Skip to content
Has having Fibromyalgia affected anyones eye site?
Acheing posted:
I have had Fibromyalgia for over 15 years and it seems like as I get older it gets worse. I have worked through it but now it seems it is affecting other areas. I had been working in the banking business for 30 years and the last 1 year I started forgetting procedures. I started getting stressed and started studdering. Than I started noticing that I could not see clearly so I went to my eye doctor. I did have eye surgery on both eyes and it was okay but now it is happening again, not being able to see clear I can not go to my doctor because I no longer have insurance. So back to my question has anyone had trouble with their eye site.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome.....MiMi in NC....I have had FM for a long time now...and this year has been my worse time with my eyes....I think it has something to do with the weather and pollen this year....since it is so very bad this time...I have had problems before with blurring vision and dry eyes...and then watery eyes...seems like it is a never ending issue with me...one year I had sinus problems really bad....this has not been that bad this year...it is really very weird how different things are affected....

I am now using eye drops and have been using them for some time...and I am also taking a allergy pill right now..

I hope that you will find some relief soon...as I know how bad it feels when you can not see well...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

1Balance2 responded:
Dry eyes and mouth are common with FM. There are many causes, but the two medical names to know are "sicca syndrome" which plainly means dryness, and "Sjogren's Syndrome", which is an auto-immune disease and is much more serious. Sicca syndrome has many contributing and/or exasperating factors, while Sjogren's Syndrome is a separate illness from FM and can occur at the same time. This is called "co-morbid". Your optometrist is your first-line choice for diagnosing or determining the problem. For information on eye ailments, treatments, different eye drops and more, I suggest the website http://www.agingeye.net/dryeyes/dryeyesdrugtreatment.php

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Acheing,

Vision problems are not uncommon for those of us with Fibromyalgia. Be sure your medications aren't creating some of the problems (vision and otherwise) and discuss with your eye doctor, but also check out this discussion with feedback from Dr. Pellegrino:

FM and Vision problems
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

JustJilli replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Caprice,

That link to the page on vision problems didn't work. Gave me a 404 error.

dawncostella responded:
I also have had major eye problems. Not only can I not wear contacts any longer, my eyesite has drastically changed. I now have double-vision and no matter what prescription they put in my glasses my one eye stays at 20/25. My eyesite changed every month for approximately 6 months. It has been hell!!!

kylersnanna7 responded:
I have had FM for over 12 yrs & have a host of problems but I too have been experiencing eye problems. I'm glad you brought this subject up because I was wondering what in the world was going on. My eyes get blurry ALOT & sometimes it even gets to where the vision goes in & out.

So you are not alone. Hang in there & keep us updated on how you are doing. (BTW, I was going to see my eye Dr but have had to cancel twice now due to several different reasons.)

Take Care, Diane

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to JustJilli's response:
Hi Jilli,

I just tested the link again in two different browsers and it worked for me. Is anyone else having a problem?

I hope it was just a temporary problem yesterday at the time you clicked it and all is fine now.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

dollbug replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hello Caprice.....I also checked the link just now...it does give a 404 error....whatever that means...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

sadecakes responded:
My eye sight has definitely. Even affected. Although macular degeneration is common as we get older, I just visited my eye doc and he mentioned his awareness of the effects of Lyrica, which I'm taking, as a cause of deterioration of vision. Not sure if any of you are on Lyrica of not but it can be a side effect. I wear glasses all of the time now when I used to have very clear vision.

I hope you and everyone are able to go to your eye docs and get some help with this. It's another frustration to this disease.

Susan

kylersnanna7 responded:
I just came back here from the Migraine & headaches board & found that my recent stay in the hospital due to "prolonged use of Topamax" for my migraines could be the cause of my blurry vision as well!!! WOW, the FDA really doesn't tell us very much about these medications & I for one am very upset at this finding.

I also just rescheduled my eye appt for the 26th of this month to see if Topamax is indeed the culprit of my blurry vision. I have an appt w/my Neuro on the 24th as a follow-up to being discharged from the hospital & will talk to her about this too.

Just wanted to let y'all know this problem with your eyes could possibly be caused by a medication as Caprice said & have it checked out by a Dr.

I hope you all have a restful pain-free night. Diane

1Balance2 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I also get the error. Just checked now, so the problem is still current.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to dollbug's response:
Weird! Thanks to you and others for checking that and reporting back. It's still working fine for me.

Anyway, perhaps try copying and pasting this URL:

http://forums.webmd.com/3/fibromyalgia-exchange/forum/16955

Acheing replied to dollbug's response:
Thank you MiMi in NC.... I do appreciate your response. This is my first time in the community and was a little scared to ask my question but than I saw all the response to other questions so I said why not. Again thank you

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.