Skip to content
Fibromyalgia and What Else?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
Fibromyalgia's symptoms are so varied and so often mimic other conditions - and vice versa - that I'm wondering what conditions were you and your own doctors exploring before and since you were diagnosed with Fibromyalgia?

Common Misdiagnoses of Fibromyalgia
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

xperky responded:
Good subject Caprice. Many of us FMers are being watched for other illnesses to show their true selves...or not!

In my case, I have possible MS because of three brain lesions and an episode of optic neuritis a few years ago, plus other stuff. The lesions haven't changed in over two years, so that's good news! I do have some leftover nerve demyelination symptoms once in a while and some of those can mimic FM numbness and tingling and muscle spasms. MS can also cause fatigue like FM fatigue.

My other possible illness is RA. My joints don't show quite enough inflammation yet, and my blood work is mostly negative too. I feel like this is becoming more of a reality lately though as my hands and feet are showing more signs of RA. People with RA can also have FM.

And then there are the tick bites with ring rashes...I tested negative for Lyme though.

The list of overlapping illnesses is long for us FMers, and all those other illnesses are at least as miserable as FM. We must be one tough crowd!
With Compassion,
Margaret

fussellld responded:
Hello, this is my first post. I was first diagnosis with Amyloidosis Jan 2011. I already had osteoartritis. After 3 months of biopsies, test etc. they determined I had localized Amyloidosis, but advised me to go to my rheumatologist for more test for Lupas. My mother die of Lupas and they thought I had it. After many more test and a surgery for my gallbladder they diagnosis me with Fibromyagia. Two months later they added Ra to it and then depression. I already has server asthma which is hard to deal with at times. A couple months later they added high blood pressure, they said more and likely caused from being in pain all the time. A month ago I had my first pre skin cancer taken out. 2 weeks ago they added Diebeties to my list. Next week I am have my second knee replacement. I had a female surgery this year, ankle surgery to support my knee surgery that I having next week. I cannot take tub baths to help the Fm pain because I cannot get up. I applied for disability and was approved the first time. How many times do you hear that? 2 years ago I was in pain but fouls deal with it and worked. Now I don't know what kind of day I am going to have. This last couple years have been hard and I always write on all those doctor froms for occupation: going to doctors and therapy. The sat two weeks they have started home care for me prior to my surgery. My old replacement is a little loose and gives me pain and I am over all weak. I just hope doing this surgery next week in nota mistake. I do feel the doctors have not found the real problem with me. Oh yeah, I had a epidural for my lower back yesterday too and a cortisone shot in my shoulder last week.

Linda

KMT333 responded:
A list. Chronic fatigue syndrome, ADD, severe recurring depression, anxiety with panic attacks and agoraphobia, hypothyroidism, PTSD, year-round allergies, early perimenopause, two decades of sleep problems, memory problems, an undetermined type of macular degeneration, and probably something I've forgotten.

KMT333 replied to KMT333's response:
Migraines, too.

thenikki64 responded:
My first symptoms of FM were diagnosed as insanity:) The neurologist didn't say that, but he did imply it was all in my head. I don't use that doctor any more. I was diagnosed with depression next, and my physical symptoms were attributed to that even though those symptoms did not resolve with antidepressant medication. My leg issues were attrributed to a bulging vertebral disc. The second neurologist diagnosed the FM. Before that, I had been tested for Lupus, Lyme's several times (I have some kidney issues, too, so every doc was thinking these two illnesses were in there somewhere) with always negative results. It has been an interesting journey!
Pam in Savannah

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
It's amazing to me the many MANY other diagnoses that were pursued for each of you.

I hope that getting the FM diagnosis has meant some real understanding and support and better treatment for all of you.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

jennagale76 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Fibro, interstitial cystitis, vulvodynia, sciatica, carpal tunnel, TMJ, IBS, plantar faciitis, depression, and I think I also have CFS, and I have problems with vertigo but I haven't seen my doc for that yet....

xperky replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Yes Caprice, the FM diagnosis was at least something I could wrap my brain around in the midst of many unknowns. However, the MS and RA are still something my doctors are watching for. I think a lot of FMers are in a similar situation.

It's difficult for all of us to go through lots of testing and still not put a name to the symptoms. The FM diagnosis explains so much.

My doctors are treating my FM symptoms, and that is providing great relief. It is much appreciated by me and those around me.
With Compassion,
Margaret

foreversore responded:
For me it is asthma, allergies, depression, anxiety, insomnia, OA, chronic bronchitis, chronic sinusitis, and chronic strep (until tonsils removed) and an enlarged thyroid with normal blood levels of hormones, heavy painful periods and migraines were all before and now we have determined vitamin deficiency, and are getting ready to do an ANA to check for lupus and I am trying to talk them in to testing for Sjogren's and Reynauds as I show many symptoms related to those 2 syndromes. I also injured my neck and upper back at work (8 bulging discs between my cervical and thoracic spine with the one between C4 and C5 impinging on the spinal cord) and I recently had x-rays on my lumbar spine too and they were abnormal ( I get a copy of the report MOnday) oh and I forgot IBS and Restless leg syndrome too.

MMM42 responded:
1st diagnosed with Asthma, as a child. Then with clinical depression by OBGYN 30 years ago. Then with Reynaud's in early 80's. Then multiple seasonal allergies, 5th lombar discectomy '86...TMJ, Vertigo, Osteoarthritis. Next Trigger thumb release & Plantar's Faciitis. Kienbocks & Proximal Row Carpectomy - both carpal tunnel releases, RA, MRI's indicate bad rotater cuffs, knees & hips....anxiety attacks then IBS, restless leg, Fatigue Syndrome & FM. Also PTSD suggested - most recently orthoscopy left knee.
I'm amazed how many overlaps of the same illnesses we are reporting here!!!

foreversore replied to MMM42's response:
I had arthroscopy on my right knee a few years back. I was told that I am flat footed, pigeon toed and knock kneed and that is going to cause me problems with my knees and hips for life.... not happy about that but it is unfixable and not really treatable either. I still get a lot of swelling in both knees and the muscles in my right leg are smaller because I make my left leg do most of the work when I walk...

redschu responded:
with my fibro i also have chiari malformation (many of the symptoms overlap, carpal tunnel, tmj, thorasic outlet syndrome (sp?) (had to have one rib removed), recalled on my last mammogram found calcification wich was in the blood vessel and not the breast itself, they said it was no problem as long as in the vessel not the breast (to me sounds like a problem because if it is in the vessels in the breast it can be any where in the body), "planters foot", the mid third of the muscles in my throat have slowed down and food gets stuck and wont go down, and the list goes on - it seems like every year there is at least one more thing is added on
God bless your day - Carol

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to redschu's response:
It sounds like a lot of you have overlapping conditions... what fun! NOT.

Thanks for continuing to share your own diagnoses and struggles here.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.