Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
? for Dr. P about dizzyness
jennagale76 posted:
Hi Dr. P,
I'm one of your patients, and I have a ? for ya. For the past week I have been in a fibro and also an IC flare, and I have been so dizzy that I can't walk straight. It's been happening every few minutes, and has even waken me up from sleep. I've had this problem off and on for a year or so, but it's getting worse, and I never thought about it being related to fibro until now. It's so bad I'm afraid to drive, and my husband has been asking me if I'm drinking. Is there anything I can do about this? I can't function like this. Thanks
Jen

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Jen,

We're glad you're here and I'm sorry you're dealing with the flares and dizziness.

As you are a patient of Dr. P's (lucky you!), you should discuss particulars about your health with him and/or his office rather than on the board, though he can - and I'm sure you will - address the issue in general for all.

(Next time you ask a question here, there's no need to mention you're one of his patients. )
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

jennagale76 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I thought maybe I wasn't the only one with this problem, hence the message on the board. For specific personal issues I deal with his office directly.
Thanks

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to jennagale76's response:
You're right; you're definitely not the only one who experiences this.

I hope that others here will respond too.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi Jen,

It's never fun being flared-up. It's never fun having fibro in the first place! Fun and fibro do not mix.

Any new symptom that develops during a flare, or anytime, should be investigated. If dizziness is occuring and interfering with balance, walking, driving, then it should be reviewed to determine possible causes and what testing and treatment options may be available.

Dizziness causes include a number of things: fibro flare-up affecting the autonomic nerves including vestibular ones, viral syndrome, medicine reaction, underlying nervous system disorder, etc

Sometimes dizziness and lightheadedness are reported together so other conditions to consider could include metabolism or electrolyte problems, dehydration, heart rhythm changes, low blood pressure issues, etc. A lot of things can be considered, and a lot of treatments are possible depending on the specific cause(s).

If your dizziness has been off and on for the past year, and recently worsened during a fibro flare, you could very well have dizziness as part of your fibro, and managing the fibro may help control the dizziness. I hope you get your function back soon.

Dr. P

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
462 of 537 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.