Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain and pills
hatingthepain posted:
I want to know of anybody else feels like a drug store like I do. I',m taking Cymbalta, Neurontin,Tramadol,and Trazodone for pain. Then last visit my doc. put me on Flexeril so a can relax and stay asleep. I'm also a diabetic and take 3 pills for that. there has to be something out there for the pain.

georgia888 responded:
I'm sorry to hear of your suffering. My advice to you is that if the many meds you are taking are not helping ease the pain, then don't take them. It continues to amaze & upset me to learn about the ease in which doctors prescribe multiple meds for this condition.

Have you tried warm water exercise in a heated pool? Have you tried any alternative treatments such as acupuncture or massage?

Best of luck to you!
georgia

1wareaglefan responded:
Well, I would say that maybe switching something might help. Does the trazodone not help with sleep? It's an older antidepressant that is usually used off-label for sleep.

Tramadol does help some people, but for others it might not be strong enough. I take hydrocodone for pain, and it does a pretty good job of taking the edge off.

Some people are helped by neurontin, but others are not. I don't know...that's a toughie. I'd talk to the doctor and tell him you're still having pain.

booch007 responded:
Well, it looks like the MD is trying to cover each pathway that your pain could be traveling. NOT that you need to take every pill in the arsenal though.

I like flexeril or Soma for the muscle tension we present with the pain we have. It was added to me for help with sleep, and that it did.

I use a small dose of tramadol for the pain to replace all the motrin i was using, and I still use motrin for the pain when in trouble. Or increase to 2 tabs of my tramodol, when in a flare.

I never did well with Neurontin, didn't work and I was too foggy with it. I need a clear head to do my work. And Cymbalta was a mess for me, dry eyes to the point of plugs and seratonin syndrome came along....so not for me.

I was switched to a small small dose of Savella and it is my bow on the box......brought me down to a pain level that I can function well with.

Please remember we are never pain free. JUST BETTER. If you are new to this diagnosis i will tell you, I was a mess for years trying to FIX myself and get the old me back.....I am in this now about 15 years or better. I do trigger point injections for the last 12 years and I go every two weeks to relieve the tight muscles and free me of alot.......(this is my path I speak of).

We are all different and so many times I say I am CMP not FM, though books put us together. It takes a long time to get your path right. The mix of meds and tools and non medical assistance that works for you. (heat, massage,yoga, stretching......)

One thing that helped so much was the rehydration of my body. I drank alot of POP and I also used alot of artificial sweetners....since the 60's when they were developed. NO MORE.

Water only and plenty of it, I always have it with me...and I found I stretched out better and my feet felt better and the body was smoother with movements.....B I G ! Then the sweetener thing helped as well......

For you, if your sugars have been up over 250-300 this is very dehydrating to the body....so you have to be even more diligent in your care. Splenda is a sweetener not like aspatrtame so OK, Steevia nad Agave even better for sugar replacement as you are diabetic.

This is so trying as we are all a mess in a little different way, yet we are in trouble the same non the less. So, journal find fixes and triggers and learn YOU.

I so wish you didn't join the pack here and that life could have stayed the way it was.......Hugs from afar, Nancy B

P.S: There are 10 pills in my box in the morning! Most supplements with 4 being Rx meds....I have HTN. so swallowing pills becomes an art. All I ask is that my day can get started an hour later!.....Good luck. .

grandmaitty responded:
Oh yes I understand the feeling of drugstore. I make more trips to the drug store than any where else. I cannot take any of the otc pain meds except tylenol, which helps for the lower grade pain. When the pain is bearable hydrocodine does a pretty good job. Massage has als o helped at other times. I have also had to accept the fact I will never be totally pain free.

Hoping you are able to get some relief. It is often a catch22

Old1now replied to grandmaitty's response:
I have a question about pain pills. If I take Lortab it helps a lot with the joint and arthritis pain but has absolutely no effect on the muscle and skin pain. Does anyone else have this division of pain?

painfullyexhausted replied to Old1now's response:
I also feel like a pharmacy ! I do have that division as well, I guess that's why we have so many meds to take. My guess is that the pain meds obviously don't work on the overly sensitive nerve issue with FM therefore there's no reief for the muscle or skin pain. I think it helps a tiny bit but maybe I don't realize it because I hurt so bad so when I get any relief it makes me feel better all over if that makes any sence at all. It's so hard to say what is working and what's not any more. I feel as if I'll never find the right combo so I can make it thru just one day. It would be so amazing if I could get thru the work day with minimal pain instead of pain slapping me in the face all day and taking over my mind and body. We all know what it's like to have pain consume our everyday and it gets so depressing. It changes who we are and how peolple think of us. Very discouraging. I hope you find the answers you're looking for. Best of luck.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Old1now's response:
Hi Old1now,

If no one answers you here, it might help if you began a new discussion with your questions so others can more easily find it and respond.

Let me know if you need help doing that.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.