Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
men and fibromyalgia
scwling posted:
Hi again, I've got another question for the community;

I'm a 45 yo male, and in the past year have had many symptoms of fibromyalgia. I don't see much discussion around anything specifically related to men and fibro, and seems most members are female. Perhaps I'm not searching for the right things? However, I'm wondering if I am truly in the minority or if there are a lot of guys out there with the same problems??

Scott

Teelady1 responded:
Scott, there are a few men who post here - including our expert MD, Dr. P. I forget the percentage breakdown - but fibro affects women more than men. However, there are men with FM. You can always ask Dr. P a question. Put Dr. P in the subject line of the discussion. I think he typically checks the discussions on the weekends.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Scott and welcome to WebMD,

As Teelady said, we do have a few men who post here and Dr. Pellegrino himself has FM.

You're definitely not alone.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

mnjeepguy responded:
Welcome Scott, we are a minority here but you are in the right place for support and resources. I have not been officially diagnosed yet, but have seen a rhumatologist who suggested it was the culprit.

FL_Jay responded:
Hello Scott--WELCOME
51 y/o/ Male here and I 've been dealing w/ FIBRO issues for about 9 yrs now.
though in the minority here, so MUCH info here can be so helpful.

dollbug responded:
Hello....MiMi in NC....I wanted to say that even though there are more women here than men....I do think that a lot of men have FM....I just think that they do not seek help for it....perhaps they accept it as getting old or something....I do not know...

I think that men are more prone to try to ignore what is going on with them than women do....I do think though that you can find a lot of information here to use which might help you cope better....

I do not understand exactly why FM attacks more women than men....but I have read that this is true...
I do know that a person has to learn how to pace, pace and pace some more...and I would think that it would not matter what sex you happen to be...

Drinking a lot of water daily and eating right is also important...and trying to find ways to improve your pain...

I would also encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....which is so very important to a lot of people these days....I just read that a study has been made and they found that nursing home patients are very low in Vitamin D also...

Low Vitamin D can cause some of us to have additional pain...and it can also affect other illnesses as well...according to the medical researchers...

I hope that some of the "few good men" that we have will see your post and chime in here...

I do hope that you will stick around and join our conversations....post often, ask questions, make comments and/or suggestions...and know that we are all in the same boat here....

Take care and good luck...

MiMi

IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

scwling replied to dollbug's response:
Thanks all for the feedback, and I definitely will stick around and be part of the conversations!

Scott

Mark Pellegrino, MD replied to scwling's response:
Hi Scott

Welcome from another male fibro owner! We men represent 15% of the fibro population; common enough for men, but we are still badly outnumbered, esp in this community! You, MNJeepguy, FL_Jay and I will have to watch each other's backs here, LOL!

Actually, Scott, the ladies are wonderful and helpful here and can become your best friends. Enjoy your conversations with all your new fibro friends. Let me know if you have any questions I can help out with.

Dr. P

shawie1969 responded:
Hi Scott, my name is Shawn. I am 42 and have been fighting with the symptoms of FM since an auto accident in 1988. I still do not have an official diagnosis. The first Dr. I seen for this was also seeing my wife for Lupus which almost killed her, and told me I was probably just under alot of stress and depressed. Now all the doctors I have seen since have tried to use this same theory. I can't seem to get it through their heads that the symptoms were there even before I met my wife. VERY FRUSTATING!!! Last September I had to quit work because I could no longer function with the lack of sleep, chronic pain, lack of concentration, etc. I am now fighting to get disability.

SORRY!!! Sometimes we just need to blow some steam.

You are in the right place and for a reason. There are some wonderful people here with wonderful information. Don't be afraid to ask questions. We are all in the same boat.

God Bless,

Shawn

scwling replied to shawie1969's response:
Thanks Shawn for the insights, sorry to hear your story.............I wish the best of luck to you in managing it and in getting what you need!

Over the past few weeks, I continue to have on/off, sporadic (up/down in intensity) symptoms. Had my vitamin D level checked, was very low on the range so started to take a supplement for that for the last week............."marginally" feeling better these past days, but who knows if it's the placebo effect, less stress, etc. etc.!!

Also, about 2 weeks ago went to see my PCP again, she did a bunch more blood tests (many which were previously already done).......some were out of whack with the ranges.............could be due to the steroids course I've been on (thankfully, on my last 3 days of that - what a waste, and I think it actually contributed to my feeling worse for a few weeks!). After I'm off the steroids for a bit, going to get the bloodwork redone to see if it truly was due to the steroids throwing the results "off".

On the waiting list to see the rhematologist..........that is the recommendation of my PCP. And, my neuro doc recommends a 2nd opinion at a university hospital............going to defer that until after I see the rheumatologist. I'm not too eager to keep seeing docs, keep doing tests, etc..................I'm trying to live with the pains/discomfort/symptoms!

Again, best of luck to you.....and, again to all, thanks for the support of this community!

briar50 replied to scwling's response:
Hi Scott,
My name is John and I was diagnosed by an osteopath who was my pcp in 1988.They think mine was brought on by a car aaccident as well. I hang out here quite a bit but do not post much.

There is a site out there that is mostly made up of male fibri sufferers. They do have a pretty good site. It is called menwithfibro and I was told about it here by another member.

The ladies here are wonderful and they have a great sense of humor and are very knowledgeable. They are a fun bunch to interact with and are very active posters. If you have questions they generaly have the answers to most of your questions.

I hope you get the diagnosis thing straightened out sooner rather than later.

Here is hoping you and all the others in the group have a pain free day,

John

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
467 of 542 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.