throw up from the pain, but I knew it would help the tense painful muscles......IT DID. It was worth the cringing when she touched me.

Well, this is a quick toolbox run.........good luck, maybe you feel better already.....Nancy B

Wolfsong452 responded:
what I do when I'm in a flare,

just grin and bear it.

Doctor has given me Hydrocodone but has limited me to 2 pills a day, for SEVERE pain.

I'm not allowed to take more than 8 in one week.

eek!

I am also on a muscle relaxer, that I take one at bedtime, and am also allowed to take 1/2 of one, sometime in the midday, only if I'm having secure muscle spams;.

Anon_149959 responded:
I work full time plus, I take ibuprofen 800 (four tabs) before I start and stretch as much as I can. I also rest on my off time, especially when I have extra hours I use bath salts and soak in a HOT (as hot as I can stand it) rest is the biggest thing, the ibu is for the break through pain.. I hope this helps...

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.