Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
ATTENTION DR.P
1dazygal posted:
In late 2008 my vit d level was checked while in the hospital and saw a new Dr. I was told my levels were as low as the elderly in nursing homes.

Since that time I have been on prescription vitD 50,000 iu's 1x a week. In all this time I've been unable to get my level even to a low normal.

I'm concerened about long term side effects.

Also when they want to draw blood on me they have to use a pediatric butterfly and the draw last week took 3 nurses 2tries each. Is there a connection ?

My health issues are posted under my user name.

It was suggested I ask you and I thank you in advance for your time and any thoughts you may have. Thank you
SHARE A SMILE WE COULD ALL USE ONE, THAT
INCLUDES OUR LOVED ONES

rudyandirmouse responded:
Hi 1dazygal, thought you might like to go to utube and check out a video by Dr. Holick.. look under Vit D and the video he did will show up.

Dr. Holick is the foremost expert on all things Vit D and after you see the video that was taken of him giving a lecture. It is about 45 minutes to an hour long but so interesting and well worth the time you spend listening/ watching it.

Let us know what you think.

Linda R.

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi 1dazygal,

I bet you've been told you have "no veins!" It's common in people who have various chronic medical conditions and take various meds to have very small and fragile veins that are hard to find when a blood draw is needed. The veins are there, of course. They just always seem to be slightly smaller than the needle gauge being used during the blood draw attempt! There may be a connection with vitamin C and blood vessel friability, but I've not seen any data connecting this to low vitamin D.

I'm also not aware of any long term side effects of taking D supplements as prescribed. There have been a few reports of accidental D toxicity from taking too much D over time but that is rare. I know where someone mistakenly took 50,000 IU D daily instead of weekly.

Vitamin D therapy is indicated because one is vitamin D deficient, so giving the body what it needs (D supplement) is helpful over time, not harmful, as long as the D level is monitored. Keep working with your doctor to try to achieve a good D level. Good luck!

Dr P

deansmimi responded:
My daughter and I have the same problems with our veins.( Butterfly and difficulty finding veins.) I'll always also had a problem with slippery veins. Even when they find the vein, it sometimes slips out. My daughter told me recently to get
a supplement that she has been using, starting a few days before she goes for her blood test, called VeinPro. It is Mfg.
from Pure encapsultations on the web.It works well for her.
I bought it and will use it before my next Bld test.

Good luck and God Bless!
deansmimi

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
188 of 205 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.