Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
A Valentine to Yourself
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
Being constantly in pain means you have to be sure to take care of yourself.

What kinds of things do you do for yourself to get through your days?

If someone gave you a few dollars and said 'go buy something nice/fun/frivolous for yourself', what would you get?

Do you surround yourself in your home with favorite things that make you smile? What's one of those that you see looking around the room you're now in?

When some self-pampering is in order, what do you do and when was the last time you did that for yourself?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell
FirstPrevious12NextLast

angelswife responded:
Hi Caprice,
Great topic! Here's my answer:

I get myself through the day by journaling regularly, taking walks and/or hiding at my favorite Nature Preserve, crocheting something beautiful, or putting on my headphones and singing. This is done more in the winter when I'm not working---in the summer it's more apt to be a hot shower, then curling up in bed with my journal or a good book.

If I was given money to buy something nice for myself, it would be a toss-up between yarn or some gourmet coffee. Of course, if I got enough money for both that wouldn't be an issue, lol!

It is not easy to surround myself with my favorite things here. For safety's sake, I had to put ourspecial things in storage to keep them from getting water damaged. It can be hard to live without them. But I have my crocheted creations to look at, and my cat always makes me smile.

Hmmm---"self-pampering"...can you translate that into English? Seriously, I can't remember the last time I did any. I take care of myself the best I can, but our budget doesn't allow for much of that. Still, if I'm in need of some, I will put my fleece pajamas on and settle on the couch with a cup of coffee. Someday when I'm wealthier I'll get a weekly massage!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to angelswife's response:
Fleece pajamas and some coffee sound like great self-pampering, Angelswife.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

booch007 responded:
I just bought 3 pair of new shoes to walk in...mine were really yelling at me "I'm done"....it means the world to my legs to be in good shoes.

I surround myself with pictures of the family and how it has grown.......and to spoil myself.....clothes (I love sparkle or deep tones) or jewelry....sparkle is there too.

Happiness is a long heating pad though...That's my V for me, Nancy B

KatmanduLou responded:
For me it would definitely be nice yarn and pattern for something decadent. THEN I'd need enough time to knit my obsession.

As for the day, I'd sleep late, have something decadent for lunch - I'm thinking a steaming bowl of lobster bisque from a local restaurant or some maple glazed drilled salmon with roasted walnuts from another - more knitting, an afternoon nap, and knitting into the wee hours. I'm more a night owl than an early bird.
*sigh*
Lou

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to booch007's response:
Hi Nancy,

I like sparklies too!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to KatmanduLou's response:
I hope you manage to get such a day in for yourself soon, Lou.

sparkyar responded:
My special joy and quiet time is in the tub, I will set and soak literally in the hottest water my tank can give just to ease the muscles in my body. I take a glass of wine and a good book.. that is my "ME" time. then when I get out I lay under a heating blanket for the heat to relax my muscles..

xperky responded:
I love how you all think!

1 on buying some beautiful yarn and creating something gorgeous with it.

One special purchase I made over the year was a set of battery operated candles at Costco. I just love to watch them flicker. I recently wrapped one in pink wire-edged ribbon, a gold bow, and then tucked in a miniature rose, all of which I had stored in my crafting drawer. It sits on my tub ledge in a glass base, to turn on whenever I take a bath! I even crocheted a wrap for one in the kitchen the other day. The light shows through the stitches beautifully. I'm looking at one more I have in the family room right now!

My "me" time is when I take a long bath. I try to work one in every week or two. Just me and my candle...lol. Was going to take a bath today, but didn't get to it. Maybe Friday..
With Compassion,
Margaret

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to sparkyar's response:
Sounds like you create a wonderfully soothing experience for yourself, Sparkyar.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to xperky's response:
I love reading how creative you all are, including you, Margaret!

CozyTime replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Well I use to paint, had a rental spot at a ceramics company and dabbled in glass art but it's almost too hot to take! Health issues and giving up driving stopped that for now.

When I need pampering for that hole in my soul for the younger me well I shop on line.

I'm the female Hugh Heffner of a wonderful collection of PJ's!! I also collect unusual caftans so my husband sees me in something besides those PJ's

When I need to feel good I book my husband and I joint massages and then into the hot tub. They have an outdoor pool so I'm waiting for spring/summer. I don't swim but the setting is lovely with a view of a lake not to far away. I sit and read- love it and I love to people watch. It's a great way to get to talk to people also because there more open in this environment. Can't wait

As for what I collect and keep around me, I have a collection of French handmade part porcelain dolls. They sit or lay and the largest is 12" across with a fantastic hat from porcelain . I also collect Krinkels that aren't to Christmasy just very eclectic . There so cheerful. Just got a pink pig wearing a tutu and hand painted on top of the solid pink. There in my day room were my treadmill says unfold me and get on

For a REALLY rough month I collect Heidi Daus Jewlery . I basically stopped because what's the point I rarely go out. I'm looking for a way to display them. There eclectic also. My last purchase was a butterfly necklace and a bracket to match. There covered in S. crystals. Great now I wanna look and see if her spring collection is out. My husband will thank you Caprice . Fun topic! Chgd my mood, thanks.

mnjeepguy responded:
My animals and my children make me smile, but I also have my house covered in original artwork by my grandmother. My wife and I have purchased art, recieved as gifts, and were lucky enough to recieve more after her passing. I always have her around me. She was one of the most amazing people I will ever know. She was for many years, the glue that kept us together.

If I had a few frivolous dollars I would get a massage. I used to go every three weeks for an hour. I could clear my mind and relax. I was very helpful to me. I will do it again when I can.

To get through the day? I realize how many good things are in my life. Even the little things like being here.

Wolfsong452 responded:
nice-fun-frivolous,

hmm, I've always wanted to go to Hot Springs Arkansas, for the water treatment.

thing is, hot tubs usually make me feel worse. Yet, I'm still wanting to give the hot springs a chance.

I might try and start up my house plant collection again, as love house plants, but gave up on them at my house, as it's to drafty, to much shade, I'd forgot about them, etc. but, I'm trying again, so wish me luck.

total bummer, this would happen even if I bought catus, or even shade loving plants.

I sold my fish aquarium that used to make me happy. It no longer was working, it was starting to feel like a chore. .

I have also always been a jewelry collector, mostly junk, but usually eclectic, this usuallly makes me happy, though right now, most of it I can't wear to work, and I don't go anywhere else to wear it.

So right now, I'm into buying WATCHES!

I have no idea why, just the $10-$12 ones you can buy at wallmart.

the really big oversized ones, or the sparkling girly ones. Even a pocket watch.

what's funny, I had several watches a few years ago and sold them all.

gosh darn it!

I'm now working on building up my collection.

I was real big on going to the goodwill.

That is, until the day I got down and took an inventory of what I'd bought the last couple of years.

oh, oh,

lets just say, I'd bought almost a whole new spring-summer-fall-winter collection.

hee hee.

got some really good deals!

I've had to put the brakes on my goodwilling,

haven't been able to wear all that I've bought. Yet, most are clothes that you can wear everyday.

So what I'm trying to do, is wear something, then put it in the back of the closet then make myself wear something different.

tabathathepurplebutterfly replied to Wolfsong452's response:
live in arkansas....and the hot springs are fabulous. i am only an hour and a half away myself, but they are expensive. they get so hot it is unreal...and it feels amazing. when i was in high school there we would lay on the "hot boxes" that kept the springs under ground. i realized then how much heat helped me to feel better

***new to this site, discovered it while i was working.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.