Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anyone feel extremely cold after eating a meal?
xperky posted:
This winter, a new symptom is making itself known to me. After I eat a meal, I get so cold all over it's awful. I'm already dressed in layers, but after a meal I have to put on multiple blankets and just huddle for about an hour.

I know it is normal to cool off, since our blood goes to work on digesting the meal, but this is new and very uncomfortable. It even happens after small meals.

Just wondering if this is yet another FM symptom. I will bring it up to my PCP at my appointment on Wednesday and see what she thinks.
With Compassion,
Margaret

booch007 responded:
Well you have the physiology right. How about, try drinking something hot x2 afterwards......

Maybe you are going to develop Raynauds and this is the beginning signs, dramatic temp change...I can tell you when an attack of raynauds gets me...IT IS TO THE BONE that I am cold. Ahhhh short of the hot shower...I am in an amazing place. It isn't always just the hands that show symptoms, it is a full body arterial change that happens.

I hope not, I hope it is just a real good digestive flow happening here.............but I have staved off a chill or two with tea after lunch so I am not bundled so bad....Good luck, just another fun part to these roads we walk.........Hugs, Nancy B

xperky replied to booch007's response:
Hi Nancy. Thanks for the input. I didn't know you had Raynauds.

I have had a couple times when my hands turned some weird shade of purple. They kind of looked dirty purple. It was when I had gone from the heat into the cold A/C. My feet are often dark red and this winter the toes feel like little ice cubes. People often comment on how cold my hands are when we shake or high five.

And I do get it when you say you get cold to the bone. It's as if my insides have turned to ice.

I will try the hot tea right after dinner. I enjoy a cup of herbal tea anyway. I guess I'll boil some water while doing the dishes and enjoy some warmth when I sit down after dinner. mmm.

I will add this to my list of symptoms...long, long list...LOL.

Hugs back to you, Nancy.
With Compassion,
Margaret

jz51047 responded:
Recently I starting experiencing the same symptoms and my research led me to the possibility of low body oxygen being the cause. Any comments from anyone? I plan to ask my doctor and get the test they perform by applying a meter that clips to your finger and gives your oxygen level. I also read that breathing through the nose helps reduce the cold versus breathing with the mouth open.

xperky replied to jz51047's response:
Interesting. Let us know about the blood oxygen. I hope yours is fine.
With Compassion,
Margaret

booch007 replied to jz51047's response:
Good morning, JZ if it is Raynauds the O2 Saturation is not accurate as it is looking at blood flow to the finger and that will be compromised in Raynauds.

The doctor listening to you symptoms helps to make this diagnosis.

Good luck...Nancy B

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.