Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Office Work
Pastrygirl04 posted:
Good morning everyone,

I'm having a flare and hoping for some helpful hints.

I've had FM for many years (over 10), but have blissfuly had long periods of remission between my flares. Unfortunately, I am not in one now..... I work an office job that requires a lot of computer work. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to ease the pain in my wrists and elbows? I'm pretty sure I'm ergonomically aligned, but I could be wrong! I'm also having trouble concentrating, which I assume is hte lovely fibro-fog, so any tips on clearing that as well would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

georgia888 responded:
I believe that sitting for extended periods leads to worse fog. If you must sit, get up & move around as much as possible. This is sound advice for even those non-FMer's.

There are many ergonomic computer accessories available online. Search for these. I once bought from a site known as ergoguy.com. I don't know if it still exists but I'm sure there are many others offering these products, which include ergonomic mice, special keyboards, padded mounds for the wrists, etc.

With regard to the elbows, it is so important to be sitting in a neutral position. Again, this information is all spelled out online. Please research.

Best of luck to you!
georgia

katmandulou responded:
Get up and change the air in your brain! I started my day at a meeting, then back to the office. I got up for lunch at noon, then took the dog into the back yard, where we sat, watched and listened to the birds and the gas company digging up the street, then she got barky. I came in with a reinvigorated brain. Did it again around 3:30, it was great.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I cannot agree more with the advice about getting up as often as you can, move around, get a breath of fresh air. I work long hours here and have to do this throughout the day.

Drink plenty of water throughout the day too to stay hydrated (that can help with the fog too). Others here may have some ideas for supplements to help with fatigue and fog.

And support your arms/elbows and wrists. It may require some changing things around. It can be a bit of trial and error but the sooner you start figuring it out, the better.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Pastrygirl04 responded:
Thank you all for the advice. I had done some research, so I think I'm aligned okay ergonomically. I have all the props...foot stool, wrist rest, etc. I know I need to make a conscious effort to move more. Thanks again everyone!

katmandulou replied to Pastrygirl04's response:
To add to Caprice's comment - water not only keeps you well hydrated but gets you up and going to the bathroom!
Lou

dawncostella replied to katmandulou's response:
I am finding I have a new symptom. I have had soreness in my elbows and wrists, but as of the last 2 days my left wrist feels like it's broken I know it's not broken I haven't done anything that would have caused it to be broken. But man, it hurts so bad. I am even thinking of getting a brace.

Does anyone else have that type of pain with FM?

dollbug replied to dawncostella's response:
Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC...I have had problems with both wrists....in fact...this is where my sickness began...I have had 7 hand/wrist surgeries....2 from broken wrists...(both) and the rest due to carpal tunnel...I have also had right elbow surgery as well...

I worked for a loan servicing company for over 14 years...did a lot of computer work...and this is how I ended up with so many problems...and yes...both hands/wrists/arms gave me problems...major problems...

You might try wearing a wrist brace at night and perhaps elbow brace as well....I have worn them for years now....especially when my hands start hurting a lot...(this has not happened recently though)...

I have also soaked my hands in epsom salts and used hot wax therapy as well...(found out about this at therapy)...

I also sleep in a recliner on pillows....which support my hands/elbows and body as well...my legs...basically I sleep on top of pillows....I have done this since 2005...not by choice though...I do not rest well lying down on a bed....get stopped up trying to breathe when lying flat...(do not know why)...

You might also try using some Stopain Spray (found at walmart)....it is good stuff...and works to help when you can not get the pain to ease....

It is important to make sure that you keep your arms close to your body at all times...if possible....this might make a big difference for you.

Be sure and check out the info under "tips" and "resources" that you will find to the right of this page...

I also want to encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level...which is really important to a lot of people these days...

Take care and good luck..

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

dawncostella replied to dollbug's response:
Thanks Mimi for the advice. Yes, I had my Vit D checked a while ago and I was low. I am taking Vit D3 daily now.

Old1now replied to dawncostella's response:
All of the above are good suggestions. There are also some stretch exercises for your wrists. Positions like praying hands, pointing up and down will give a gentle stretch. Also holding your.arm out with your fingers pointing toward the ceiling and very gently pulling back on the hand with your other hand will provide a good stretch. Hold the stretch but make it slow and gentle. Nothing quick and jerky

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.