Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Newbe with questions
micbrewski posted:
HI,
I was just Dx last week. I have questions! I am seeing a Rhumey for the 3rd time. I seen one for over a year, ( she thought I was crazy) and the second one was my cousin DR. ( he said I had RA even though my blood work came back normal) And the 3rd one says it's Fibro. I don't know what to think. Ra runs in my family, can Fibro turn into RA? I know they go hand in hand. So many question running through my mind, where do I start?I was told by a friend that if you respond to Predenisone you have RA, is this true. I did feel better a little when I was taking it. This Dr. took me off of it and I don't feel the difference. She has me taking vitamin D and Amitriptyline to sleep. My PCP gave me Norco to help with the pain. Any idea's? Or am I just crazy? Thanks for your help, Roxann

dollbug responded:
Hello Roxann and welcome....MiMi in NC....no, you are not just crazy....the wrath of the dragon, aka FM, is a real illness....a very ugly and mean illness at that...but there are "tools and tips" that will help you cope....there are no quick fixes....as it does take a trial and error process...as we are all different and what works for one may or may not work for you....

I would suggest though that you find a good doctor who treats FM...someone who will rule out any other illness that you might have...perhaps you should call around in your area and find one who treats FM....(or if you live close to a medical school check with them)...

Learn all you can about FM....educate yourself....you can start right here by reading the info under "tips" and "resources" that you will find to the right of this page...
be sure and read the "sharing your toolbox" post also...

Did the doctor actually check your Vitamin D level and tell you what your level was? This is important....I would suggest that you read up on Vitamin D and just how important it is to a lot of people these days...low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some of us and it can also affect other illnesses as well....

Sleep is a must....and drinking plenty of water is also important and watching what you eat....learning how to pace, pace and pace even more it also important...

Hang out here with us....I am sure you will find some good company here....as we all know what you are going through...

Take care and good luck....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

micbrewski replied to dollbug's response:
HI MiMi,
Thank you for your post, it is very helpful. The Dr who took my Vitamin D test said it was 9. She put me on D for 3 months and wants to check it again then.
Thank you again, Roxann

booch007 responded:
I ditto Mimi, just get as much knowledge as possible to help you figure you out.

Having the label is the first step to getting in better tune then you are now. So much out there to learn from. Dr P here has books on Amazon.com...(page 4 or 5 I found them..) and I also use a book called. FM and Myofascial Pain , a survival manual. by Dr Devin Starlanyl. It is helpful to see symptom and relief...teaches you what to do do help yourself.

Some things work for me, some don't but you always have to be in fight mode and not give in. I am so sorry you also were given this diagnosis it is a toughy......and alot of people on prednisone will get a sense of wellness so it is not true about RA vs FM. Maybe get one more opinion if the information you read doesn't fit you.

I am really not FM I am CMP (chronic myofascial pain) and many put them together but I have clear muscle tight bands and spasm more then all over pain disorder......but this cousin of FM is just as challenging and FM-like that I created a toolbox for all to help eachother so that you can look in at it when ever you need to find a fix.

It is in resources.....Such a long road for most to get diagnosed and learn the right tools and meds, supplements and lifestyle changes. I wish you all the best, Nancy B

micbrewski replied to booch007's response:
HI Nancy,
Thank you for your advise. I will look on Amazon for the book.
So if Pred helped it's Ra, confused here? Or it's a false hope?

Mark Pellegrino, MD replied to micbrewski's response:
Hi Roxann,

Welcome to this community: it's a great place to learn more about your fibro and meet people who know exactly how you feel and what you're going through!

You've gotten great responses already. I'll help clarify your question about prednisone and rheumatoid arthritis (RA).

The diagnosis of RA does not involve whether or not one responds to prednisone. In fact, as Nancy B said, most people who take prednisone will report feeling better, regardless of what condition(s) they have (or don't have!)

RA is diagnosed based on a typical clinical presentation, ie multiple painful swollen inflamed joints, and usual lab abnormalities, ie elevated sed rate, C-reactive protein, rheumatoid factor. Prednisone may be used to treat RA, but prednisone is used to treat a number of inflammatory conditions. Also, steroids can be used in certain situations involving fibro.

Your treating doctor could determine if you are a candidate for prednisone or specific meds based on your specific situation.

You should be very hopeful, true hope, that you will absolutely do better with your fibro. You can learn to successfully manage this condition, and the wonderful FMily here can help you accomplish this goal!

Good luck, Roxann!

Dr. P

xperky replied to micbrewski's response:
Hi micbrewski - A little humor from my rheumy - "Prednisone can make a road kill feel good!"

I had similar questions about why prednisone made me feel so much better.
With Compassion,
Margaret

micbrewski replied to xperky's response:
sorry but what does that mean? I don't feel to bad today but I'm afriad of what tomorrow brings?

painfullyexhausted replied to micbrewski's response:
I think what everyone is telling you is that just because prednisone made you feel somewhat better it doesn't mean you have RA. You need to know what the symptoms of RA are, painfull, red, swollen joints. With FM you do not have red, swollen joints, just pain with no explanation. Prednisone can make people feel better for other reasons. There's alot of helpfull guides, explanations, and books out there. I too encourage you to really educate yourself with this matter because not too many doctors get it, except Dr. P of course ! You may not have every symptom but it doesn't mean you dont have FM and you may have symptoms that not every FM person may have. It's a crazy, frustrating condition so do yourself a favor and read everything you can, educate yourself, and find a great doctor. I hope you find the answers to better your life with FM

booch007 replied to micbrewski's response:
What we are saying again is...prednisone or any steroid class is a med of "fight or flight" It changes you body chemistry to give you energy and a power of strength to do things you couldn't before. Besies being an anti-inflammatory.

So if pain held you back and movement due to inflamation was a problem it reduces it so you feel better.

The FM patient who has pain (not caused by inflamation) but who's muscles have tugged on the tendons too much feel less soreness in those areas and feel better.

It affects all the systems in your body including liberating sugars to have the energy to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

It increases appetite and gives you a sense of wellness, whether or not you had a need for this.

This is all chemistry driven.......a great med, but a dangerous one too with the side effects and toll on the adrenals (who's job it is to handle your cortisol levels). So using this as a guide for a diagnosis is not really a true picture.

As Dr P said, there is much more to the picture in the diagnosis of R.A.

I hope this cleared it a bit for you. Nancy B

painfullyexhausted replied to booch007's response:
Nancy B, I love reading what you write, your analogies and how you explain things are right on ! I've learned a lot reading your chats but never posted until recently. It's theraputic for me to read what others are going through (unfortunately) and makes me feel like what I have is a real thing. I also suffer from CFS and there are days that I just can't go on nor do I want to. I hear "what is wrong with you or get out of your funk" People at work just don't get it and I guess I see there side of it but it's still frustating and depressing. Anyways, thank you for your helpful insight on everything, your wonderful!

I'm glad everyone is explaining the euphoric yet confusing experience of prednisone better than I. Sometimes I should say more, and sometimes less...

Roxann - we all understand the anxious feeling of today being a great day, and worrying about the next day. It makes it difficult to live in the moment and simply enjoy the good days. We must try to live in our good moments though, and not over do as well. It is all such a balancing act.

How are you feeling?
With Compassion,
Margaret

HI sorry for the late respond, I just I will take one day at a time and worry about tomorrow when it comes. Thank you all very much for your responds. They are all very helpful. I guess I need to lean more and find my trigers. Should I find a different Dr? I am seeing an RA Dr. She seems very understanding. I will let it play out for now. Again Thank you all! I hope you all have a pain free day!
Roxann

Roxann, it sounds like you like your doctor so that's great! Rheumatologists seem to be educated about FM since it is considered to be a form of arthritis. Any doctor that is treating your symptoms effectively is a good one in my book.

You will figure out your triggers over time. I just relearned about too much vacuuming in one day! Ouch. LOL.
With Compassion,
Margaret

Margaret thank you very much. I will stay with her, I do feel comfort with her. And doing all that in one day is a very big ouch!
Take care, Roxann

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
447 of 521 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.