Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain in elbows?
joyslp posted:
Hello, I'm a newbie also, my doctor said to stay away from other websites except WEBMD. I have recently been dx: with FM and just wondered if anyone else experiences pain in their elbows. My rhemotologists informed me that, the elbow is not usually an area of pain with FM. Anyone else out there with this system? And it's great to finally find a support group to share and learn with.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Joyslp,

I'm sure others will be responding but, in the meantime, I wanted to welcome you here. That's cool what your doctor said!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

dollbug responded:
Hello joyslp and welcome....MiMi in NC....I am one of the FMers here who has had problems with the elbows...actually I got to where I could not wash my hair or brush my teeth....I ended up having elbow surgery on the right elbow...the neurosurgeon told me that he had no idea what happened to it...it was red, swollen and very inflammed...when he did the surgery on me....it took over 2 years for it to completely heal....

I really needed to know if there was anything else I could do to prevent the left elbow from getting in the same condition as the right one...he did not have any answers for me...

Once it completely healed....I have not had many problems with it....I do have some problems though with the left one....off and on...

I do not know what caused my problems but I do know just how much pain and agony I went through until my elbow healed....

I hope this does not happen to you....

You might try to purchase some elbow braces which on occasion I still have to wear at night....they help me when I am having problems with them...

While I am "talking" to you.....have you gotten your doctor to check your Vitamin D levels checked yet? If not...perhaps you need to speak to your doctor about this and get it done....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some of us...and it can also affect other illnesses as well...

Take care and good luck..

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Lauralizzie01 responded:
joy, i too haveproblems with my elbows. aim seeing a pm dr on the sisxteenth so i figured id talk to him about it. mostly dior me the outside by my forearm

xperky responded:
I believe the elbows are two of the tender points? Mine bother me, especially during the night and early morning.

Welcome to this support group! I look forward to getting to know you.
With Compassion,
Margaret

1wareaglefan replied to xperky's response:
Margaret is right...the elbows, actually on the inside I think, are 2 of the tender points. My elbows do bother me. In fact, I had tendonitis in both and surgery on the right one.

Teelady1 responded:
I have elbow pain. It hurts when I press down on the pump of the soap dispenser.

My regular Dr first diagnosed my FM - at that time I was having more of a weakness in my arms - not so much the joint pain. The weakness seemed to radiate from the tender points near the elbows. I was planning to get a 2nd opinion from a rheumatologist who treats FM paitents - and when I started getting more joint pain I made that appointment. Thinking it is related to the FM as the pain desn't seem to respond well to anti-inflammatory meds.

SilverDove7 replied to Teelady1's response:
I have had both my inside elbows and outside elbows hurt. I did see where it is considered one of the tender points and was told it was due to fm.

Sabrina

mnjeepguy responded:
I am in week 5 of PT for both of mine. Sometimes the pain was bad enoug to wake me up. It's hard to lift a coffee cup in the morning. I'n not sure exactly what pain you have, but mine was said to be tennis and golfers elbow in both arms. I hope you feel better soon.

D12345678 responded:
The arm pain really treks me out..When my pain started 6 months ago it was stabbing ankle pain in one ankle, it moved to the other. then stabbing wrist pain. one at a time. as the pains progressed through my body i got deep joint pain in my shoulders and elbows. odd. first the right shoulder then a few stays later the left. same with the elbows.. first one then the other. y biceps feel like i was punched. bruised feeling..

then the back and the neck. i kept a journal and i can see the progressive spread to the new parts of my body having pain.. it was so scary!
i thought i was dying.
needless to say i didn't sleep well and no dr would give me pain meds!

tried the herbal route for 2 months. finally dx'ed with FM and i am not sure all the cymbalta and lyrica i am taking is really giving me relief as the past 3 days i feel lots of pain, 2 huge attacks and the only time i can do any house work or hobbies is on pain meds..

there has to be an answer to better our lives.

I joke to my hubby when my pain is really bad I say
"It's almost time to start drinking margaritas"
Thats when he knows i am at the end of my rope!
I don't drink, an occasional beer, but for 6 months i have been saying that.!!!

Humor and laughing is supposed to be good medicine so try to laugh when you are feeling "well"

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
462 of 537 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.