Skip to content
Laughter Really IS the Best Medicine
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
So what makes you laugh? What movies? What kinds of jokes? What friends, situations, etc.?

And what other strategies do you use to cheer yourself up?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

georgia888 responded:
Hello Caprice,
Although I've seen probably all of them, Seinfeld reruns always make me laugh. I look forward to 6:00 pm every week night & 7:00 pm on Saturday's.

Thank you for subjects distracting us from our misery.

georgia

Teelady1 responded:
My cat cheers me up! She loves to play with toys and always makes me smile.

I love to watch the classic TV shows like The Mary Tyler Moore Show, That Girl, and the original The Bob Newhart Show - they're fun to watch and make me laugh! I have a lot of them on DVD.

Working on my crocheting projects cheer me up, too.

BluePoet67 replied to Teelady1's response:
@Teelady1
You sound JUST LIKE me! Honestly! My cat(s) are wonderfull at cheering me up, even when I just can't be any other way!
I too love the classics like I love lucy, Dick Van Dyke show (with Mary TM) McHale's Navy, and the Honeymooners. I just watch them over and over and over and...well, you get the picture..

I also LOVE crocheting and cross-stitching. I don't do as much and haven't in the past year and half because my hands hurt so much. But I do love it when I can. I miss it when I can't. I have books, patterns and projects that I want to do "before I die" and who woulda thought I would "get" lupus and FM and have this stupid pain so much sometimes that I just can't make anything except a mess.

I just had to write you and say I love your kitty..she looks like one of mine and tell you how much alike we are!!!

BluePoet67 responded:
@Caparice,
Well, honestly not much cheers me up. I am not a happy person and never have been. But I will say that my cat playing does make me laugh. I also like watching old tv shows/movies.

This yr I got season tix to a minor league baseball team in the town I work and I am liking that. I went to nearly all the games last year. Even when I hurt and can hardly walk I still love to be AT THE PARK. Sometimes I have to get up and move, or walk a bit to ease the pain in the back but that's ok too. I like watching the kiddos at the game, sometimes they are funny.

I do like the lady I work with, when she is having a good day she can make me laugh. But she has FM too and has more bad days than good unfortunately for her. But she is a funny person.

I enjoy reading. And just watching some shows on today's tv sometimes relaxes me. I have started watching shows like Pawn Stars, and both Storage Wars, now they can make me laugh.

I guess that's some of the things that make me laugh.
Blue in KY

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to georgia888's response:
Hi Georgia,

I have my favorite shows too that I catch over and over again because they always make me laugh and/or smile.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Teelady1's response:
It's amazing to me how Mary Tyler Moore still holds up after all these years!

And yes, cats... pets of any kind. They can be such goofs, can't they?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to BluePoet67's response:
I have to admit to being envious of anyone who can knit, crochet, cross-stitch, etc. I know HOW and have done each of them but I'm am SO not good at it. LOL!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to BluePoet67's response:
Hi Blue,

It sounds like, despite your description of yourself, you have found things in your life to appreciate and make you laugh. 'tis a good thing.

Teelady1 replied to BluePoet67's response:
Blue,

Yes, it sure does sound like we're very much alike! My kitty was just playing with a toy in the living room a few minutes ago and I found myself laughing out loud! Of course, I tell her that I'm laughing with her - not at her.

Another show classic show I used to love watching was The Carol Burnett Show. I think I need to add some of those DVDs to my collection.

I used to do a lot of cross-stitch - but kind of got burned out. Though, one of these days I need to start again because I have lots of patterns, kits, and a few unfinished projects that I really should do.

I had a period this winter when my right hand was hurting a lot - but it has been better lately - so I've been crocheting again.

Have fun with your kitties, enjoy your TV shows, and take care of yourself!

Teelady1 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Caprice, my cat can be a real goof at times! LOL! And a real sweetie, of course!

Not sure how old Mary Tyler Moore is now - but she does seem to be holding up okay. Another actress that seems to be aging well is Marlo Thomas (That Girl).

Thanks for bringing up this discussion. I'm finding myself smiling at thinking about what makes me laugh and smile!

greenwitch68 responded:
Hi Caprice-
My 5 year old granddaughter cracks me up. Some of the things she says are priceless. Especially when she is trying to explain things to either of my dogs.
I'm a sucker for goofy knock-knock jokes and silly puns.
And I am a little embarrassed to admit that my 20 year old and his friends got me addicted to Aqua Teen Hunger Force (Aqua Unit Patrol) it is sooo raunchy but very clever and funny. If the pain from Fibro is getting to me and I just want to scream, I catch old episodes of it On Demand and it usually helps me forget the pain for a while.
Same goes for the Ricky Gervais Show on HBO.
GW68

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Teelady1's response:
I'm glad you're enjoying it, Teelady! I am too!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to greenwitch68's response:
Hi Greenwitch,

Some of the shows my own sons got me into were interesting too... and often ended up being very worthwhile.

I'm with you, anything that makes me laugh is a good thing.

I'm a Ricky Gervais fan too.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.