Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Trazodone as a sleep aid?
mlledufarge posted:
A few weeks ago, I was prescribed trazodone by a rheumatologist to help me get a good night's rest. It was a small dose, and I did not notice any particular difference.
Yesterday, she diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia, doubled the does of trazodone, and prescribed Cymbalta.
I took the larger dose of trazodone last night, and this morning I felt drugged, woke up shaky and nauseous and with a stomach ache. I called the doctor's office, and the recommendation was to take it a few hours earlier tonight, allowing more time for my body to adjust.

While I understand that something like this may be of use to some people, and may be exactly what they need, I do not feel comfortable with this. I have a job, I cannot adjust my schedule just because I'm taking a medication to help me rest better. She didn't say anything about caffeine, or food, or anything else that might help/hinder my sleep. Just gave me the pills. I called my mom after being told to just take the pills earlier in the day, and she said if she were me, she wouldn't take them at all. She worked at a drug rehabilitation clinic, and trazodone was prescribed for people they were weaning off heroin and meth. She said that it's not good, and there are other things I can do to improve my sleep, not the least of which is to cut back or give up caffeine.

I feel very conflicted. I do not like the way this pill makes me feel, not when I sleep, and not when I wake up. I am not comfortable with the fact that the doctor just said, "Well, it's not lupus or any other auto-immune disease, so we're diagnosing fibromyalgia. Here are some pills." Nothing to point me in a direction for what will make me feel better. Nothing to indicate that changes to my diet or lifestyle might help.

Should I seek a second opinion? I mean, great, I've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia because I'm in pain all day, every day, but are prescriptions my only option?

I apologize for just coming here and spouting my problems, I will go through and read prior posts to see what other help I can find. I just feel so lost, and my doctor was so blunt and distant, and when I first mentioned my concerns with trazodone, she just said I needed a higher dose.

Any suggestions or advice?

crystalscats responded:
Hello,
I tried that for sleep one time, that was enough for me. I do now take 1 Flexeril as needed. It is a muscle relaxer and does not leave me groggy. Tylenol PM even 1 will make me groggy the next day too. But read around they are supplements, such as Valerian Root and melatonin.

Read around you will find many very good information. Some people only use supplements not medications as bad effects to them. Everyone is different and what may work for one may not work for another person. Look also under tips and resources they provide a lot of information. I myself am a newbie here and have found so much info that has helped me.
Crystal

1wareaglefan responded:
Did you also take the cymbalta with the higher dose of trazadone? It could have been from combining the two meds.

People with fibro should not start more than one new medicine at the time to see how your body adjusts to it.

Bellagirl31 responded:
Trazadone was used to wean people off of meth and herion as well as in the early 1900's for schizophrenia at doses of 600mg. I currently take it at a dose of 50mg and have to plan carefully when I do. From the time I go to bed (30 minutes after I take it) to setting my clock early to ensure waking up. It is definitely a medicine you have to get use to and be careful with. There are many medicines that are used for many different purposes. I try not to take any medicine unless I am to the point of breaking right now. Still coping with all of this though. I know it sounds crazy but there is more to natural essential oils than you think. When I soak at night I put lavendar, chamomile, and eucalyptus drops in my bath to inhale while relaxing. You can get them at GNC very cheap. I also use a natural calming spray to put on my pillows and sheets to continue from the bath. It actually does help soothe your mind so that you can try to at least lay down to rest if unable to sleep. Chamomile tea with natural vanilla drops also help soothe your insides if your not in a flare up.

CountryLady46 responded:
mlledufarge;
I was prescribed trazadone for sleep also. I tried it for about 3 weeks but did not like the side effects. I woke up most mornings with a headache and felt that I wasn't "with it". I am on disability so I don't have to worry about functioning at a job thank goodness. I try to limit my sodas and other things that can keep you awake at night. I also find that taking a hot/warm shower before bed helps me sleep. I have FM. RA, OA, ruptured discs in lower back, chronic pain, depression and on and on. I also started making sure I eat breakfast every morning which usually consists of oatmeal, juice and 1 cup of coffee. I hope you can find peace and something good that can help you sleep because without proper rest and a good quality of sleep with FM it is hard to function. My best to you!

xperky responded:
I think it is good you found a doctor who is willing to diagnose and treat FM.

I also think it would be good for you to create a team of professionals to help you.

Communicate with your doctor about wanting to start slow with any new medicines in order to track their effects. Also ask if the doctor is willing to work with you by combining lifestyle changes, vitamins, accupuncture or whatever you like, along with prescription medicines. Good communication with each doctor is going to help you in the long run.

It can take a long time to find a good combination for yourself. And even then, that combo might need changing along the way.

I recommend being open to suggestions and being very patient with your body. It's not easy to treat FM, but it is possible to start feeling better!
With Compassion,
Margaret

fibrosux responded:
I just wanted to tell you that I was put on Seroquel about a year ago to take at night, help with sleep and help calm down the central nervous system. Well, they knocked me out each night and I had a hard time getting up earlier than 11:00.

Anyway, I have recently started taking melatonin and it has been FABULOUS I am so happy because it is so much cheaper and natural.

fitzgift responded:
I have had fibro for more then 25 years I could control it with Lyrica Nd Ultram or Tramadol then but now that I am older it has become worse I tried all meds like cymbalta, neurotic ,Lyrica and they all have bad side effects. I am. Nurse and have decided to go the natural way with herbs that have relatively any side effects. I have found a website I like it is WholeHealth.com. On ther is a med called anti- inflammatory support ( most disease.s are caused by inflammation) I have been on it for over a month and have had only 1flare up and I think that was during the time when we had a weather change as the pressure does affect the body. I also use 5HTP to sleep at night ad 1Tramdol I don't have any side effects at all I don't feel drugged out sine this is natural . The only time you need to worry is if you are o. Coumadin a blood thinner. I hope this helps. other things that help are warm baths.pace yourself during the day, learn to say NO massages, hope you get some relief as we have to learn to life with it Fitzgift

painfullyexhausted responded:
I have been taking Trazodone for quite sometime with little side effects if taken with food at a reasonable betime. Even a healthy snack bar and milk is helpful. It could be the Cymbalta or the combonation. I did research Trazodone and knew that it's an old anti-psychotic med but never came across anything about it being used to wean people off of heroin or meth. Very interesting. Honestly, sometimes it's helpful and a lot of the time it's not, meaning that sometimes I sleep for 2-4 hrs and sometimes not at all. I can't really say that it's because of the meds, but more because I wake up from pain. I was told that it would help me go back to sleep which it does unless I'm in pain then nothing helps. I don't know if this is helpful info but maybe try to take it with food and that should be on the rx bottle. Savella is another FDA approved med for FM. It's in the same catagory as Cymbalta, maybe that's a better med for you I've been taking it for 5 months and unfortunately I don't feel that its working well so back to the doctor I go. Trial and error for about 10 yrs now but still hopeful, I think. Find a doctor that will listen to you, they work for you. If you're not comfortable then move on now because it's a long journey. I wish you the best

fibroinsd responded:
Just wanted to say that my son was prescribed Trazadone when he was in high school...and it was not a good experience. We could hardly wake him up in the morning..and it seemed like when he complained all they did was "up" the amount and tell him he needed to "adjust" to it...It was not good...not good at all...

I have taken Cymbalta...and it was good as far as helping me to get some sleep...and getting me on track...I really liked it for awhile...and then found that I was sleeping too much...so went off of it.. Others that I have known have not had good luck with it..and could not take it at all.

My point is bascially two-fold.. 1)...Maybe the trazadone/ and or Cymbalta is too much and you need to lower the amount..or just switch to Cymbalta and see how that goes???? There are things to try...like someone said...flexeril was helpful for sleeping too..

and 2)...Listen to your body...If it doesn't feel right..tell your doctor you are NOT going to do it...and don't let them tell you to take more and more...

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

TDXSP08 replied to fitzgift's response:
My God they let Fibrous patients loose with opiate agonists wow here where i am the would not give them even vicodin or percocetunless they had surgery or something it's kinda of the norm nothing above Toradol and Flexeril for fibrous due to addiction and diversion risk and i just assumed that was everywhere, and do not beat up on Trazadone it is a very good anti -deppressant and for some its a good little push to sleepy time, Me i use either Dalmane 30mg or Restoril 15mg as needed and have done so for the last 16 years ( Yes they are benzo's and yes i take opiates but we are very carefull and i don't see michael jacksons Doctor)

Peace

fontanille responded:
mlldufarge, i guess iam one of the few that can take this drug with no side affects. It has helped me so much and so glad the dr. put me on it.

donna

MaryBruce60 responded:
Hi. Maybe this isn't the right doc for you. I see a neurologist who specializes in fibro. I had to go through 2-3 before I found her. I take Trazodone for sleep. Have for years and it's so helpful. Cymbalta is helpful for pain and depression. Whenever you start a new medication a rule of thumb is to start with a low dose and increase the dose slowly. I take a fairly new drug for fibro treatment called Savella. It helps some. When I don't take it the pain is worse.

What helps me the most is prayer and gratitude. This helps me stay focused. God didn't cause the fibro but He can help us find our way through it.

This is a good site to help get your questions answered. Read lots of books, educate yourself. There is no one answer. You will have to find what works for you. Heat is great. Look into a heated mattress pad. It's wonderful.
God Bless You.
Mary

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
464 of 539 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.