Skip to content
Fibromyalgia logo/symbol
Lydia717 posted:
After seeing much discussion online about how many people do not agree that a butterfly should be part of Fibro's symbol, but a dragon instead... I decided to doodle my own version that I may get tattooed in the middle of my shoulderblades.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

foreversore responded:
I really like that! It is so pretty! And purple is my favorite color! I already have a butterfly tattoo (non fibro related) but this is something I would get tatted as well.

Wolfsong452 responded:
I really liked everything about the symbol of the previous post.

I agree, the heart wasn't a good idea, but everything else was great,

I don't know about the snake, isn't that something about longitvity?

I will so some research and get back to you.

Lydia717 replied to Wolfsong452's response:
Forgive my awkward doodle... I am NOT good at this. But I do have tattoo friends that are. I just wanted to see my general idea in front of me.

The other symbol.... the circle w/ the hearts, and then a butterfly in the center (all purple) just didn't do it for me. But the meaning was supposed to be.
1 - circle for never-ending cycle of battling FM
2 - heart to represent hope for a cure.
3. - upside down heart to show how it turns not only our lives, but our loved ones' upside down.
And I never got reasoning for the butterfly.

My dragon needs some feets, so he doesn't look so snakelike. He can still be the neverending circle of battle, but I think a dragon would better show the fire like pain that many of us deal with. I don't mind the hearts.... but even those could be "fiery" and it may look much better.

If anyone wonders where the butterfly went, I will just say the dragon ate it.

Here was the former conversation where I initially saw what the FM symbol is.
http://forums.webmd.com/3/fibromyalgia-exchange/forum/12333

Can't wait to see what you come up with. I just know that most days, I feel more dragon than butterfly. Haha!

Booch007 replied to Lydia717's response:
Lydia,
I too wanted a tattoo. A small lavender, little, plump, dragon (cartoonlike) on my shoulder (left shoulder...where the devil resides).

But alas..there was alot here against it. I am 57, I am a professional nurse, a Nana and multiple other againsts.....
(plus my husband I think would not be happy either.....

So imaginary it is. IT is there. I love yours. That heart symbol is familiar to me? I don't know if it is a quilt pattern from Pennsyvania? Hmmm

Well, good luck with this venture. Maybe a FM Tattoo can be created and not a symbol if the society has something already. Something the younger patients can relate to?

Have a good day...........Nancy B

angelswife responded:
Maybe a purple butterfly with horns and fangs?

Just kidding, of course---but it could represent how we all look so "normal" outside but on the inside we're being devoured by pain (some days, anyway). The pretty surface has teeth underneath that no one is able to see.

I do like the idea of a dragon, and I think the picture above looks great. Too bad Husband won't let me get a tattoo!

Dollbug responded:
Hello Lydia.....your dragon is a nice one....I think that the wrath of the dragon....should be a red ugly dragon....spitting fire from its mouth.....this is just my own opinion....I think we have discussed this in the past....or I remember it being discussed before....

As for tattoos....they are NOT for me...don't have any, don't want any....I have enough problems with skin as it is...I can no longer wear any jewelry or make up....and I love both....

Something about the FM which bothers my skin now...itchy feeling when I try to....I do not wish to have anything else to deal with....and I have read how hard it is to get rid of them...

I use to kid my sons about piercing....told them that IF they decided to get one....then we would also get another one...through their nose....so that I could put a ring in it and pull them around with it....(I was a mean mama)....

Anyway....I do like your dragon...but it is much too nice to represent FM...

Take care...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

foreversore replied to Dollbug's response:
Here Mimi I found this on Zazzle.com and tought you might like this.

http://www.zazzle.com/danger_fibromyalgia_flare_tshirt-235354119170855614

maggiethedoglover replied to foreversore's response:
Hi foreversore,

LOVE the t-shirt you found. I think I would order mine in lilac.

Thanks for the tip!

maggie

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

foreversore replied to maggiethedoglover's response:
I like this one too hope the rest of you do as well!

http://www.zazzle.com/dragon_imagine_if_everyday_you_had_to_fight_tshirt-235548611826781063

maggiethedoglover replied to maggiethedoglover's response:
I just went to that site and created my own shirt that says:

The wrath of the dragon has nothing on me.

Picture of dragon

I am a fibromyalgia survivor.

Basically, you can create your own design on whatever kind of t-shirt they sell. There was no lilac however for the ladies long sleeve so I am ordering pink.

maggie

foreversore replied to maggiethedoglover's response:
That sounds awesome! Can you post a link with a pic?

Better yet:

The Wrath of the Dragon cannot defeat Me

Picture of dragon

I am a Fibromyalgia Survivor.

Feel free to use these words or design your own on Zazzle.com

Bless all of my FMily!

maggie

I'll try. I'm not sure I know how.

ScooterPooterPuddinPie responded:
Lydia, the snakeish part of this reminds me of the classic symbol of the urboros, a symbol of the perpetual cycle of life.
Here is a link to the wiki of it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros

Just thought you'd like to know that it IS a real thing! I also like the two hearts, but it reminds me a lot of the symbol for the band "HIM"...just sayin'...
Looks good though! I like it!
I smile because I have no idea what's going on!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.