Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What Is YOUR Biggest Fibromyalgia Pet Peeve?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
I'm recycling an old discussion to start it all anew:

Having Fibromyalgia affects us in many ways, some serious, some silly.

What is your biggest pet peeve when it comes to having Fibromyalgia?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

marihue responded:
That this is an illness that you can't see.You look healthy but feel terrible.

My best friend and family saying to me "you can do this, you did this before" - example, I walked several blocks one day downtown, knew I would pay for it later, which I did, but the next time I said it's too far for me I got the "you can do this" quote...no understanding of what FM is like. I have tried to tell them but they are not listening. It's like they are tyring to cheer me on as if I just tried harder and pushed more (not be so lazy) I could do everything I could before...as if it is my fault and I am lacking due to not trying harder.

Gentle hugs to all...

dollbug responded:
Hello Caprice....MiMi in NC....I hate the fatigue and the memory problems....and there seems to be "nothing to help either one"....even though my doctor has said this...I continue to search...as I believe that MUST be something out there that will indeed help me...

A few years ago...I would have said that it was the fact that my family and friends do NOT understand....but now that I am used to them not understanding....it does NOT bother me as much...in the beginning...I would not/could not push myself to do whatever it was I could not do...now if I have something that I must do...then I just rest up a few days in advance..and just hope and pray that I can do whatever it is I need to do...this works for the most part...I still pay for it later...but I deal with it...what else is there left to do??

Now if I can only figure out a way to deal with the stress that I have no control over too...

So this topic will be interesting again....

Thanks for sharing...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

angelswife responded:
Hi Caprice,
My current biggest pet peeve is waking up feeling like my head and eyes are wrapped in a cement fog. No matter how much coffee I drink, the fog sticks to me like cobwebs. Wish I could put my head in a vacuum cleaner and suck it all away!

katmandulou responded:
1- I feel icky but "don't look sick".

2- Not being able to do something I used to be able to do.

3- The 35# I added because of the meds.

4- People who tell me it's a fake illness.
Lou

crazytaurenswife responded:
I've got two...

1) Having days when I feel absolutely helpless because something as simple as fixing breakfast is too much. I grew up in a very abusive environment...showing weakness wasn't safe, so I have a very hard time dealing with days like this.

2) The cognitive issues - being unable to understand what people are saying, to focus enough to formulate sentences, and not being able to make my mouth form words correctly. No matter what I've gone through, I've always had my mind...not being able to think or speak scares the heck out of me.

~air hugs~

~Jessi

redschu responded:
  • good afternoon to all: am new to the site - have been following for approx. the last week - thought i'd join in have had fibro for 24 yrs now - my biggest pet peeves are, but not limited to, - knowing that my children grew up with a mom who was extremely limited in what she could do and it was normal for her to spend periods of time in bed, now that is the nana my grandchildren have - i don,t know about anyone else, i don't have any dreams for myself, it is just a day to day life not thinking of the future - don't always use my handicap parking, but when i need to, since i look "normal" and am very good at wearing a "mask", i at times get checked over by people and once was verbally attaked for using it

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to redschu's response:
Hi Redschu and welcome here!

I'm glad you said hello and joined in.

And thanks to everyone here for sharing your pet peeves. I think many here share one or all of them and hope they'll join in too.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

lbeachgirl4 responded:
DRS GIVING ALL KINDS OF MEDS FOR FIBRO

lbeachgirl4 replied to marihue's response:
SOME PEOPLE DONOT UNDERSTAND & THINK FIBRO IS A MADE UP DISEASE. DO YOUR BEST & SHUT OUT ALL THE PEOPLE WHO DONOT SUPPORT YOU.

lbeachgirl4 replied to angelswife's response:
me too I feel the same way! lol

clouds in front of me

I like your spirit....

lbeachgirl4 replied to katmandulou's response:
tell me about it people sometimes do not want to learn about fibro so they respond without even reading about it

TammySG replied to lbeachgirl4's response:
difficulty finding a doctor knowledgeable about fibro who doesn't treat you like a druggie.

flyingfree2012 replied to TammySG's response:
My pet peeve is having to go to the ER and being admitted to the pscyh ward because I was making it up that all the tests showed nothing this was in 1978... to this day I hate the attending doc for doing this.

goredbirdsgo responded:
The lack of understanding from others is my biggest pet peeve. People seem to think that if I go out & do something I can ignore my symptoms & I'll feel better. There seems to be this false idea that if you ignore it then it will go away.
Also sometimes my migrains are so bad I can't speak. I have been accused of being negative and being in a bad mood. I'm not in a bad mood I just feel awful, I wish people could understand that.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.