Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Favorite Distractions
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
Personally, I've found that distracting myself with various hobbies and interests has been a GREAT tool to dealing with my own chronic pain.

So what are your favorite and fun distractions and hobbies that you still pursue?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell
FirstPrevious12NextLast

angelswife responded:
My biggest wintertime distraction is crocheting. My biggest summertime distraction is gardening, although crocheting still runs a close second. I also like to read, write, journal, paint murals and volunteer in the community. Oh yes, computer games, jigsaw puzzles, crossword puzzles, walking in the woods, singing---good grief! I didn't know I had so many distractions! Must be the ADD, lol.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to angelswife's response:
I am hopeless at things like knitting and crocheting but have wanted to just to keep my hands busy when resting.

Sounds like you have a LOT of ways to keep yourself distracted, Angelswife. I share some of yours.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

crazytaurenswife responded:
As long as the fibro-fog isn't too bad, baking is my very favorite distraction. It takes just enough concentration to keep ingredients and measurements straight without overwhelming myself. Reading, volunteering in my kids' school libraries, playing World of Warcraft, listening to music, and calling family are also helpful.

1dazygal responded:
I put on my tens unit and do puzzles or watch recorded Discovery channel shows on history, science, places and people.

When I see people struggle to stay alive in other countries my pain disappears 100% while I start searching the Internet for ways to help.

My best distraction is my teacup poodle and searching for new salad ideas for my vegan husband.
SHARE A SMILE WE COULD ALL USE ONE, THAT
INCLUDES OUR LOVED ONES

Fibrofog64 responded:
My new grandson. I got to stay home with him for his 2nd and 3rd weeks of life. Mom had to go back to school for her program. It was so hard for me to go back to teaching. Luckily they live in the same town and I can get my fix when I need to.
Cindy

Lauralizzie01 responded:
for me the ultimate distraction ismy dogs! they make me smile on the worst days, stretch while playing and can even talk me into a game of chase sometimes. plus the make an awesome lg warm compress!

mnjeepguy responded:
Mytwo boys and my Basset Hounds always make me smile. I try to stay distracted. I like to tinker with little projects when I can.

An_243120 responded:
I have three main distractions. 1) I will dance in my living room. I mean crank up the bad pop music on pandora and dance around like a moron. Its great fun, releases negative energy, promotes circulation, and all that goodness. If I'm hurting too bad to move that much I start really slow, just tapping my foot or walking around the house, but the music is key. 2) I play with my 3 year old. Often times I combine dance and play...we have a dance competition...good times And 3), and this I hope does not offend anyone. I have found the number one distraction technique that relieves pain and stops a flare up over 98% of the time is sex with a loving partner. Not a hook up or anything, but a caring person, your husband, boyfriend, etc, who knows your condition and can take care, but wow does that distract to neurons. Plus, your brain releases an immense amount of serotonin afterwards. Its a win win.

Teelady1 responded:
Three favorite distractions: 1) my cat (she loves to play) and 2) I love to crochet while watching a good movie or TV show. 3) In the good weather months here in IL, I love to be on the golf course as often as I can!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to crazytaurenswife's response:
It's been a long time since I did any real baking (that didn't come from a mix). I bet your kitchen smells great a lot of the time, CrazyTaurensWife.

Aha! I knew you played WoW!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to 1dazygal's response:
What kind of puzzles do you do, 1dazygal? I'm a puzzle lover too.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Fibrofog64's response:
Hi Cindy,

My grandkids live nearby too and I agree that it's wonderful having them so close.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Lauralizzie01's response:
I don't think it's possible NOT to smile when one has an engaging pet, Lauralizzie.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Basset hounds always make me smile too. I've never had one but who knows, maybe one day if I can get rid of my allergies.

What kind of little projects do you do?

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
368 of 395 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.