Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Includes Expert Content
? for Dr. P about dizzyness
jennagale76 posted:
Hi Dr. P,
I'm one of your patients, and I have a ? for ya. For the past week I have been in a fibro and also an IC flare, and I have been so dizzy that I can't walk straight. It's been happening every few minutes, and has even waken me up from sleep. I've had this problem off and on for a year or so, but it's getting worse, and I never thought about it being related to fibro until now. It's so bad I'm afraid to drive, and my husband has been asking me if I'm drinking. Is there anything I can do about this? I can't function like this. Thanks
Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Jen,

We're glad you're here and I'm sorry you're dealing with the flares and dizziness.

As you are a patient of Dr. P's (lucky you!), you should discuss particulars about your health with him and/or his office rather than on the board, though he can - and I'm sure you will - address the issue in general for all.

(Next time you ask a question here, there's no need to mention you're one of his patients. )
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell
jennagale76 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I thought maybe I wasn't the only one with this problem, hence the message on the board. For specific personal issues I deal with his office directly.
Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to jennagale76's response:
You're right; you're definitely not the only one who experiences this.

I hope that others here will respond too.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell
Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi Jen,

It's never fun being flared-up. It's never fun having fibro in the first place! Fun and fibro do not mix.

Any new symptom that develops during a flare, or anytime, should be investigated. If dizziness is occuring and interfering with balance, walking, driving, then it should be reviewed to determine possible causes and what testing and treatment options may be available.

Dizziness causes include a number of things: fibro flare-up affecting the autonomic nerves including vestibular ones, viral syndrome, medicine reaction, underlying nervous system disorder, etc

Sometimes dizziness and lightheadedness are reported together so other conditions to consider could include metabolism or electrolyte problems, dehydration, heart rhythm changes, low blood pressure issues, etc. A lot of things can be considered, and a lot of treatments are possible depending on the specific cause(s).

If your dizziness has been off and on for the past year, and recently worsened during a fibro flare, you could very well have dizziness as part of your fibro, and managing the fibro may help control the dizziness. I hope you get your function back soon.

Dr. P

Helpful Tips

Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
485 of 560 found this helpful