Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Sleepless
An_245200 posted:
My son and I have both been dealing with fibromyalgia for about five years. I am doing quite well but he is having a great deal of difficulty. He never seems to get a good night's sleep and when he is sleeping his body is constantly moving in a jerky fashiion. It seems that instead of rest he is getting a workout. He can sleep some during the day but as he is still working a full time stressful job that is seldom and option. he takes adderall to try to keep going during the day but it seems like maybe the adderall is hitting him at night. Like it does not kick in until 12 hours later. He is on morphine and some short term pain killers as well. He also takes Savella. He is fighting depression and is considering having to give up the job he used to love and worked so hard to get. Has anyone else experienced the jerky movements at night?

lb707 responded:
Sleeplessness is still one of my hardest issues....any med that says it may cause trouble with sleeping usually just that for me.
Caffeine and most pain meds have to be timed just right....or no sleep.

I have never tried Savella but after reading about it I decided against it because of possible sleep issues......I cannot take antidepressants due to migraines or insomnia. For me finding ways to sleep helps the pain and fatigue doesn't cure but helps me live better.

He might talk to his doctor about timing of his meds. When my son had surgery on rotator cuff the morphine gave him insomnia for the first time in his life.

Hope you find some answers.

laurab

• a

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....sorry that you and your son are both are trying to cope with the wrath of the dragon....MiMi in NC....lack of good quality sleep will create a vicious cycle of its on....it is so important to try to solve the sleep issue....

I would like to encourage you both to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....which is so important to a lot of people these days....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some of us and it can also affect other illnesses as well...

Stress will also cause problems too....so try to keep your stress levels just as low as you possibly can..

I hope you will check out the info here under "tips" and "resources"....as I am sure you will find something that perhaps you have not thought of trying yet...

Taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts in a stopped up drain....helps to relax my body so that I can sleep better...too tired to do this....then at least soak your feet in this....this works also for me...

Drinking plenty of water and watching what you eat is also a plus....doing gentle exercises or stretches is also good for our muscles....

Learning how to pace, pace and pace some more it a big one for me....I no longer work but I still have to pace whatever it is I try to do...

If I have anywhere to go...then I have to rest a couple of days before I have to do this....in order to be able to get where I am headed and back again...

I am sure you both will soon find something that will help you cope better...but it does take a trial and error process in order to find exactly what your body needs...and this does take time and effort...you should allow at least 6-8 weeks of whatever you decide to do...before making a decision as to whether or not it is helping you...(unless, of course, you are getting worse)...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

painfullyexhausted responded:
Savella wasn't a good med for me, I think it contributed to my restless nights. I had morphine post op total hysterectomy and was a basket case. I couldn't really get into a deep sleep and was some what hallucinating which caused some jerking or thrushing about. I begged them to stop the morphine because I'd rather deal with the pain. I think I would ask his doctor for a muscle relaxer and maybe to switch the Savella and consider a different pain med There's a lot of other meds he can try and they don't have to be the ones that are FDA approved for FM. I recently started Welbutrin which is an anti-depressant (which I need, who doesn't when they're dealing with chronic pain) but it really does help my FM. He also put me on Clonidine which is a blood pressure med ( my bp is fine) to help me sleep and I take Trazadone for sleep as well. I've tried numerous meds over the last 10 yrs and as of right now I'd say this is the best mix for me. Everyone is different and I might have to change again in the future but as of right I'm holding on to hope. Obviously nothing ever takes the pain away but it does take the edge off and I'm sleeping a few more hours at night. Sometimes 5 instead of 1-2 hrs. I'm sure your aware that you have to be proactive and your own advocate when it comes to doctors and meds but you have to be heard or he won't get better. He needs sleep ! This helps so much with pain and depression but you have to find what workd for him. Keep researching and everyone here us helpful and understands 100%

painfullyexhausted responded:
Sorry, I hit submit before I was done rambling on and on but I feel for him and I'm just throwing ideas out. I also love my job but I'm on my feet for 8-9 hrs a day at a busy physician's office and I don't know how much longer I can do it and that alone can cause stress and depression. I hurt so bad at the end of the day, I just want to go home and go to bed. So I understand where he's at right now. I just remembered what else I wanted to say about Adderal. (fibro fog will get you everytime). I also take Adderal to keep me going and on task. I'm prescribed 30mg but I break it in two and take it right before I walk out the door. This does gets me thru the day and is out if my system by early eve. Maybe he can try that. My doctor said that it's ok to do this because I'm not taking it for ADD. Again just an idea. I hope things get better for him. Best of luck.

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Fibro can be hereditary, so it's common to see mothers and sons/daughters with this condition. Everyone's fibro behaves differently, though, even if the same genes are involved. Most everyone with fibro will have issues with sleep. Sleep problems can include abnormal movements and jerking of the limbs during the night.

Periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD) is a condition in which a person's legs, and sometimes arms, move repetitively and uncontrollably while he or she is asleep. These episodes of limb movement can disrupt the sleep, causing insomnia, daytime sleepiness, fatigue, and difficulty concentrating. Restless leg syndrome (uncontrollable urge to move limbs) and myoclonus (sudden jerking movements of legs) are other examples of conditions leading to abnormal sleep movements.

The physician treating the fibro would be able to evaluate this problem and determine if any testing such as a sleep study may be indicated, and whether any treatments such as specific medications may be appropriate to try. I would encourage somone with ongoing sleep issues/limb movement disorders to discuss this problem with his or her doctor.

Dr. P

foreversore responded:
I have restless leg syndrome and tend to "toss and turn" a LOT at night. I recently was made to sleep with a pulse ox meter for a night and they are suspecting sleep apnea as well.

I take meds for the RLS and I have an upcoming sleep study in early June as I can sleep for 12 hours and wake feeling totally unrested. Definitely have your son talk to his doctor. I am hoping the sleep study provides more answers and I can get more rest at night.

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.