Skip to content
Favorite Easter Memories
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
With Easter and Passover being right around the corner, I thought we could have a change of pace and I'm wondering...

1. What are your favorite Easter/Passover memories?
2. Is there a favorite food or meal you enjoy for this holiday?
3. How do you traditionally spend this holiday in your family?
4. When was the last time you participated in an Easter Egg hunt?
5. What's your favorite Easter candy?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

1wareaglefan responded:
Hi Caprice, I love Easter! The significance of it makes it my favorite day of the year.

1. My favorite Easter memory is of me as a young child. It was so exciting getting a complete new outfit, including dress, shoes, purse, hat, and petticoat. I can still remember how much I loved the crackle sound made by my stiff new petticoat!

2. We typically have the traditional meal of ham, potato salad, deviled eggs, etc.

3. We go to church, then have the family over for lunch. When the children were small, we always had an egg hunt in the backyard. Then there was always a lot of eating of candy!!

4. Probably the last time I participated in an egg hunt was when our kids were young....many years ago. Now that we have a grandchild, I'll be looking forward to those again!

5. My favorite Easter candy is the Reese's peanut butter eggs...yum!

Elizabeth

crystalscats responded:
I still to this day watch the 10 Commandments. I hated the dresses and hats my mom dressed me in though. I have always been a tom boy. Then to add insult to injury when I got older I always played the Easter Bunny in school to the little kids, as I was the only that fit in the outfit. I did get out of classes for it though. I will admit too I did like the little kids and their faces as I gave out the Easter Eggs.

katmandulou responded:
1. Chocolate bunnies and jelly beans, Mom sorting the Jbs into five piles - one for each of us. More recently, Peeps, and aging them so they're crunchy on the outside and soft inside. I remember the "bunny cake" my Nana used to make, it was small but good.

2. HAM! How I love Easter dinner, and I'd have it ones a week if I could.

3. It's just the two of us, so we usually depend on the kindness and invitation of a sibling. I've become the family baker, so Easter Eve is spent planning and baking.

4. I've never hunter for Easter eggs, but I have played "guess how old this is" in the 'fridge.

5. PEEPS!

Lou

DaisyTK responded:
I still love the smell of vinegar. Used that to color eggs when I was a kid. I don't really eat many sweets now~~~ as a kid I loved everything!!! LOL

I have got to say this~~ Along with the Fibro~~ I now have shingles, just getting to the blister stage. Oh how this is hurting! I have my cream, I have my antiviral meds (which I started on the day the rash first appeared) I thought the bypass hurt~~~ this is pretty comparable.
It's ironic this is on an Easter post. I am very sure stress brought the shingles on~ we have a new pastor, she has done wonders for our church in the year she has been there and I love her! But~~~ As the decorator for the church, I alwys did St. Patrick's and Easter.((St. Patrick's not intended for the "drunks")) I was told someone new at our church was highly offended by the decorations, and pastor herself told me she doesn't like the word Easter but wants it Resurrection Day. I asked her if the Easter was pagan like St. Patrick'd day was to her and she honlstly said yes. The word Easter. I've smiled and nodded and kept my mouth shut~~~
My brain just exploded as did my Fibro, as did the shingles.
It's EAster, always has been, always will be, was used by the ancients to convery to Christianity.
Oh mercy I don't mean to rant~~
I ask that you all enjoy your Easter, be blessed by the meaning and enjoy!!!!!! ALL! the candy you can!!!
Thank you for letting me kvetch!!! LOL

angelswife responded:
Hi Caprice!

1. My favorite Easter memories are of hunting for Easter Eggs, Jellybeans, and Chocolate Bunnies around the house. Sometimes mom would hide things a little too well, lol and days later we'd be "following our noses" to a missed egg. I had as much fun coloring the eggs as I did looking for them. But oh, I ate SO much candy!

2. I never really had a favorite food, as our family didn't do Easter dinner. But our Pastor does a traditional Seder dinner (even though we are not a Jewish church) for the community, and I really enjoy it. This year will be the fourth year Husband and I are going, and it's become an enjoyable tradition. It brings the true meaning of Easter closer to home.

3.Our family never really celebrated Easter, aside from hiding goodies for us kids. We did go to church (mom was the organist) but I don't remember doing much else. Now Husband and I celebrate by going to church; then afterwards we go to our Lourdes Shrine to walk the stations of the cross. Husband used to be Catholic, so he lights candles for different people there. I enjoy sharing this tradition with him.

4.The last time I did an Easter Egg Hunt was three years ago, when Husband and I visited his daughter and the grandkids. We set up an Easter Egg Hunt for the kids; then they turned the tables on us and set one up for us. It was a lot of fun.

5. My favorite Easter candy was black jellybeans.This year, I found, to my chagrin, that the manufacturer is using White Mineral Oil as an ingredient. I ate a couple of handfuls of the jellybeans and spent the next day living in the bathroom, so they had to go. I will now be treating myself to a Dark Chocolate candy bar with almonds and sea salt instead. Think that'll be my new favorite.

Teelady1 responded:
  1. Favorite memory: When I was in grade school, our family vacation was often at Easter (in those days we actually had Easter vacation with school getting off Good Friday and the week following Easter). Anyway, even though for many Easters, we were on vacation — we would go to church where ever we were. And amazingly, the Easter Bunny still managed to know where we were — and hide our Easter baskets in the hotel room!
  2. Easter dinner is at my cousin's house — usually ham (which I love). But for the years when the Orthodox Easter falls on the same Sunday as our Easter, my cousin (who is married to a Greek) with fix a traditional Greek dinner with lamb. That's good, too!
  3. Because I sing in the choir at church, I'm at my church all Easter morning — and then meet up with my family at my cousin's house for dinner.
  4. My sister-in-law's Mom always has an Easter Egg hunt for the kids. A couple years ago, she hid the eggs too well. We were at their house a few days after Easter and we were still hunting for eggs in the backyard!
  5. I've always loved jelly beans — but give me a good dark chocolate cream-filled or marshmallow egg and I'm happy!
Gwen

missshortyd responded:
Morning Fmily

1. I remember my 1st pair of stocking that were held up with garters and I spent the whole day trying to keep them up.lol

2.I usually make a leg of lamb along with the ham and salads

3. I love black jelly beans.

4. Dying eggs with the kids is always fun.

loni54 responded:
Wow, there are days when my pity pot is overflowing. Then I say to myself about a really young person that has a life of pain. If I can take the disease away from someone young by having it myself, I will gladly continue so another might not have to suffer. I like to think that I have been given this cross to carry because I can. Happy Salvation to all.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
How fun to read all your responses!

Elizabeth, got any of those peanut butter eggs handy?

Little ones always make it fun, don't they, CrystalsCats?

Lou, I'm still laughing at your number 4!

Daisy, I sure hope the shingles ease up soon. And I have to say, I'm not sure I'd have been able to keep my mouth shut like you did.

Angelswife, really cool about your number 2.

Hi Gwen, that sure was some amazing easter egg hiding! LOL

I always enjoyed dyeing eggs with my kids too, Missshortyd.

Welcome here, Loni! We hope you'll stick around. If you ever need to start a new discussion, just hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Submit.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

booch007 responded:
My favorite memory is the dresses, specifically a lavender purple dress with a crinoline under skirt (so it puffed out) we had matching coats...my sis and I). We always went to the cemetary after church to see Grandma and Grandpa......

But the outfits, that was so special. New shoes and going to church for all the girls to see the new stuff we had.

Even the white gloves. Mom didn't drive so she would order through Aldens(/) I think. Then it would be waiting for us when we got home from school...all pressed and on hangers. Such a surprise.

Good stuff, Carise I am back on L.I. now and I am 5-6 y/o. Good stuff. Now I am using my finger to get the mashed potatoes that were left in the pot! Another treat that was alternated between the kids.......

The Holymovies also were a biggy during this season...why tey had to get rid of all that..... It was good for the soul.

Nancy B

Old1now responded:
When we got home from church we found that the Easter bunny had been there already. Candy and egg nests were hidden all over the house. My kids never figured out how it happened. I would have everything ready. Then when we all went out to the car there was always a lot of confusion. And I would always have to go back into the house for something we " forgot". I used to move real fast to hide everything.

xperky responded:
Happy Easter everyone!

Did anyone else fret about which part of the chocolate bunny to bite off first? LOL I still gather up the jelly beans this time of year. Pure sugar, I know, but what can I say?

In Vermont, Easter weekend was often one of the first pretty Spring days. We would be digging out of "mud season" and could finally wear pretty shoes!

My DH is from a Greek family. He has started a tradition of making Greek Easter bread. He made four loaves of the bread yesterday. One will go to his brother's family.

My MIL died last year on Good Friday. Ironic, because Easter was her favorite celebration, even more than Christmas. So, emotions are confused this Easter. We are trying to remember the positive, loving things about her.

Peace and Love out to all.
With Compassion,
Margaret

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to xperky's response:
I hope your Easter went fine, Margaret, and your MIL's memory brought smiles.

I hope you all had a good weekend!

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.