Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Doctor says my neck pain is not FMS?
Pandorica posted:
Does anyone eles have this pain/issue...... I can't stand for more then 20 minuets because my neck muscles start to swell around my spine and cause Extreme pain that will get worse and worse so I have to lay on the floor fast with an ice pack and take 3-4 advil plus my regular Meds Soma and Oxycodone. Also my entire spine hurst so Terrible much all the time. The doctor says no one with FMS should need a wheel chair. So if it's not from FMS what's torching me and destroying my life? Lauren

CozyTime responded:
First if you like your Dr ok but you need a 2nd opinion I would try an orthopedic . In my neck I have what's called cervical faucet syndrome. From whiplash age 12 , no seatbelts and no treatment. Rear ended best guess was about 45 mph.my neck made a snapping noise. The right side is the most painful. Like a 24/7 migraine without a tens unit hooked up or LIDODERM patches- they numb like novicaine .

20 mins standing woul be a good day. I have 6 herniated disk the ones in center of back fused together on their own. Seems that's not normal. The other two are base of spine and neck. Told I now have DDD in spine. About a month ago broke a bone in my rt knee. After X-rays they said you have osteo arthritis in both knees. Didn't you notice their swollen the size of your lower thigh?

Ugh no everybody keeps slamming me with steroids and all I see is a 60 lb weight gain! I let them inject needles to reduce swelling and pain. The bone spurs seem to be hitting nerves since then and my legs just wanna give way when they feel like it. I use a cane going out side or around house. It's very painful.

My neck now cracks if Im sitting and turn to look at someone to the side, the popping sound is so loud my husband has heard it.

Very often I hear someone yelling only to find out it's me in pain.

It you went to a hospital type urgent care they could probaly take all the X-rays give you an idea and recommend someone for 2nd opinion I Belive I'll be using some wheeled device in 2yrs at the most. They all ready said unsure when I would have to get knee replacement but I would no question. Scares me.

If they start talking about surgery on neck or back get a 3rd opinion and read the back group here. Not pretty.

Take care let us know what you find out. Oh yes wear the most supportive shoes you can. I've bought Alegria which you can put your own orthotic inside. Cute shoes. Don't look like those types of shoes. Some Clark's and Privo- I think I'm really tired- do tennis shoes. I'm really pulling for you. Hope I've helped and your not alone

dollbug responded:
Hello Pandorica....and welcome...MiMi in NC...I wanted to reply back to you about your neck pain...I did not have neck pain exactly...but I did have cervical surgery as I had several discs messed up....and I was in extreme pain...I had shoulder pain/arm pain and at the end I was not even able to use my right hand....I had this pain for around 9 months or so...

Have you had a MRI on your neck? I was watching the news last night...and it was saying that doctors for whatever reason do not attend to women's pain....WHAT? They also said that pain is pain and it is NOT normal for anyone to have pain...PAIN is a way to tell us that something is WRONG with us...

So...if I were you I would certainly get another opinion...and I would also be really careful taking so much over the counter medicines...taking too much of anything is not a good thing for our bodies...

I hope that you will find something that will lesses your pain....as I know exactly how you feel....each of your health issues will have to be addressed though...and this might take time...as so of us FMers have multiple health issues and this makes it hard for the doctors to know how to deal with us...

Hang in there and keep in touch...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Littlefox77 responded:
First, I am so sorry that you are in such pain. I get neck and low back pain, sometimes the pain shots from my neck up the back of my skull. My doctor had me have an MRI.. I have what is called backward neck and have Disk Disease of my neck and spine. Hope that the dr. helps you.
Here is to low to noe pains days.
with love Michele

1Blueiz responded:
Sounds like legiment damage in your neck & maybe disc problems. I was in 2 bad car accidents & have legiment damage & get the heavy head, muscle spasms, headaches (feels like someone is heading you with a bat in the back of your skull) from the muscle holding up your neck instead of your legiments. Your legiments are like rubber bands. Once damage they have no stretch or bounce back.

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.