Skip to content
Remembering to Laugh
Kinkatia posted:
I've got a hilarious fibro-fog story that I'm sure you'll all get a kick out of. It reminded me that as awful as the fibro can be, it does make life more interesting in dozens of funny ways, and that sometimes you just need to have a good old-fashioned laugh at yourself.

Last night I was hanging out in the other dorm building, in the flat of a friend who is a fellow chronic illness sufferer. It was great. Judgement free, happy place, really. We had a cooking party and watched some stuff on his computer and generally spent the evening geeking out together wondering why we hadn't been hanging out before this.

Then it gets late and I have to leave.

And I can't find my phone.

It's in none of my six pockets. Can't be in my shoes because I'm wearing them. I didn't bring a purse. Not on, in, or under the couch. It's not in the cabinets in the kitchen, not in the fridge, not anywhere on the floor, not even in the bathroom.

Absolutely vanished.

Friend called my phone. It went straight to voicemail, which it shouldn't have done because the battery was nearly full and I'd left it on. My ringtone had been a topic of conversation earlier, so I knew it wasn't on silent.

Not gonna lie, there was a bit of panic because I am prone to setting down my phone and not remembering where, and I really didn't want my phone to be lost forever. My plans for today would have all been derailed horribly without the ability to get in touch with several people via text message.

But I took a deep breath, decided it wasn't worth losing a whole night's sleep to, called my mother so she wouldn't think I'd died if she tried calling and I didn't answer, and went to my room. Started seeing if Verizon stores in the area were open Sunday mornings so I could use the upgrade I'm due for to get one of the freebie phones as a replacement. I've been having anxiety attacks this week, and if I could keep one more thing of the list of stuff to fret over, it was worth it.

Five minutes after I get back to my room, I get an email from my friend.

He found my phone!

In his bathroom. On the side of his sink. Under his sponge.

A damp sponge which made my phone shut off in self-defense after the LAST water-soaking in got.

I managed to hide my phone from myself under a sponge.

I think this is a new record for most bizarre place I've left something important. Now that the panic has worn off, I can't stop laughing every time I think of it. I am well impressed with myself.

If anyone else has any funny tales they'd like to share, go for it. After all, we all need reasons to laugh.

angelswife responded:
Hi Kinkatia---that was priceless! Thank you for the laugh. I am on the third day of a bad flare and needed something to smile about. You have done that, and I appreciate it.

My funny story involves my debit card...I don't use it often, so its easy to forget where I've put it. I needed it one day and couldn't find it (I mean really couldn't find it). It wasn't in any of the "safe places" I would normally put it in. I ripped the house apart, ripped the van apart, dumped out my purse and my lunch cooler (I'd left the card there once, in a sandwich bag) but no dice. I looked for the card for two months.

Finally I gave up and reported it missing. I went through the hassles of getting a new card and changing all my information. I had the old card turned off in case it had been stolen. Then I waited several weeks for the new card to arrive.

The day the new card came in the mail, I found the old one, much to my chagrin...It was in the pocket of a pair of dress pants in the bottom of my closet. I had worn the pants to a party the previous Xmas, and had no memory of putting the card in my pocket. But there it was...Husband had a good laugh after he finished lecturing me about keeping better track of my things. I had to throw the card away because I could no longer use it. I felt pretty stupid, lol.

Now I try to keep my card in one place so I know where it is...Which reminds me, I haven't used it a while, so I'd better make sure it's actually there!

dollbug responded:
Hello Kinkatia...
Good thing is that your friend found it....

I think we, FMers, all have problems such as this..

It is funny to go out and "watch people"....social media has about taken over the world I guess...

I had to laugh when my daughter said that they were all in the basement...had a big TV to watch...but everyone was on their phones....as they can now "watch" tv on them....interesting....I guess this is the new generation for you....and I just heard this week...how addicting social media can be...no one wants to "miss anything"...

It is everywhere....and all ages...even the older generation of people think that they need a phone...

I like having one when I am on the road...as it provides me with a sense of security....other than that...I do not care for them...(I do not have one now)...to me...they are a waste...but I guess a lot of things are...until and unless you actually "need them"...

Have a good day..

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

booch007 responded:
I think I have a side of paranoia to me. I always think someone has done whatever it is.

If I lose things in the house, I say the houskeeper moved them, or I have had guests over and it walked off. Like now from superbowl I am down by 2 forks to my NEW set! I am upset....who would have thrown them away?? Taken them?? All the dishes are done, no where to be found.

Watch in a week all 12 will be in the drawer!

If we don't laugh we will cry over the things that happen to us!

Thanks for your laugh.....good that the other friend didn't use your phone to clean his sink or anywhere else !!! :0. OMG!

Nancy B.

Wolfsong452 responded:
yes we all need something to laugh at,

if I wrote about the many times I"ve misplaced something, or did something that was really hare brained,

I'd have a 1000 page book.

Well my funny is much like yours,

I couldn't find my cell phone, I'd been walking a very lively bird dog, so I thought I'd lost it in the grasses etc.

There were some guys walking by, so I had them call the cell phone,,

we still couldn't find it.

darn it, I'm like you, gotta go and get me another one.

As I was getting into the car, I found the cell phone,

you wanna know where I found it,

drum roll here,

I found it down the front of my shirt, under and inside the bra.

for some strange reason, duh

I wasn't able to hear it ring, or vibrate.

yep. kind of chesty I am,

double damn! I walked away so embassed.,

I saw the guys on a different day after that, they asked me if I'd found my cell phone,

I told them yes,

they said where?

I didn't tell the the truth,

I just said I'd found it in the car.

welll, actually I did,

found it in the car while I was looking down the front of my blouse.

Lauralizzie01 replied to Wolfsong452's response:
lol ive so done this... isnt it interesting that our boobies are so sensitive but we cant feel a phone vibrating on them? this is where i always keep my phone at work! safest place ever!

Wolfsong452 replied to Lauralizzie01's response:
might be the safest place to store things,

yet again,

I sure wished I wouldn't lose things in them!

Old1now replied to booch007's response:
Has anyone found the lid to my pan? My favorite quart size pan that I use nearly every day? How is it possible to lose something that goes from stove to sink? I've checked the refrigerator, the freezer, the garage, the medicine cabinet, my underware drawer... Who knows? Lots of times I also think someone took something. But the lid to a pan? I think not.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.