Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Dr. P (and others) qestion about fibro and feet pain
1wareaglefan posted:
Hello, Dr. P and all....I wanted to pose this question about foot pain, b/c I've been having such a horrible time with my feet. This has just come up in the past year maybe. Both feet hurt on the bottoms practically all over, and even on the top towards my ankles.

I've been to a podiatrist, who's diagnosed me with a Morton's neuroma, and plantar fascitis. Both of those issues were taken care of. This has been about a year ago. This pain, though, seems different. I'd describe it as aching, and it's mainly when I'm walking.

I buy expensive, (supposedly) good, supportive shoes, and I even have custom orthodics. None of this has helped.

Dr. P, I was just wondering how your fibro patients describe their feet pain to you. What part of their feet hurt? I'm just wondering if this is part of fibro or maybe something else.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and answer.

Elizabeth

KatmanduLou responded:
I too have PF and prescription orthotics, but I also use elastic arch supports. You can buy them over the counter, I wear one very day. It's mainly my right foot, and I think I have a fibroma and there's no safe treatment for it. My podiatrist said the elastic arch supports are fine, I can wear them whenever I need to.

I bought the first couple of arch supports in RiteAid, but the discontinued them, so I just bought more thru Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Pedifix-Arch-Bandage-P60-OSFM/dp/B000RHLKC8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335295043&sr=8-3

Good Luck!
Lou

1wareaglefan replied to KatmanduLou's response:
Thanks for your reply, Lou. I was looking at that site and read about those. It says for flat feet or fallen arches. I have a very high arch. I wonder if it would help that issue.

Thanks!

mssB28 responded:
I also have major feet pain it also started when i fell and it never got better , i live with fibro and it has taken over m life I can handle pain but in my feet its a whole nother story , i have flat feet and its the top of my feet when i get up in the morning the first thing i feel is ack and pain in my feet your not alone

xperky responded:
Good question Elizabeth. I too suffer from different variations on the theme of foot pain. Some of it I can tell is tight muscles and tendons that respond well to stretching and soft-soled shoes. FM? Other pain I have is sharp, in joints that swell and get red, which sounds like RA, not FM. Yet another pain is on the tops of the feet and up toward the ankles, which can also swell.

In any case, walking and standing are difficult, to say the least. The feet are something we take for granted until they complain. I love to take a bath and pamper my feet. They thank me for it!
With Compassion,
Margaret

lb707 responded:
Plantar fasciitis in both feet requiring surgery, multiple stress factors and degenerative arthritis causing lisfranc issues. The only help for that is a surgery to fuse the lisfranc joints. Since the surgery only has a 50% success rate for my problems.. 6 months minimum physical therapy......not happening for awhile.

The lisfranc joints are those small bones on the top of the feet. The left foot is the worse and stays swollen all the time.

I wear custom made orthotics just to walk across a room. There are days I wish they had feet replacements!!!!

I have had the same podiatrist for 14 yrs and he says he treats a lot of patients with FM.

laurab

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi Elizabeth,

Here is a discussion from a while back that incudes my response regarding types of feet pain in fibro.

http://forums.webmd.com/3/fibromyalgia-exchange/forum/15387

Hope this awswers your question. Let me know if it doesn't!

Dr. P

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
447 of 521 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.