Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
The use of a walker
SaintIvy posted:
I've been using a walker from time to time. I have Fibromyalgia all the time, but there are those times when it gets really bad.My Rhumetologist said that she never heard of someone with Fibromyalgis, she doesn't understand what I'm feeling and going through. It's one thing to learn about it in Medical School and it's another to actually be going through it yourself. She made me feel bad that I was using a walker, when indeed I need to at times especially if I need to walk quite a ways or if I get tired. My walker also has a bench and I found it in a thrift shop a ways back.I just knew that at some point I would need it and it was on sale. I knew because of my slow pace of walking and the pain.Also, I wil be starting water therapy at the Ymca.

Take the Poll

Do I need to feel wrong for using my walker?
  • NO
  • It's OK
vote
View Poll Results

maryfibro24yrs responded:
I would like to suggest that you don't give anyone permission to make you feel bad about anything you need to do to make it through each hour of each day.
I love that poster that talks about "walking a mile in my moccasins"! It's very freeing!

katmandulou responded:
I'm sorry your doc made you feel badly. It's more than OK to use a walker, esp when you'll be on your feet a long time.

Have you considered finding another rheumy? It's strange that she says she's "never heard of someone with Fibromyalgia". Question her credentials, it sounds like an orthopedist saying he never heard of someone with a broken bone. My rheumy is great, and you need someone who believes in you!
Lou

hillbillieswife responded:
Hi SaintIvy,
I also went to a rhumey who didn't understand, suppose to be a good doctor but i didn't care what he said. You need to do what you need to do for you. I can tell you that I bought a pair of Dansko shoes and I swear this has made such a difference. I tried them for 3 weeks and couldn't get over how much better they made me feel while on my feet, so much so that i got another pair. Now this is all i wear and my body when walking tends to last longer with less pain. We are all different but thought it was worth mentioning. Take care!

booch007 responded:
Good Morning,

I answered this 5 days ago and it was lost and I had no time to finish it again so.......

First change doctors. If they do not know...then there is no reason to stay with them. Go to a large facility and ask for a department that cares* for FM patients.

second KUDDOS for the use of the walker, do you have any idea how many people won't use a cane let alone progress to a walker. (the most stablizing thing we have!!) I am so proud of you that you saw this in yourself and it works.

This is a tool for your toolbox. There are times I can't walk and I am struggling to get back to the car, or have lost the gas in my tank and a seat* and walker would help. I don't own one....but it is great that you do.

Please don't let anyone make you feel bad about yourself. This goes back to wishing your doctor can wear our shoes for a day or two and see and feel the issues at hand! There would be changes.

Good luck, (((hugs)))) from me! Nancy B .

SaintIvy replied to booch007's response:
You are such a Sweet and Compassionate Soul !!! Thank You so much for your Guidance and Support Nancy !!!

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
367 of 394 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.