Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dr. P: Inflamed Fascia?
georgia888 posted:
Hello Dr. P,
Adrienne Dellwo recently commented on the possibility of inflamation of the fascia as one explanation of our stiffness, etc.

You have often stated that there is no inflamation with Fibro.

Please comment on this.

Thank you,
georgia

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi georgia,

It used to be thought that fibro was caused by inflamed fascia. Over 100 years ago, physican Sir William Gower observed under a microscope a biopsy of back muscle from a man with chronic back pain. He described imflamed fascia which he coined "fibrositis." That name eventually became synonymous with our condition until "fibromyalgia" replaced it in the late 1980's.

However, subsequent research failed to confirm Dr. Gower's "inflamed fascia" finding; no inflamed fascia was found by others. This controversial "inflamed fascia" description led, in part, to the confusion and question whether fibromyalgia even existed.

We know now that fibro is certainly real, and that it is not associated with inflamed fascia, or other inflammation. Our stiffness is mostly from our tight muscles lacking energy molecules.

Hope you have a good day!

Dr. P

georgia888 replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Thank you, Dr. P!
georgia

Mamamia777 replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Well, I beg to differ! I have had it for 22 years, and my muscels DO become inflamed!!! Especially right around my spine. They swell up, get hard and hot!!! I have asked what it is that gets inflamed around my spine, but no one can tell me. But it IS INFLAMED!!!

xperky replied to Mamamia777's response:
Mamamia - many of us have multiple conditions. For instance, I have Osteo arthritis and probable inflammatory arthritis along with FM. So some of my pain and stiffness is due to FM and some to arthritis. I'm trying to learn the differences and how to respond to each episode.

I have frequent back muscle spasm episodes like you. They are awful. In my case, I think my chronic stiff muscles make it easier for me to injure muscles. I have to stretch tons before being active, or else...!

It's not easy, is it?!!!
With Compassion,
Margaret

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
462 of 537 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.