Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Throat pain, hoarseness with fibromyalgia
01CBAR11 posted:
First it was noted I had hypothyroid and tx began. This improved my eenergy some for awhile then the pain increased and fatique became debilitating.I developed hoarseness immedicately with treatment. It seems less when I feel better overall. The fatique level is as I call it feeling "meal dragging tired". The mental fog made work and small tasks stressful. I am on neurontin 400mg to help me sleep and have to take 100 mg some during the day to keep pain and neuropathy down to tolerable. Headaches occur frequently with it. The throat pain, tongue burning, hoarseness and speech fatique occur often. Is this throat problem characteristic of fibro? My thyroid level is in normal range. Thank you for your feedback.

painfullyexhausted responded:
Hello.. It's been 2 days and nobody has commented on this. I guess I'm curious as well. I do have frequent sore throats, not horrible, just noticeable and I will get hoarse for no reason. I just wrote it off as something else I'll deal with since I have FM. I guess I wanted to respond so maybe others will take a second look at this and give you suggestions or what not and I could learn something as well. We tend to blame everything on FM but with just cause. It's responsible for so many crazy things so you just never know whats going to happen next. Maybe you should ask Dr. P about this, he knows everything I hope you find the answer your searching for. Best of luck.

xperky responded:
I have frequent hoarseness too. I lose my voice when I talk much and people often have a hard time hearing my tiny voice. My hubby says I don't enunciate well also. (I think he is also losing some hearing ability, so it's quite a combo...lol.)

I have found a discussion from a year ago by using "search this community" in the upper right corner. Here is a response by our own Dr. P on the topic:

"...Lots of my patients with fibro and CFS report throat symptoms like you have. There can be non-fibro problems such as acid reflux (right on Squarley!) causing these symptoms, and of course, there are fibro problems that may contribute.

I believe some of the fibro reasons for our throat symptoms include:

1. Dry throat. This causes mechanical irritation and may lead to hoarseness and soreness.

2. Vocal myospasms. Our throat muscles can hurt and tighten up just like our other muscles, leading to vocalization troubles.

3. Throat and vocal muscle fatigue. These muscles peter out quickly on us just like the rest of our muscles, causing a weak, breathy, hoarse voice and fatigue from talking.

4. Allergies. Maybe some of us have more allergy irritation in our throat and vocal areas because of fibro. Fibro makes us more allergy-susceptible because of the dysfunctional immune system common in fibro.

If a cause or causes can be identified, I try to treat them. There is no simple, single fix for this, but hopefully you can work with your doctors to come up with a vocal plan!

Dr. P..."
With Compassion,
Margaret

Mizizzi replied to painfullyexhausted's response:
Friday, Sorry about sore throat. I thought it was my MS. Also having Fibro is not my idea of a good time. Any health problems get thrown into both buckets of illness. Too many unknowns. Must remember that 50 percent of the doctors graduated on the bottom half of their class. Enjoy what you can !

Mark Pellegrino, MD replied to xperky's response:
Thanks Margaret, for finding and posting the previous discussion. I am always challenged when I use the "search this community," so I'm impressed with your skills!

I nominate you for the title "Fibromyalgia Community Historical Navigator." I think that title sounds pretty good, don't you?!

Dr. P

Nigela responded:
Hi I too have all the fibre symptoms but my GP just ignores me-she did an xray and because nothing showed up plus blood tests she doesn't want to see me again-have left side throat pain-top back low back hip shoulder elbow all painful. feel sick with it. Got its-diverticlar symptoms. Tonsil enlarged got lumps on tongue feel shattered after doing work or a day out. Headaches plus nasty stabbing pain in head on one side and a tender bit.

Olliesluv responded:
Hi there, I'm new to this community and joined because I wondered if anyone else suffered the same symptoms as I do. I was relieved to see your discussion on throat issues as I too have severe throat and neck pain. I just had my thyroid tested, along with all other blood tests and it came back normal like yours. This has really become a problem of late, I cannot talk for long periods or I get really hoarse or lose my voice totally. My tongue burns and swells making it difficult to form words right, and my throat tightens and feels like my thyroid swells. I sometimes have the feeling I'm being choked, yet nothing shows up on any tests. I think I have everything going on, pain everywhere, numbness in areas, itching & tingling skin, IBS, and severe jaw pain. I recently had a tooth pulled that I thought was causing this, turns out I had it pulled for nothing cuz the jaw pain is still there. I really hate this, some days I feel like I'm dying. and don't get me started on the mental fog....I sure hope you are having a good day today, I guess that's all we can do, take it a day at a time.

mnfun2bme replied to Olliesluv's response:
Wow, these posts are a year old but I hope someone still follows it. I came across this by googling "hoarse voice and fibromyalgia." I started feeling crappy, just tired all the time and achy joints, in January it was discovered that I was VERY hypothyroid. I'm on meds but was just bumped up again after a retest reflected my thyroid was still a bit off. Recently I tested positive for lupus (which the rheumatologist stated that I don't have but he put my diagnosis in the FM bucket.)
My voice will often go hoarse (throat feels constricted and hurts when it's happening). Tonight, it's quite bad to the point where I don't really have much of a voice. I haven't eaten much today so I don't think it's indigestion or anything. I have quite a bit of pain tonight. Arms are tingling, my eyes are twitching a lot (is that normal?). I'm so tired of all this crap. I don't want to ignore something that may not be related to the FM. I'm a bit frightened right now.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
462 of 537 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.