Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I understand but need help
dogluvrrr posted:
Reading these comments made me realize for once that I am not alone.
My primary doctor told me no more narcotics even though I have been hospitalized for my fibro in the past. He told me to learn to live with it. He also referred me to a psychiatrist to help me learn how to deal with chronic pain and my depression. Also to physical therapy. The psychiatrist said after going over my medical records that I didn't need to be there. lol He did however tell me to find a lawyer and apply for disability! I wanted to cry, finally someone who believed me. He has prescribed Cymbalta for me. I have found a new doctor because my doctor ended up leaving his practice but I am worried about how to talk to the new one. Especially since the docs I have seen in the past in the same hospital/clinic act like I am just seeking drugs. What can I do? I am limited as to who I can see. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thank you!

sadecakes responded:
I just moved to a new state (my husband got a new job) and had to renew my prescription for Lyrica and have been treated like a drug addict or dealer. When I called for a new doctor and prescription, I was told that they don't treat pain, they wouldn't provide a prescription for me without my records being sent directly to them from the doctor. When I did finally see a doc, he gave me one month's prescription for Lyrica and sent me to give blood and urine for testing. When I asked about when he wanted to see me again, he told me that "he doesn't know me" and required seeing me again after the tests were run.Even the doc from where I moved (I was only there for less than a year, moved from a place where I lived for 15 years and original prescribing doc was there) wouldn't give me a refill even though I explained that I couldn't find anyone locally who would.

So, I completely understand your frustration. Apparently, there are new laws and regulators who prosecute docs who provide meds to those who don't need them. So, unfortunately, we, one people who have to have these drugs for pain, are penalized.

I also have had people in my life who don't think that FM is even a real diagnosis. They think it's all in my mind or that it's a way to get out of working. I have to believe that those who are closest to me do understand and know that this is very real! But convincing docs of this? I think they either believe the diagnosis or they don't. You HAVE to locate a doc that does believe it. I was told that a rheumatologist might be best for me because they understand pain management and the limitations of FM. So, I'm going to give a call to a doc that someone recommended and see if he is more understanding.

Let me know how you do. Between the two of us (and possibly more), maybe we can figure this out.

TDXSP08 responded:
Well first thing you need to find out is if you have enough quarters for Social Security.

Then The next Hurdle which is a giant one is to find out if the Doctors who have been treating you Agree on one diagnosis and are in favor of you getting disability, if you have a bunch of different unrelated diagnosis from different Doctors your case is going to be the Titanic,Unless all of these diseases they diagnose are commonly diagnosed in error for your condition then your case has traction, so long as these past doctors are in favor of disability and there records show your inability to attain or keep a position commensurate with your level of education due to your medical condition.

Also be prepared 95 out of 100 people are denied on original application, don't seat it just file an appeal and hire an Attorney and not one that advertises on TV, find a local firm who you can meet with face to face rather than a voice on the phone who is different every time and reads canned messages off of a computer screen.

But stick to your gun's and remember all the time they waste denying you is money in your pocket in back pay and when you do get your disability award if it took them 18 months to approve you not only is that 18 months of back pay but more importantly you then only have 6 months to wait before your Medicare goes active, and having Medicare Insurance opens a lot of doors that where previously closed,I kid you not.

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....sorry that you are not feeling better....living with the wrath of the dragon is not easy....but there are things that will help you cope better....it does take a trial and error process though....and this takes time and effort on your part....there are no quick fixes....NONE...that I am aware of....

You do need a doctor though who believes in FM and knows how to treat it....I would indeed apply for disability....you can do this online....and you can do this yourself...you will need to provide names and address of any doctors who have treated you...

You did not say how long you have worked or how old you are....you do have to have enough credits though in order to draw SS Disability....and if you don't have enough...there should be other assistance you can apply for....

I will say this....I have done a lot of research on FM...and I have read many times that pain pills work only for a very short time....such as having surgery...
pain pills might not help your FM at all...

I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to "control my FM pain" by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well...I did try the medicines which the doctor prescribed but did not find anything which helped me without causing side effects...

I would like to encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....which is important to a lot of people these days...low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well, according to the medical researchers...

It is important to get enough sleep and to learn how to pace, pace and pace even more....drinking plenty of water each day and watching what you eat is also important....moving is a must....do some gentle exercises and/or stretches....(gentle is the key word here) ....

I also use my heating pad as needed....stopain spray on places which will not stop hurting...I also take a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts in a stopped up drain to help my body to relax so that I can sleep better...

Everything with dealing with FM is a process and it does take time to figure out how and what to do....but I am sure that you will find things that will help you cope....remember to limit your stress as much as possible....as the wrath of the dragon thrives on stress...and stress causes more pain....it is a vicious cycle for us...and we have to take control....

This is a start for you.....I hope you will continue to post here...ask questions, make comments and/or suggestions...be sure and check out the info under "tips" and "resources" that you will find to the right of this page.....take care and good luck....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.