Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dr. P - Cymbalta experience?
scwling posted:
Hi Dr. P - as well as the rest of the community - wondering what kind of experience you have (success or otherwise) with Cymbalta?

My PCP has me starting on that today for a trial.......about 1-1/2 years ago (when the first potential diagnosis of FM was made) I tried Lyrica for about 3 months.....didn't seem to help much, so I eventually got off it (as I typically don't like to take meds).

But, I am willing to try the Cymbalta and am starting today.....so, just interested in the overall experiences.

Thanks
Scott - WI

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi Scott,

I hope you're feeling better already on your Cymbalta trial. I use Cymbalta often as a prescribed treatment for fibro pain. Most of my patients report improvement in their pain, ranging from some improvement to much improvement.

The medicine is usually well tolerated; I review possible side effects such as nausea, constipation, dry mouth, and sometimes, sleepiness. Most of the time, side effects are mild and limited to the first few days of treatment.

Some of the things I like about Cymbalta for my fibro patients include:
- only once a day dosing; I recommend taking it in the morning.
-fast acting; usu know within 2 weeks if it will help
-well tolerated
-can help mood, anxiety, energy, cognition, in addition to pain

Let us know how you are doing!

Dr. P

donnaleeva replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
I just wanted to state that when my PCP started me on Cymbaltait it made my symptoms 10 times worse. It wasn't until I quit using the medication a year later did I realize how much worse it was making me feel. It's not for everyone, especially me.

RedHead2929 replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
I started on Cymbalta 14 months ago. I am having success with it although lately I am feeling pain and muscle fatigue again. Should I let my doctor know and try something else? I am afraid of the withdrawals from Cymbalta, once I skipped 2 days dose and had "brain zaps" so I quickly researched online and discovered you cannot skip doses. That scares me.

debrabrooks1960 responded:
I have been taking Cymbalta for four months now. I noticed a difference the second day of taking it. I still have pain if I over do it, but the pain is not near as bad as it was before taking the Cymbalta. I hope it will work as well for you as it did for me. I also use Stopain roll on that you can buy over the counter at Walmart. It work great on pain too.
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

Pepperika1971 responded:
I was already on Cymbalta for depression when I was diagnosed with FM. I felt it was no longer working for my depression, so my PCP, at my wishes, changed to another med. Immediately I realized how much more I hurt without the Cymbalta. After a week, I asked to be put back on, and the pain greatly subsided. She added Abilify, and I am back on track again. Cymbalta is a lifesaver for me.

Mark Pellegrino, MD replied to RedHead2929's response:
Hi RedHead,

Please let your doctor know of any change in your symptoms. Your docor may choose to adjust or change your medication. Cymbalta is a medicine that needs to be tapered as tolerated if the treating doctor advises that this medicine is no longer indicated. As you know, abrupt discontinuation of this medicine can lead to scary symptoms. A gradual tapering should avoid these types of side effects. Your doctor would be able to advise you on a specific tapering regimen if you needed to come off of the Cymbalta. Check with your doc!

Dr. P

fibroinsd replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
I was on Cymbalta for over a year, and it was great for me. Eventually, I felt I was sleeping too much, and decided to try and do without it. I talked it over with my doc, and she told me how to taper off of it, and that went well. I have been happy I tapered off, and don't use anything now..but it was also great when I needed it. I know it isn't like that for everyone, but that is my experience.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

wind46beach36 replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Hi Dr. P:
Have you had any patients discribe the restless leg syndrome occuring in legs, also occur in the upper extremities, arms, and upper chest from Fibro?
I went thru a episode like this last week, took my restless leg syndrome medicine, the symptoms were relieved after two long hours. I guess it was anxiety occuring from the fibro, what do you say?

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
188 of 205 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.