Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Good Things?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
We've often talked about our Pet Peeves about having Fibromyalgia but what about the good things that have come from you having Fibromyalgia?

I know it's VERY easy to think it's all been negative but I bet you can find at least one good thing and perhaps more.

For example, having Fibromyalgia has taught me how to prioritize so that I only give my time and energy to things and people which are worth the price in pain and fatigue. That has actually lead to less stress as I simplify my life and rid myself of toxic people.

How about you?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell
FirstPrevious12NextLast

DakotaWilsonFM responded:
ditto Caprice... I too have weeded out the debree in life... it takes all my energy to find the strength to just deal with me... I don't need more negative to deal with...

Being ill has taught me that I have an inner spirit that is strong enough to carry me and in times of need carry my family and friends like you... I not only can be there for me... I have to be there for me or I can't be there for others... and being unable to do a lot... unable to work... barely able to care for myself... I can at least emotionally be there for you... and my family...

I use to feel useless... like a loser... because I couldn't do for my children and loved ones what money could buy... what I didn't realize was my love and just being there for them was a greater gift... just giving of myself was what they wanted...

I put value on my life today where I didn't before I was ill... So much was negative and wrong before... Then I got sick and the illnesses came rolling in... I learned to value life as I know it... and cherish it...

soft and gentle hugs.. luv... Jan/Dakota

lb707 responded:
Simplify

Words I now live by. I have a friend who also has fibro but she keeps collecting things and when you walk into her house you are overwhelmed. People come into my home and feel the peace and open spaces.

Mind you I still have my small tea cup collection, my antique glass slipper collection etc........but I do not add to them. So goes it everywhere, right now I need a few new items of clothing but until something leaves nothing will come in.

I love the less clutter of my house....so I keep a Goodwill box going at all times. Face it the more you have the more you clean and the less time and money you have.

laurab

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to DakotaWilsonFM's response:
I really want to thank you, Jan. I'm going through a period of reflection after some disappointments and your post reminded me that just being here and loving my friends and family is enough.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to lb707's response:
Sounds like you've really figured it out for yourself, Laura. I like less clutter too and went through a big effort a few years ago to do just that and keep it going as I can. Nice.

Fibrofog64 responded:
I know that this may be a little sinical, but my best thing about Fibro is the fact that my Dr. gave me a handicapped parking tag.
Also, I have learned to enjoy the good moments and the little joys in life. I think sometimes we forget the little things until they are taken away.
Cindy

mnjeepguy responded:
I'm a bit more carefull about what I do to help others too and keep away from those who drag me down.

Help those who need it withought doing myself in. I don't just jump right in, consider each situation.

The simple life is one with less stress, less stress means to less pain for me. So any little thing that bothers me, no matter how small, gets dealt with promptly. I used to let everything build up inside.

redschu responded:
when i had to quit working, early 90's, it took a while but i finally realized that i was meant to be home for my children, who were in grade school, our home was the place kids hung out (i was called "mom" by a few), i was home when thy got home from school whether they had a good day or a bad day (like when my daughter was in high school when Columbine happened, which is a few hours from us, and the talks of threats of bombs at her high school following), i'm so glad i was there for them through all the years which i would not have been had i been following my career, now i get to spend a lot of time with my grandsons!!!
God bless your day - Carol

Rosalenna responded:
I have yet to find the positive side to fibro, but then again I have to continue through each day like there is nothing wrong with me. My husband and family don't want to except the fact that there is anything wrong. And they do not want to even understand what fibromyaliga is.

Wait.... I guess the positive thing about this is the fact that I found all of you and that I finally gt up the courage to post something. So for this I must say. Thank you!!

jennagale76 replied to redschu's response:
I agree with redschu. Not being able to work allows me to be home with my kids. I've been home since 4 months before they were born, (bedrest-preterm labor)~(4 year old b/g twins). Of course we miss my income. But I LOVE the fact that I'm always there for my children. It would be so hard to be a working mother, even though that was our plan, it fell through. I'm so glad that I don't have the stress of being a working mother. That's the most positive thing about it for me.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Fibrofog64's response:
Hey, Cindy, finding a silver lining is always a good thing!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to mnjeepguy's response:
Hi MNJeepguy,

It sounds like you've figured it out too.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to redschu's response:
Hi Carol,

Having FM also ensured that I ended up being home throughout my kids' growing up years. It's not all bad.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Rosalenna's response:
I'm glad you found us, Rosalenna.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to jennagale76's response:
Hi Jennagale,

Good to hear you also found something positive.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
188 of 205 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.