Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
AM I THE ONLY ONE?
1dazygal posted:
I'm really struggling from lack of sleep. I've taken my Meds anywhere from 6-9pm trying to find the right time. It doesn't matter. I'm still awake anywhere from 3:30 a.m. To not even nodding off till 7-8a.m. (almost every nt ) I sleep a couple hrs and that's IT!

I can't think I'm so sleep deprived. I've given up driving for this reason and meds. I can't even see cleary until 4pm. This has been going on for years. I think it has an added up toll on the body and causes increased symptoms of my health issues.

I simply can't function. Yes I've tried everything ever thought of.

I'm at the point I feel I need help. Husband does travel some every week and I'm so off balance I worry about falling all the time.

Does or has anyone used or have used a service for say a family member? Can anyone tell me how to find resources for qualified agencies and what to look for?

I'm embarrassed to post my name but I'm going to in hopes you'll take pity on this burnt out girl.

I always say we have to fight and ask for what we need so I'm doing what I type. Thanks in advanced for any information. Sending smiles
SHARE A SMILE WE COULD ALL USE ONE, THAT
INCLUDES OUR LOVED ONES

blueeyestoo77 responded:
I to am looking for more resources for qualified individlues to get help. I feel your pain.. The sleep deprevation makes all these other health issues increase I agree. The only thing I have found that helps my sleep is a hot bath an hour before bed I sleep with a heating pad, and a body pillow wrapped around me and I roll up in my sheet like a swaddling baby.. Hope this brings you some comfort. 'Sending you gentle hugs."

1dazygal replied to blueeyestoo77's response:
Yes hot baths showers etc. have 6 herniated disc not helping me get cozied down.

It's my mind that's the problem. It just won't shut down all the way. Sleep disorder. I use meditation CDs and get 2-3 hrs. I just can't function. Hating this black mood. Thanks for the input.
INCLUDES OUR LOVED ONES

Kinkatia replied to 1dazygal's response:
I'm going to jump in here with my tendency to recommend herbal remedies, and encourage you to ask your doctor about taking valerian to help with the sleep. I'm not sure if it would interact with any medications, seeing as I don't take any, so seriously, be sure to ask. Or find a pharmacist, if your doctor doesn't know. An old roommate had left a package of herbal tea that was supposed to help people sleep, and I tried it when my insomnia got bad.

Lo and behold, it was the most effective thing I'd ever tried. It's got a lot of mild herbal sedatives in it (chamomile, lavender, skullcap, and valerian root, for example), tastes great, and not only helps my mind shut down but helps me stay asleep. I've done some research and valerian seems to be helpful to a lot of people.

So, if you think you'd like to try it, go ask your doctor about it. Other than that, well, you're already trying my other solution of meditation, so I'll just wish you good luck! I know what it's like to get barely any sleep over long periods of time. *gentle hugs* Hope you find a solution!

KatmanduLou responded:
Have to talked about this with your doc? You might need a sleep study to determine whether you have apnea.

I agree that herbal teas can help. When I'm tired that can help. Eating 'light' also helps - nothing comforts me more than a good bowl of oatmeal, which I'm not embarrassed to say that I'll have one for dinner if I need it.
Do you do anything before you nod off that helps you get comfortable? A favorite pillow, a favorite sleep position, etc? Just some thoughts...
Lou

fontanille responded:
Hi, I had the same problem and the dr. has me on trazadone.

works great for me.

fibroinsd responded:
Well..different meds work differently on people...had a son that had a terrible experience with trazadone...

Are you on any meds now?? What vitamins do you take in the morning.??

Have you had your vit d level checked??

Have you tried taking magnesium or melatonin at night?

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Anon_2912 responded:
Yep. I developed insomnia due to graves/hyper. 18yrs later still deal with it. I just got used to it. I am lucky if I can sleep a good 2hrs straight...seriously. I can sleep 4-5hrs straight if I take 20mg of ambien...However, I can only take ambien once every 3 weeks because it won't work the following nights. So basically I take 20mg once every 3 weeks.

I even went to a sleep doctor who basically told me your brain wires got messed up due to your untreated thyroid storms. He was at least honest & told me that I would be wasting my money on a sleep study because his staff would watch me twittle my thumbs in bed.

My brain will NOT shut off, I tried CBT as well, now for me if I could focus on one thing I would, but my brain is all over the place on such stupid stuff......

I can't nap or anything I just don't sleep. I even work 40hrs a week, but still can't just close my eyes...to sleep...well unless I take the ambien...I have a life time presciption for it.

I guess I just got used to it that it does not bother me as far as lack of sleep. I do alot of relaxing on the couch after work, however, sleep will not come...so I just let my body relax...

Your not alone..

1dazygal replied to KatmanduLou's response:
My roll just continues. I'm so blurry eyed but I answered everyone's questions, vented and had a break down only to hit the submit button and be told webmd was down and my reply went to the computer grimlens.

To tired to try again just know its been since the early 90's. I've had a sleep study. " your brain misfires-a lot of messages"

Anything you could think of I've tried. After several weeks my body gives out and I could sleep a day away. I wake up feeling sooo sick I've been known to promptly throw up. How many keep hospital buckets by their bed ?

I'm loosing it on this end.
INCLUDES OUR LOVED ONES

1wareaglefan replied to 1dazygal's response:
Oh, wow, I am so sorry! I guess you've tried xanax or valium? What about elavil?

1dazygal replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Yes that also
INCLUDES OUR LOVED ONES

Anon_175558 responded:
I just remembered something I've done that's helped immensely with sleeping. I had to cut out all caffeine from my system. Everything. This includes anything labelled as decaffeinated (because that's never 100%) and chocolate. It has made the biggest difference.

Most people I know who have trouble sleeping tend to rely on caffeine to get through the day with some amount of coherence. If that's the case with you, maybe take a few days and set them aside for getting the caffeine out of your system, and see if it helps?

Try to pay attention to your diet, maybe? The way you eat can affect your ability to sleep.

I don't really know what else I can offer you that might help, or any advice for finding someone who could help (I've battled my sleeping problems on my own), but I sincerely hope you get this sorted out soon.

1dazygal replied to Anon_175558's response:
Never was a coffee drinker. Once in a blue moon. I agree how much caffeine is in things.

I got Momo then 4yrs later got the CFS DX. That's when sleeping became a nightmare.

I really have tried it all. Makes you crazy
INCLUDES OUR LOVED ONES

1dazygal replied to 1dazygal's response:
Should read MONO then came CFS. Fibro was later.
INCLUDES OUR LOVED ONES

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.