Skip to content
Comfy Bras and More
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
Another recycled topic to start it anew:

We all know that bras — and all clothes for that matter — can sometimes hurt some of us. So what kind of bra do you wear and have you ever tried a new kind of bra at the recommendation of someone here? Did you get good results?

And now that products that slim and smooth beneath your clothing have become so popular, do you even attempt them when you want to look great? Are there ones that hurt less than others?

And for the guys who look in here, are there clothing items that you have to avoid or alter in order to wear so they don't hurt?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

crazytaurenswife responded:
I use Walmart's version of a Cupid Anywhere Panel Camisole ($11 instead of $27). It's soft, stretchy, and doesn't have any bands to cut into your skin. The only problem I've had is that the bottom will roll up...but I'm pretty sure that's just because of my body shape. My hips spread a *lot* when I was pregnant with my boys, and all the weight I've gained hasn't helped. What has worked for me to fix that is to use the 'boy shorts' style underwear that go with the bra. They are much more comfortable than regular ones and only $8 for a 2 pack.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/style-6423-cupid-anywhere-panel-camisole/10038436?trail=SRCH%3Acupid camisole&ancestorID=alldept&searchString=cupid camisole&moduleName=S0011&startSearch=yes&fromSearchBox=true&addFacet=SRCH%3Acupid camisole

~Jessi

GrizzlyGirly responded:
I posted this same thing about 2 years ago under a different e-mail address, so I have different Name now but here's what I do when I can get away with it.........
I wear super soft, cotton tank tops or camis UNDER my bra!
Ya cant really tell that the tank is not over my bra bra instead of under unless it's a deep V neck. Also, there is no "definition" or "seperation" of the breasts but I dont care about that.

I found them at Miejer's in the plastic packages by the thermal underwear. The cotton is like baby clothes & really helps with the 'digging in' around my rib cage & under the straps as well.

Also, when ever I buy new shoes, I buy new gel inserts at the same time. I cant wear high heels anymore but there are gels for those too.

I did get a mid-section "Spanx" like garment but I'm single & never really go out so I think I've only worn it once & couldn't wait to get it off!!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I love hearing all these tips and recommendations. While we're all different, I think all of these posts over the years have really helped many, including me.

The best tip for me (aside from opening my eyes to new products out there) was to buy a bra that was a bit bigger than needed in circumference. That made a huge difference in my own comfort level.

Keep 'em coming, everyone!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Anon_40323 responded:
About a year ago I bought some of those Ahh Bras that are advertised all over tv. They're very comfortable, especially if you go up a size or two. You can put it on over your head, or just step in and pull up.

Half of the ladies in my Pilates class are wearing them now, they're softer and more flexible than sports bras. I have a few in Med and Lg sizes.

crazytaurenswife replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I'm not able to try using a larger band size because I always slide out of the cups...the only way I didn't was if I got one that was a little too small, or if I made the band smaller myself (I have two or three where I've taken at least an inch off the band and I STILL slid out). I blame it on my kids lol

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Anon_40323's response:
I think I'm going to have to try one of those Ahh Bras... I certainly hear enough good things about them to give them a shot.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to crazytaurenswife's response:
Attagirl, CrazyTaurensWife, blame it on the kids!

Weezie6452 replied to GrizzlyGirly's response:
That's a great idea to wear a soft cami or tank top under a bra. I tried it yesterday and it worked great. Thank you!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Weezie6452's response:
That's great to hear, Weezie!

lngstandingpain responded:
Thank you, Caprice, for asking this question. I have so much problems trying to find a bra that fits me without having rib pain. I've bought at least 10 bras within the last year or so, and none fit me comfortably. I have bought several extensions and usually have to wear two or three of them at all times as my body can start swelling at any time. The extensions do not really solve the problem as the straps keep falling off, but at least it relieves rib pain. I retired a few months ago and now I hardly wear any bras anymore. The only problem is gravity... I have also bought several sports bras but found them to crush my breasts too much. I need a sport bra that stretches so the breasts would have a space to "breathe" but have not been able to find that type of bra yet.

Mizgoodie replied to lngstandingpain's response:
I buy bras from Woman within with wide straps so they don't ddig in which helps alot.

Also, when the skin on my legs start burning, I put on panty hhose. It sounds funny but they keep the air from burning my legs or from things brushing up close to me and it helps alot.

Konegonda replied to GrizzlyGirly's response:
Instead of Spanx, I wear bike shorts that have a little Lycra in them. They are much more comfortable, and do the same job.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to lngstandingpain's response:
As you can see, Ingstandingpain, you're not alone in having the same issues.

Keep reading here for some tips, some of which may help.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Mizgoodie's response:
That's a neat tip, Mizgoodie; I'd never have thought of pantyhose being used for that.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.