Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Opiates for FM
Marylyce posted:
I was reading some comments and saw that some of you were talking about taking opiate pain meds for FM. What are some of the opiate pain meds? Loraszepam? I take this and it seems to help more than anything. Is this wht you mean by opiate pain meds?

Nanny29602 responded:
I've never tried Loraszepam before. The one that I was taking was Demerol, but i've developed an allergy for opiates. I can't even take Tylenol with Codiene. Now I have no real pain meds because of my medication allergies. I don't know of any other opiates, I know there has got to be something that I can take for this pain. I think I'm going to go to The Mayo clinic website to see if there is something that is suitable for people with medication allergies. If anyone knows of anything else that I can ask my doctor about, please inform me, thanks

Anon_57995 responded:
Lorazepam is the generic name for Ativan.
Lorazepam is used to relieve anxiety. Lorazepam is in a class of medications called benzodiazepines. It works by slowing activity in the brain to allow for relaxation.

The following link is a list of commonly-prescribed opiates.

Good luck.

Anon_57995 replied to Anon_57995's response:
http://www.opiates.com/opiates/opiate-library.html

Old1now responded:
Lorazepam relaxes me and that sometimes helps with the pain. I have tried Lortab, which is an opiate. It helped with pain from surgery, but when I took some for the muscle/skin/hurting everywhere pain of Fibro, it had no effect. Did not even touch that kind of pain. It's almost like the Fibro pain travels on a whole different nervous system. I wonder if others have had the same experience.

MMM42 responded:
I take either 60 mg Cymbalta or 50 mg Savella @ bedtime, alternating beween each every 3-6 months. I also take 1200 mg's gabapentin (Neurontin)@ bedtime; 7.5 mg meloxicam (Mobic) ea AM & PM; & 500 mg chlorzoxazone (Parafonforte DSC) ocassionally when my pain feels mostly muscular & not so much nerve ending type,as when it's in skin, joints, or sciatica. The only other med's I take are for maintenance: one each day of Nexium 40 mg (treated for reflux for 30 years) folic acid 1mg, 1 Centrum Silver multi- vitamin, & 2 ea day of Calcium 600mg & vita d3 400 iu's, & an additional 2000 IU's vita d-3 each AM & PM & lastly 1- 81 grain enteric coated asprin each eve @ bedtime. Sounds like more than it actually is. Oh yeah I get a Reclast infusion annually.
My grandaughter who's an LVN says that's enough Neurontin to knock out a horse.
Regardless I'm rarely painfree, my sleep is frequently terrupted
& I feel "hungover" for a couple of hours after waking. Combine all this with the constant "Fibrofog" & I am rendered virtually stupid!
Any suggestions? Especially from you Dr's!!!!

PS Only the Nexium & Parafonforte are prescribed by Family Practioner - the rest by Rheumatologist & both are aware of all meds.

1wareaglefan responded:
I take hydrocodone, and it works great for me. By great, I mean it takes the edge off my pain. But that's enough to keep me from being bedbound.

If your pain's not being managed by what you're currently taking, I'd definitely talk to the doctor about giving you something else. I see no reason to be in pain, when there's help out there.

Good luck! ELizabeth

xperky responded:
Hi Marylyce. As someone else already posted, the lorazepam is not an opiate. Lorazepam does help relax the muscles and with FM the tight muscles do create pain. Some of us also find a muscle relaxer is helpful for the pain.

The opiates can also help some people with FM pain via a different path. Be aware that the body can become dependent over time, so less is best. Same goes for lorazepam and muscles relaxers.

Personally, I find Tramadol very helpful. It has an effect on the opiode receptors but is less powerful than most opiates. It helps me be more active by reducing my overall pain. The body can also become dependent on Tramadol.

Anti-inflammatories are also prescribed for FM pain. Some find them helpful but many don't as FM is not an inflammatory disease.

So, there are so many things to try, if your doctor is willing. I sure hope you are feeling better today!
With Compassion,
Margaret

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.