Skip to content
Fibro Flare up
An_242942 posted:
Hello I am new at this but I am hoping to find support for my fibromyalgia. I am having a rare extreme flare up and can't seem to control the pain. Just looking for suggestions for some natural/home remedies that might help lessen the pain some.

katmandulou responded:
Hi An_242942, and welcome. I hope you'll find us helpful and occasionally we'll make you smile!

I was dx'ed in 2005, and have done pretty well. when I have a flare, I make sure I get plenty of sleep (a luxury for some people, I know) and lots of fluids. I'm a big tea drinker and something herbal helps. And if I'm craving something, even if it's bad for me, like chocolate, I give in. I figure I must be craving it for a reason, right?

Have the beast day you possibly can,
Lou

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi and welcome here! Keep talking and reading here. We all use various things to help the pain. (I use exercise and hot showers, changed my work stations, have a memory foam mattress, etc., for example. And many use calcium, magnesium and Vitamin D.)
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

_Hurricane responded:
chamomile double bag tea..moist heating pads, electric blankets, hot tub, eptson salt baths, give yourself a break without feeling guilty.

1dazygal responded:
Try not and stay in one position too long, you'll get stiff. Try and stretch a little every hour or so.

Most of us use something like tiger balm or stopain spay for a instant break. You just have to keep putting on.

I'm a fan of the heating patches. The ones with metal disc can stay warm up to 8-10 hrs and feel great. The neck ones stay in place and they have other designs.

It's hard rt now with a broken bone but long hot soaks in the tub or a shower feel cozy. Takes a lot of effort for me when in a flare.

Remember to eat and drink fluids. My balance is REALLY off with a bad flare. I keep canes around my house for this reason.

Most important if there's someone in your life be upfront and tell them you need rest and help. If they don't understand fibro, start showing them the info sites right here on this site. There are also tips suggestions etc.

Next time at your Drs get your Vit D, B12 and hormone level checked. All can contribute to higher pain levels.

Recover soon. I'm fighting one that's over 2months. You just don't know.

Sending a smile your way.
SHARE A SMILE WE COULD ALL USE ONE, THAT
INCLUDES OUR LOVED ONES

Bumblemom replied to 1dazygal's response:
Thank you so much for your suggestions!
It is so frustrating because I am not able to keep up with my housework as I once did. A typical household chore that took me less than a couple of hours to complete now may take a whole day.

I was diagnosed in 1994 and have had only a few significant flare ups. This one seems to be worse and longer than any other. It couldn't be that I am getting older

I seem to have these cycles of pain, sleepless nights, anxiety, depression. Who knows which triggers which!

I am so glad I finally gained enough courage to join! I appreciate all your replies and suggestions which will try.

My wish for all of us who suffer from the pain;
Always try to keep a positive attitude as difficult as it may be sometimes....
and what my doctor told me when I was diagnosed......"You control it, do not let it to control you"
(I know easier said than done but it helps to keep in mind)

Support is key and that is what we are all here for!!!

1dazygal replied to Bumblemom's response:
Glad you posted. I feel it's getting worse the older I get but of course I'm still fighting a new chronic DX each year.

I don't know how much more could go wrong!!

Please continue to post a question or just plain vent whenever you need to. We understand vents and we all try different combos of Meds exercise etc that you never know when you see something you didn't know might work.

Loads of information and kindness here!

Sending a soft touch on your shoulder and a smile

Glad your Dr told you to fight it. I've been fighting so very long. My fibro Dr continues me on 5 min daily of activity ( lots of issues posted on my name). My PDR told me to move into acceptance of my health. My ortho just told me something is off here after no visits since 2008. Me I'm lost in the blackness.
SHARE A SMILE WE COULD ALL USE ONE, THAT
INCLUDES OUR LOVED ONES

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.