Skip to content
Sleeping Pills - Are You Concerned?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
Do you take sleeping pills? Now and then or regularly? Either way, a provocative new study finds that people who take prescription sleeping pills - even once in a while - have a higher death risk than non-users.

Read the full WebMD article:

Sleeping Pills Called 'as Risky as Cigarettes'

...and share your thoughts. Does this concern you? Will you be talking to your doctor about this? Are you willing to pay the potential price in order to get some sleep which helps your day-to-day quality of life?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell
FirstPrevious12NextLast

angelswife responded:
Hi Caprice,
I don't use sleeping pills. My MD did prescribe Clonazepam at one point, but I haven't used it in over a year. If I need help sleeping, I take MidNitePM, or (occasionally) a Benadryl. That is the strongest I'll go, unless I'm in major pain. Then I'll take a Cyclobenzeprine. That always knocks me out.

dollbug responded:
Hello Caprice....MiMi in NC....I also heard that sleeping pills are now considered dangerous....this concerns me although I do not take any...I think it is interesting that over the years one kind of medicine or over the counter medicine was deemed to be a danger to us...and then later it was ok again...I guess this is like anything else...it can change with the wind...perhaps they continue to do more studies on whatever it is they are studying and find a different outcome.

I have taken pain pills only when I was recovering from surgery. I am thankful that my body does not like the way they affect both my mind and my body...

I think that is why that I was so determined to find vitamins and supplements which would word for me...I still have to trick my brain at times...in order for them to work for me...it is very odd how this works...but we have to figure out exactly what works for us and go with it...

Thanks for sharing....I hope others will read the link and post as well..

Take care and thanks for being here with us...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

lngstandingpain replied to dollbug's response:
I do not "really" take a sleeping pill but I take 0.5 mg lorazepam (Ativan) sublingual at bedtime. I had read somewhere that it helped FM, so I decided to give it a try and it does indeed help. Ativan also prevents the chronic migraine I had on awakening and it helps me to fall asleep at night. I used to take Imitrex for migraine attacks and I somehow figured out after 2 months (by luck about three years ago) that this tiny sublingual pill would stop a migraine in its track. What a blessing!!! My doctor doesn't like the fact that I take Ativan because of the possibility of addiction. As I keep telling him: I don't take it more than 3 times a day max. (for a total of 1.5 mg) and the side effects from Imitrex were killling me!!! I felt as if I had been run over by a truck and the migraine lasted 3 days - which meant taking more tablets to take. In addition to that, I had to take 15 Imitrex tablets per month. After 3 years of taking Ativan SL, I am no more addicted than I was since the first day I took it. Lucky, I guess. I am SO glad I don't have to take Imitrex anymore.

redschu responded:
have used both prescription and natural for sleep - prescription left me groggy for most the day (even taking a 1/4 of a pill) - natural did not work for me - what has worked is a grounding sheet on my bed - after yrs of not sleeping, i'm sleeping a good 8 hrs - my dad who has vascular alzheimers and parkinsonism had his taken off his bed because he was "sleeping too deep" - am very concerned about those who take them and depend upon them - it sounds very serious
God bless your day - Carol

lngstandingpain responded:
Sorry, Caprice. My reply appeared as being a reply to "Dollbug" in error. I guess I clicked at the wrong place.

Anon_10089 replied to lngstandingpain's response:
I'll chime in since I do use sleeping pills and think I will always have to. I have had FM since childhood and my first symptom (or maybe the trigger itself) was terrible sleeping patterns. My body naturally has a hard time falling asleep, then I awake numerous times per night. I have slept like that my whole life. I take OTC diphenhydramine (Benedryl-mentioned in the article) and/or melatonin.

I cannot yet give full credence to this study as it seems very broad to me. As the article mentioned, it does not take into account other health problems that people may have had that caused not only the sleep disturbances, but possibly contributed to their deaths. It also did not take into account other risk factors or lifestyles.

I also do not discount it completely. But for me, I think my health would be more seriously damaged if I did not take the sleeping pills. Getting only a couple hours of sleep per night would, I think, be more detrimental to me. Plus, I am very healthy otherwise and eat little to no sugar, lots of vegetables, have never smoked, etc. So I think I'm doing a good job preventing early death/cancer in other areas of my life.

I think this study sounds like a good start for further and more detailed research.

TammySG replied to Anon_10089's response:
I do take sleeping pills because I absolutely can't sleep without them. If I really have to get up extra early, then I don't take it, and then I pay for it.

fontanille replied to Anon_10089's response:
I so agree with you

donnna

Anon_2912 responded:
I have been on Ambien for the last 18yrs, no issues, except I only take them about once every 3 weeks.

No I don't worry about them.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to lngstandingpain's response:
Hi worries, Ingstandingpain.

Thank you (and thanks to everyone) for responding to this issue. I really appreciate the thoughtful answers.

It's never simple, is it?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

gridly1 responded:
Hi, After trying every health product imaginable, most with no help at all, I have been on Sleep meds for many years. First Ambien. I fluctuated from 10mg to 5 to none and around again. Ambien Caused me to Be PSYCHOTIC!
In the summer of '08, after 2 auto accidents in a 30 day span, I was diagnosed w/ FM. In '09 after 30 nights w/ NO SLEEP, after trying EVERYTHING, I was prescribed Seroquil for sleep. It helped me sleep. BUT with in 8 months I had GAINED 40lbs , My Cholesterol and Blood Sugar SKYROCKETED!
January '09, with help from a Naturopath,I started getting sleep w/ Tranquinol.(herbal formula by Quantum) After 5 nights of 5 1/2 hrs of sleep, I was OUT OF M SUPPLY! And all across the world it was on back order! 30 nights went by w/ NO SLEEP! NOT EVAN AN HOUR!
Out of Fear I started taking Ambien again, Praying for some relief. NOW AMBIEN only gave me 2 1/2 hrs of sleep a night! I then went WITHOUT SLEEP except, 3 nights a week, I was able to sleep 2 1/2hrs. SO I got 7 1/2 hours a WEEK for 5 months ! Until late June '09.

Allinmymind responded:
I take something called mini press for night terrors I have PTSD on top of everything else altho I don't sleep much about 4 hours a night I do worry about the effect all these problems I have and the meds I have to take to somewhat stay balance I will be talking to my Drs about all the meds to see what can be done

Allinmymind replied to Allinmymind's response:
I also take seroquil,topamax and treamdol and a number of other pills

booch007 responded:
Caprice,

I use my Valium for the muscle relaxant property when the night starts out bad. This plus my other meds. IF it shortens my life........

I would rather have QUALITY and not QUANTITY if down to the wire. I am always skeptical of studies. You can always find another to disprove the one you are quoting. Found this alot!

I want quality...........(I think I have it). Thanks, Nancy B

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
474 of 549 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.