Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Looking for good Fibromyalgia specialist in Southeast Michigan
    LivinInTheWoods posted:
    I just moved here from California and need to find either a chronic pain specialist or rheumatologist (sp?) who is good with fibro patients. I'm looking for recommendations because I want a doctor who will do more than just talk to me for 5 minutes, throw me a prescription, and shoo me out of the office - I really need someone who can help me understand what is going on with my body and how I can adjust my lifestyle to make the fibro less troublesome. Lately I have been having more pain and lots of trouble sleeping, and I really need a doctor who is willing to sit down and explain things like how to exercise properly and how often, whether I should be trying something like acupuncture or chiropractic care or massage, how to deal with my insomnia, and what to do when the recommendations for fibro contradict the recommendations for chronic migraine, which I also suffer from (and do it without seeming like he/she has something much more important to do that I am keeping him/her from.). If I sound a bit bitter, it is because I have had some bad experiences with neurologists (I have chronic migraine) since I got to Michigan and so I have resisted asking my GP for a referral to a specialist for fibro yet, as I am worried the same thing will happen again. I was in a very good chronic pain program back in California and I'm starting to wonder if anything like that exists in this state. I'd appreciate any recommendations anyone might have.
    dollbug responded:
    Hello....MiMi in NC...we are not allowed to give out doctors names....but you can go to
  • National Fibromyalgia Association
  • and I think you will be able to find a list of doctors somewhere close to you.

    I hope that you will be able to find a doctor whom you can trust....

    I would like to suggest that you be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level...if you have NOT already done so....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as is a simple blood test...but you MUST ASK the doctor to run it is NOT included in the normal bloodwork that the doctors do...

    I would also encourage you to read the info here under "tips" and "resources" that you will find to the right of this page....I am sure you will find some good "tools and tips" that perhaps you have not thought of trying...

    Learning how to cope with the wrath of the dragon is not easy....and it does take a trial and error process to find the right combination of things that will help you....we are all different and what helps one may or may not help you....but you will know when you have found what helps...

    I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well..

    Hang out here with us....I am sure you will feel better soon...

    Take care and good luck...


    My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..
    katmandulou responded:
    Hi LivinInTheWoods -
    take a look at the first bullet under "Helpful Resources" on the right side of the window. "Can't find a Specialist" has some good tips. I think MiMi wrote some of them.

    Good luck!
    1dazygal replied to katmandulou's response:
    Some city's issue 1-2x a year called the best of-city name. Drs and hospitals are listed in mine. Was still turned away for too many health issues soooooo......

    Helpful Tips

    Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    489 of 564 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.