Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Running and Fibromyalgia
aschro13 posted:
Hello all. When I was first diagnosed with Fibro three years ago, it was at the age of 19 after a car accident. Although younger than most, it explained so many things to me that I'd dealt with health wise as a child and young adult that were until then, unexplained. When I was diagnosed, I was told that I would no long be able to do any cardio or high impact activity. At first, I accepted it and did yoga when I could, but finally realized I had put on significant weight and wasn't going to take being told I "couldn't" at such a young age. I decided that I would begin working out and the gym and slowly but surely fell in love with running. I truly believe that it is the main item in my treatment plan that keeps me going, gives me a reason to get up in the morning and helps me manage my symptoms. Is there anyone else here that is also a runner or even a distance runner as I am?

Take the Poll

What, if any, exercise do you participate in?
  • Running or other high intensity cardio
  • Low intensity cardio
  • Muscle work
  • Streching only
  • none
vote
View Poll Results

Anon_10089 responded:
Hello-

I also have had FM since I was young and for years shied away from heavy exercise. A few years ago, though, after gaining weight from meds, I decided to exercise no matter what.

I found that I can handle ellipticals and biking pretty well--even high intensity, like spinning classes. I've also done indoor rock climbing regularly and found that to not flare me up too badly.

I wanted to start running and began training last summer. However, I quickly developed bursitis in my hips. The last time I ran was in September (and a very short distance) and I still have the bursitis. In order to run, I think I'd have to do physical therapy, chiropractics, and more. So for me, it's not worth it.

That experience reaffirmed that for me, I can do intense exercise but it needs to be low impact. Even walking still irritates my hips.

If you're okay with running, then I say do it. The endorphines and sense of accomplishment probably go a long way to helping you with the FM. I'd maybe just caution you about the wear and tear. It would be rough to end up with problems in the future not related to the FM but that can cause pain.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I don't run but I do low impact cardio. For me, it's helped with the FM more than yoga or stretching (stretching just hurts), and it gives me some much needed energy.

Good for you for finding something that is working well for you.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

crazytaurenswife responded:
I used to use a few low-impact aerobics DVDs, but even 10 minutes is enough to set off a flare. I am currently trying out different yoga (and one tai chi) DVDs from my library. Yoga for the Rest of Us is still my favorite. This is just enough to get my body to 'move' better, but not so much that my pain levels end up out of control. Someday I'd like to get an elliptical or treadmill, but this works for now.

~Jessi

katmandulou responded:
Other! I do yoga once a week in a class, and I try to do a session at home. It helps my balance, coordination, and flexibility.
Yoga incorporates low-intensity cardio, muscle work and stretching.
Lou

Teelady1 responded:
I walk and stretch. If I'm not walking around the neighborhood, I'm walking on a golf course. I have a cart for my clubs - used to carry my clubs years ago. Can't do that anymore.

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

For me, I dance and jog(trampoline) and walk or use the treadmill at work. BUT IT IS DONE during my wellness window.

I can do anything between 9-2pm.....but then muscle fatigue begins and I must be careful. I DO acheive a good workout when I am in a good place and not a flare. IT helps the mind and that sense of accomplishment.

I have to be careful though the spirit is always stronger then the flesh for me!! If I work out hard in the early a.m. I may not make the full day at work. The running out of gas at work is not fun. I have to explain why I look the way I do and so on....

So stretching and movement is major with me, then a good cardio at 65% of target heart rate is a great thing. (220 minus your age is 100%....85% is testing zone....and 65% is an aerobic work out)

For some this is so easy...but for others it is just enough and you need to do no more than 65% to have benefit.

Thanks, Nancy B

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.