Skip to content
EXERCISE
1dazygal posted:
What form of exercise do you do and did you find it because it caused the least day after problems?
SHARE A SMILE WE COULD ALL USE ONE, THAT
INCLUDES OUR LOVED ONES

booch007 responded:
I am a fan of my 19.99 trampoline (the little one) I am 57y/o...I get up on that and turn on dance music and I jog/dance.

I move to the beat using the song as my limit. I do one song and get down and then 2 songs and get down, and build up. The music is distracting. the movement is low impact for the knees as the floor goes with you and MAJOR: I keep my arms home* most of the time as Dr P has taught us.

Keeping your arms to your side (well elbows in) it stabilizes the neck. My physiatrist loved it as it moves fluids in the body core that don't normally get shifted around. IT really is my favorite.

If you are in a warm place, walking outside in the morning with the ions off the earth and the sun rise is very good for your spirit. You don't need much to make a difference in your cardio state. I see this in patients all the time.

WW asks that you park a little farther from the store to add to your movement. For us and this problem, it is hard to do. There are times I can't walk out of the store....let alone walk farther to get to the car.

So, that is my thing* when i do it.......Good luck, hope you get a lot of hits to see what others do. TiChi, yoga, dance you just need to ask yourself what do I LIKE to do. I love to dance!....and I dance like NO ONE is looking!!!! Nancy B

Anon_10089 responded:
Hello-

I do only low impact exercises. I go to a gym so I have access to ellipticals, bikes, etc. However, I just bought a spinning bike for my house. I find that it's pretty low impact, but of course, the seat can be pretty uncomfortable! I also really enjoy Pilates. I find that good teachers can explain ways to make moves less painful. Like the moves in Pilates that involve having your head held off the floor kills my neck. Then, one day, an instructor said to push my chin into my chest and most of the pain went away.

I've found that when starting an exercise routine, I've always had at least a little bit of a kickback in pain the next day or two. But it will go away, to some degree. I guess you need to know how much pain is okay. When your pain levels from exercising make future exercising impossible, then I guess you should ease off some.

I've always had problems with weight training, because, as Nancy mentioned, using my arms always results in migraines. But interestingly enough, I started indoor rock climbing last year and very rarely have a flare from it (sore, yes, but in a good way).

Marylyce responded:
I have been doing what I thought was light exercise. For instance today I rode a stationary bike for 11 minutes and yesterday for 10 minutes. I have more pain now than before doing any exercise. I thought it was suppose to help but it makes me hurt. I rode the bike very slow. I am so frustrated with all this. My lower buttocks and inner thighs have pain not to mention my back pain that started after using a muscle stregthening machine.

Anon_10089 replied to Marylyce's response:
I can understand why you're frustrated. It can take awhile for the benefits of exercise to outweigh the pain. Maybe you need to back off and do less minutes or not do consecutive days. Also, try icing or heating your legs after the workout.

I have found that exercise helps me have more energy and less fog. It helps with some pain but actually causes other pain. Overall, though, I feel better when I exercise. It definitely helps me be less depressed and it feels good using my problem-ridden body for something positive.

I don't know how long you've been working at it but I encourage you to keep doing it. I only say that because I feel like it has helped me a lot. But you don't want it to cause excrutiating pain. For me, it's all about balance. I tried to start running this past year and it caused me so many problems that I'm back to low impact exercising.

Gardendi replied to Anon_10089's response:
I was diagnosed 8 years ago. I am terrified of exercise. I did 2 triathlons a few year ago. I trained hard for 9 months with a trainer. The aftermath was brutal. The flair lasted 3 month and then the holidays set in. I sometimes do gentle yoga, but really need support going any further. The trampoline is a great idea. I majored in Dance in college. I am going to give it a try.

Caitedid replied to Gardendi's response:
I work a job where I'm walking, lifting, and bending 8 hours a day, so that's a big help. I also make a point of taking my dog for hour or so walks at least three days a week. For me this has been a HUGE decrease in physical exertion, but the exercise does make me feel better. I was sick one weekend, and felt terrible after two solid days on the couch. I also try to do a few stretches or squats while I'm cooking dinner. I have a lot of muscle spasms, the best thing to prevent them seems to be keeping the muscles moving.

georgia888 replied to Caitedid's response:
In addition to the Fibro, I have moderate-to-severe osteoarthritis in a few joints. Since my diagnosis, many doctors, therapists, physiatrists, etc. have recommended warm water therapy but up until last June, I just couldn't get myself to the gym. Prior to Fibro, I was a daily jogger/speed walker & loved the fact that I could get my exercise by just putting on my jogging shoes & head out the door. I finally gave in to the gym & I'm so very grateful for the 89 degree pool there. It's amazing how the buoyancy of the water allows the body to move in ways that aren't possible on land. It has been truly therapeutic for me & I highly recommend it to all.

JMC_z3 replied to georgia888's response:
Georgia888, are you able to exercise a little if your joints are swollen? sometimes when I've tried warm water therapy, my joints swell up and its then to painful to go back then I end up waiting until the swelling goes away. One time it took a month for my elbow joint swelling to go back down. I'm not sure what my limit is when I'm in the pool, later on is when I find out...after I get out of the pool I'm very exhausted but dont feel that way while I'm in the pool and just walking or moving. I'm newly diagnosed with osteoarthritis and its affecting my hands but mostly my knees and elbows are the worst.

georgia888 replied to JMC_z3's response:
Hi JMC,
So far, I haven't experienced swollen joints. My left hip is bone-on-bone & is very stiff & painful however, I am able to move it much easier in the water. I can well relate to feeling more pain & tiredness after the pool workout. Do you take any medication for the inflamation? I can't imagine the pool being harmful in any way but it's probably best to do so moderately. Perhaps the longer you stick with it the more endurance you will build.
Best of luck to you!
georgia

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
371 of 398 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.