Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Fibro and lead connection?
baker1000 posted:
Hi Dr. P. I have a question that doesn't quite fit here, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. I am 25, was diagnosed with fibro at 18 using the pressure point test and my medical history, and began having acute symptoms at 11.

Last summer I tried visiting a naturopath hoping for relief. One of the tests she talked me into was a provoked heavy metals test, which after taking a chelation (sp?) medication and doing a 24hour urine collection found very high levels of lead, along with high levels of several other heavy metals. Prior to this I asked my GP to do a blood lead test, which found no traces of lead. The naturopath seems to think the lead caused my fibro, and if I go through a full course of chelation therapy I will feel much better. The GP (now retired) said that if there was no lead in my blood its not affecting me, any damage it did is already done and permanent, and there's no reason to mess with it. Which makes sense, but I am now about 10lbs overweight, and every time I start to loose a few lbs I get sick, so I wonder if lead is a factor.

Both views make sense to me, and the chelation therapy (if the single dose I took is any indication) will require me too feel horrible and have to scale back my obligations significantly. I am looking for some more opinions before I commit to making an appointment to discuss it with the new doctor who replaced my previous GP. Do you have any insights?

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi baker1000,

Sorry you have fibro too. Fibro at a younger age is often related to hereditary factors.

I am unable to offer medical opinions here. You should work with your doctors for specific advice regarding your specific situation. Here are some general thoughts:

Lead poisoning is a specific condition completely unrelated to fibro. Lead toxicity in children can result from exposure to old paint or contaminated toys. In adults, chronic occupational exposure is the usual culprit. There is no relationship, to my knowledge, with having fibro and getting lead toxicity, or vice versa.

There are typical clinical findings in lead poisoning. Measuring blood levels for high lead content is the standard diagnostic test. If one of my patients had a negative blood lead test, I would not consider a diagnosis of lead poisoning, nor would I discuss chelation therapy or other treatments for lead toxicity.

Dr. P

MarkChilds68 replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Hey Doc. I havent been digonised with Fibro yet but have
been doing alot of research on it and everything i have read about it id just what I am going through. Its in my neck, shoulders, and back. Lots of time I go to bed sleeping all night but waking up to feeling like I havent slept in weeks. Very futiged, and tired. I am always in severe pain my eyes feel like they are closed because of the pain i feel. I have migarins, I cant do many activites. I am just lookin for a little advice, what do u think. If I pick up a gallon of milk the pain starts in the top of my shoulder then shoot up into my neck, Get back to me with ur thoughts and concers. When the weather is good I fell good but when the weather is cold damp rainey ect. i go throught HELL.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to MarkChilds68's response:
Hi MarkChilds,

There are a lot of reasons you could be having that shoulder pain which may or may not have to do with Fibromyalgia.

Please pursue answers for all your symptoms with your doctors and know we'll be here to support you through all this.

I encourage you to start your own discussion on the board with any questions you still have to get support from others and, if you want, to hear from Dr. Pellegrino. Just know that no one can diagnose you online and there's no reason you can't have more than one thing going on at the same time.

Hang in there.

To start a new discussion, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Submit.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.