Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Gabepentin
JRFrogger posted:
Just curious if anyone is on this particular drug and what you think about it? It seems to help some expecially dulls the sensativity I have with my teeth to cold.

SilverDove7 responded:
Im on it and I find that it coupled with physical therapy helps me.Sure it makes me sleepy but thats ok. I take 600mgs three times a day.

crazytaurenswife responded:
I'm on this one also, but I'm taking half the dose that SilverDove77 is taking (300 mg 3x daily). It has helped some, but I think I should be put on a stronger dose. I have only had one morning when I woke up with my pain level at a 9 since starting this med in mid-Feb. On my next appointment, I'll ask the doctor about upping my dose.

~air hugs~ I'm glad it's helping you

~Jessi

greenwitch68 responded:
Hi,
Glad it seems to help you. It made me moody and very very sleepy. I was taking the same dose as SilverDove7 and felt no improvement. Actually ( this may sound nuts) it seemed to increase the pain. I was on it for 4 months and my Doc decided to take me off it.
Hope it continues to work!
GW68

painfullyexhausted replied to greenwitch68's response:
I too have tried Gabapentin, 300mg three times per day. I was off balance during the day, like my gait was off, didn't feel right. I stopped the day time doses and took 600mg at bedtime. After several months of not noticing a difference my doctor stopped the meds. Some people say it works great because it helps with nerve pain and as we all know FM is a central nervous system problem, so they say. I doubt that we will ever really know what this ugly syndrome is. I've read that FM'ers have great success with it but like any other med it doesn't work the same for everyone. If it works for you, then you found your med and stick with it because trial and error stinks. You get your hopes up and want this amazing med to work so badly that you will pay anything for it ( I have no insurance) and it's such a huge depreesing let down when it doesn't. On to the next latest and greatest thing. I hope you find what works, good luck

JRFrogger replied to crazytaurenswife's response:
Thanks for the input! I take also 2 pills one in the morning, 300 mg, and one at bedtime. I dont see any change in my morning pain whatsoever for sure. I will discuss this with my doc. next visit. I also take ibuprofen along with this every 6 hours of 600 mg each dose. If the pain gets too much I result back to my Hydrocodone, but it hasnt been very often. I also am going to a physical therapist and gave her a list of all my other injuries and still am having pain from her exercises. I am not sure about what she is doing to me and my body. Take care all.

crazytaurenswife replied to JRFrogger's response:
I can't take anything containing ibuprofen because I'm already on an anti-inflammatory. I take meds 3 times a day, plus tylenol 1 & 3 when the pain gets too bad. I usually try to take tylenol 1s before work. If I don't, I can barely walk by the time I get home most days - and I only work an hour a day.

Morning: 15 mg meloxicam, 300 mg gabapentin

Midday: 300 mg gabapentin, (2) 1000 ui vitamin d

Evening: 300 mg gabapentin, 50 mg elavil (amitriptylline), (and 10 mg loratadine for allergies about 9 months out of the year)

It annoys the heck out of me some days that I have to take so much, but it's the only way I can function currently. My doctor says there isn't anything else I can try because my insurance won't cover it. I am trying out an aquafit class, but I haven't had any improvement yet. Good luck!

rudyandirmouse responded:
Hi, Linda R here and I've posted on Gabapentin before and none of the posts were good news for Gabapentin. I hate it! Now having said that It Does Work very well for me, darn it!

I start and stop it 2 times each year and I am back on it until, I hope, next month and then I can go off it until Fall when my fibro kicks in and I need to take it. From March/ April thru Oct I can go without it as it's warm and sunny during those months. It's when it turns cold and sunless is when I need it.

On that note: I talked to my Rheumy 2 weeks ago about not wanting to take it any more and she said my complaints about it were pretty common. Swelling and feeling like you've gain weight, sleepiness and fogginess were the most common complaints and those were my top five. But the good it does out weights the common side effects for the fibro sufferer.

So, for now, I take 600 MG at night because it dose help me and I do notice a pain difference as soon as I've gone back on it.

Do I like it? NO! Do I wish I didn't have to take it? YES!! But it does help and I will continue to use it because it deadens the nerve endings and for me my medicine complaints are less than the fibro pain and aches it helps control.

As for helping with tooth pain.. so far that hasn't happened for me.

Linda R

TammySG replied to rudyandirmouse's response:
It messed up my stomach so bad - sharp pains, burning. It was irritating my IBS, is what it was doing. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks and couldn't eat anything. It was awful. And the chronic fatigue sailed through the roof at a fever pitch. All I wanted to do was lay down, I felt so bad. I didn't want to get out of bed and I wanted to sleep all the time. After 2 months, I was able to get back on Lyrica which I will never give up again. Its been like heaven compared to gabapentin.

Tammy

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.