Another medication type question
maryfibro24yrs posted:
My DH hurt his shoulder at work and the WC Doc ordered a cream called Voltaren and you have to measure it on a little plastic ruler.
I tried some for my neck pain which is intolerable when we get the cold fronts. I also put some on my knees since I can't get the synvisc injections I'd hope to get. So just curious if anyone else has tried this and if so was it helpful or not? The only other NSAID I use is 800 mg Ibuprofen and I try to keep that to one a day at bed time! I don't get to see my Dr for 3 more months or I'd ask him myself!
Thanks

xperky responded:
My doctor prescribed Voltaren gel for my feet. He told me I could use it along with the Meloxicam NSAID I take daily. Each of us is unique though. I'm no doctor, only a patient, like you, so all I can say is what has worked for me.

One thing to keep in mind - too much Voltaren has been linked to liver problems. If your liver is off, then I wouldn't use it without getting checked often!

I think it is for sale over the counter in Canada, but I don't know the strength.

I have found Voltaren gel to help with the sharp type pain and swelling I get in my feet from arthritis. It doesn't seem to do much for the large muscle aches from FM though. I bet it helps your knees and neck quite a bit.

The next time you see your doctor, you will have to ask him for the prescription! I'm glad you found something to relieve some of your pain.
With Compassion,
Margaret

CelineOC replied to xperky's response:
I find it quite good too, It calms down the Fibro aches in general.
As i take a slow release brufen I go easy with the Voltaren gel.
Hope this helps. Try it and find out if it helps...

Booch007 responded:
Remember that a med absorbed through the skin is STILL absorbed to the body. So though the gastric mucosa is not offended by the irritation of it, side effects of all can be bothersome to your body.

I really would love you to PUT A CALL into your physician. It amazes me how people wait so long to ask a question of them. They are always reachable by phone. Leave a message and ask for a call back. Is it helping???

800mg of Ibuprofen is a good dose (I used to take 600mg (3x a day) and began with bleeding issues also increse in B/P with water retention) so I like the cream dosing if it helps but a change to other meds might be needed. PLEASE talk to him. He is your employee.....you pay him to help you. USE this......

All my best. I hope you make the call into the New Year and maybe he might even have a better idea.....or say, hey let me see you earlier as you are not feeling well. You never know?

Good luck, Nancy B

maryfibro24yrs replied to Booch007's response:
Hi ladies and thanks for your helpful input. I will call the Dr today and send a message via the nurse and hope to hear from him! Since I'm pretty familiar with most medicines etc I will always try less than the recommended dose at first. I did worry about the whole NSAID thing so I stopped trying that until I can talk to him! I simply cannot afford to see him as often as I would or should. Epspecially now as our co-pays went up as have our meds co-pays, so unless I've been dismembered or some equally tragic event occurs I must keep my visits to the 3 month maximum and now they're raising gas prices again?!
You're right about it helping the arthritis pain but not the muscular agony of FM. Now since we're in the middle of a deep freeze here in Central FL my outdoor walking will be limited to mid afternoons and much shortened. I hate it b/c I love my walking but the pain during and after can be unbearable. My apartment is tiny too so I've set up a walk regimin around indoors so I don't sit all day long, ie I sit for about 30 minutes then do several trips around the apartment maybe dust an area or tidy up something I don't usually get to on a regular basis. I have found ironing to be very helpful and warming, just have to go slow and maybe only do one or two items at a time! Then I will sit again and maybe work on some desk work or research to keep my mind going.
Yes the Ibuprofen has caused some issues which is why I wait until bedtime to take one. My B/P stays lower that way too.
So time for another wander round the apartment and wait until 9 am to call the Doc. Thanks again!

maryfibro24yrs replied to maryfibro24yrs's response:
Oh and PS
Last year my Dr gave me a script for Lidocaine Patches for my lumbar pain (that area has hurt me for 32 years from having had an epidural block while giving birth to my firstborn)
When winter set in here like it does I was not able to get up and walk any further than the bathroom and bed at night without horrendous pain. The patches worked really really well but the medication in the box for I THINK 10 pain patches was over 100 dollars. I used them very sparingly due to the cost and wouldn't be able to get them at all now! I think the Voltaren is expensive as well but since my DH's injury was work related his WC picked up that tab! Still I will call and ask and of course use the minimum to stretch out what we have to last as long as possible! If my DR agrees it's ok!

1dazygal replied to maryfibro24yrs's response:
Do you have prescription insurance? If so the FDA said you can now use 3 LIDODERM patches at once. I know it's cheating but my Dr wrote my script this way. Sometimes I can get by with just two so I put the 3rd patch in my Rainey day box.

The price of them is so high without ins. I hope you find an answer. Have you asked if your Dr has any samples? My Dr is great in this area.

Good luck to you. It shouldn't be so hard in our country to get treatment and meds.
SHARE A SMILE WE COULD ALL USE ONE, THAT
INCLUDES OUR LOVED ONES :-)

spookiesmom replied to 1dazygal's response:
Lidoderm patches can be cut into smaller patches. The glue isn't great, you may need to tape them. I went to the web site, there is a card you can print that knocks $30 off the script, whether ornot you have insurance. AND it's going off patent in Nov, will be generic= cheaper! WooooHooooooo

Wolfsong452 replied to CelineOC's response:
never have tried this, I'd have a problem with not having someone to apply it for me.

Boyfriend is elsewhere right now.

Wolfsong452 replied to 1dazygal's response:
I've asked, my pain management doctor about the patches, he said, they won't help for FM. I tried to talk him into it, due to my OA and my torn rotator cuff.

No go,

he said, I didn't want to go that route, and he wasn't sure if the insurance would pay for it.

Same thing with acupunture, something I really wanted to try,

nope, no go, unless it's out of pocket.

Deansmimi replied to Wolfsong452's response:
I have used salon pas tth1at you can buy at walgreens, Or most any drug store. Very inexpensive. Walgreens sometimes has . a sale 2/$1.00. Make sure you get the large patches. I used them for lower back problems in the past, and I love them. Worth a try!!

Good luch and God bless !
deansmimi

maryfibro24yrs replied to 1dazygal's response:
Hi sorry I'm in a bit of a tough spot right now so I'm not online much. Yes we do have insurance but a/o Jan 1st all co-pays have gone up as have Dr visits, costs of meds, etc. I am supposed to be getting some refills this weekend but not sure I'll be able to. DH's Onglyza went through the roof so now he's talking about stopping taking it! Dear God that is so scary he's diabetic and does not take care of himself. My meds are simply comfort measures to help me make it through the day and to sleep at night so they may well be a thing of the past!
I agree that it is a shame that medical costs are through the roof and that insurnace companies bottom lines are getting higher and the cost is passed onto the consumers.
I do try self talk at times by acknowleging how many people in so many countries have it so much worse. It helps a little.
Some drug companies will give you a year long discount which is how he afforded it last year. Now with gas prices going up AGAIN food prices etc will follow suit (kinda makes me mad that that can be done based on rumors and fears that may or may not happen). In the end we are the ones who suffer!
I've been having so much pain in my feet lately that my walks really are becoming slower and less each day and recovery sometimes doesn't occur until I've rested a few days! (now looking at what cars have good bumpers to hang onto) <--- just an attempt at humor, at least that still isn't costly and there are unlimited resource available for free to help me laugh! But thank you all for the helpful info!